Question--length of string or chain for pendulum

Grizabella

I want to make a pendulum but since I haven't used one much, I thought I'd ask here in Divination what length would be a good length for pendulums, just in general.

And the weight on the end doesn't have to be pointed, I don't think. What do people usually prefer about that?

Penthasilia

I like my pendulum length to be around 8-12 inches- enough to see a good swing.

The end doesn't need to be pointed- just hold enough weight to comfortably move. I have one with a pointed end, and one without.

Though- in all honesty, I love the one I make in a pinch when I need a pendulum and don't have mine. Thread a needle with the appropriate length of thread- stick it into a pencil with eraser and voila- instant made pendulum. :D

Grizabella

So it also doesn't matter what the weight on the end is? Just so long as there IS weight to swing it?

Penthasilia

So it also doesn't matter what the weight on the end is? Just so long as there IS weight to swing it?

Yes- I would go by the feel of it- as long as it has enough weight to give it a nice swing, then that would do it! :)

Elven

This is how I measure mine:

Grab a long piece of string/ribbon/tiger tail wire (whatever your using) and place it between your pointer finger and thumb as if you were holding your pendulum
Put your elbow on the table with your arm straight up - make your hand like a duck mouth :D and bend your wrist over.
Now pull the string through your 'duck' fingers until it reaches the table top.
Now grip the long end of the string in your duck hand and cut it off just below your wrist or a little further if you need more length to tie your pendulum onto it.

You should now have the length you need.
Use the string as a guide.
Add a bit of length if you want to tie the pendulum to your string or attach the pendulum to the string before you cut it.

:D

Hiding in Shadows

The bottom line of the pendulum is that it has to swing. A larger mass or a longer chain will give an increased swing. I've seen formulas for this, but it comes down to how you intend to use the pendulum. When doing energy work on a person, a longer chain is desirable. You want a larger swing to cover more area. If using a small chart, you don't need or want too much of a swing, so a shorter length is needed. The tip is the same idea. If working over a small chart or item, a tiny pointed tip is best. It's all a personal choice. I like a chain length of no more than 6" for my small charts and 12" for other needs. Again, I like a slender pendulum with a tiny point for the charts and Large, heavy pendulums for other work.

Amanda

I used to wear a flourite necklace that I used as a pendulum that was about 12"-15" long. I got an actual pendulum that is about 8" long including the weight (the chain is more like 6" on it). I prefer the shorter one.