Questions

LaLaBella

After you have gone through all of the majors, are all of you going to go into the numerological aspects of the minors? Thanks.

jmd

DollChica, the question you ask I found a difficult one to answer, so I'm pleased that Diana has provided such a wonderful one.

I suppose that we could, as per the Major Arcana, discuss their varied depictions, and thus also include their possible implied (or preferred) meanings. On the other hand, I tend to agree that proper discussion belongs to the Using Tarot Cards section.

Having threads which discuss the meanings of pips unillustrated with scenes may focus discussion - though it should be remembered that even Waite and Colman-Smith used both historically available depictions (Sola-Busca) and commentaries (Papus).

ihcoyc

There are any number of topics that might "belong" in a discussion of the historic pip and court cards. Some that occur to me are:
  • The importing of traditional decorations such as grace the 2 Deniers and 2 Coupes into the RWS and Thoth traditions;
  • The origins of the suit symbols;
  • Marseilles style pips (geometric designs with straight "bâtons" and curved épées) v. Spanish style pips (with individual bâtons and épées); is it significant?
  • The attitude and pose of the court card figures.
  • The showering whatevers on the Marseilles aces of bâtons and épées; do they really] mean anything? Then was it a mistake for RWS to add them to the ace of cups?
  • The historic sources of card readings. We know about half of the meanings given by Waite derive from Etteilla. Where did the others come from?
  • The meaning of the traditional names for the court cards beneath king and queen; specifically, the Italian fante does not strike me as a direct translation of the French valet. Which is original/authentic and which is innovation? Does it make a difference?
Forgive if the list strikes anyone as petty or academic. I don't profess to have answers, or even strong opinions, on any of these questions.