reading disaster

lupo138

dear all,

last saturday I gave a introductory course about Tarot as I have been doing for the last five years. At its end I do always some reading so people get an idea how to do it. Usually I silently speak a little prayer because I do not take a reading for granted. This time I forgot and it was a desaster.
An elder lady asked for her future in business and although the final card was the 7 of pentacles I could not see she is just waiting to retire within a few months.
All was there, but I did not see. What astonishes me most, is that I was not even aware the prayer had been missing until afterward this "reading".
I would like to learn about your opinion. Any statement / advice is highly welcome.

Kind regards

ana luisa

Many readers use rituals to "prepare" their spirit for the reading. Some burn incense, some drink tea, some pray. Your ritual is the prayer and once you forgot to tell your "reading self" that the reading was about to start, you got reader's block. That's what I think probably happened.

shadowdancer

Aww bless you.

A couple of things really. The fact you genuinely forgot your prep ritual should not have affected your reading. Spirit would not work against you in that way - they would not usually get 'huffy' if that makes sense. And when you think about it, you only realised after the reading, so would not have been putting up a block as you did not have the knowledge at the time of doing the reading.

Even those of us who have been reading for a few years still get it wrong at times, or miss the signs which in hindsight are obvious. That is the glory and irony of hindsight.

Don't be too hard on yourself. And if anything, you have learned something from this - another interpretation for the card in question which will be nicely filed in your subconsious and memory banks should it be applicable in the future. Believe me, we have all been 'guilty' of seeing but not understanding or realising the significance. It is just a shame we beat ourselves up about it after, forgetting it is not humanly possible to be right with everything, every time we do a reading

take care

Davina

Alta

I agree with ana luisa. In my exercise class, we often do some balance exercises, and the instructor has us do it once, and then says "Now, you body knows what to do, let's really do it", and we generally can.

Your prayer signaled your mind that you were in reading mode and without it you couldn't see as you normally might have. Plus I would never underestimate the power of prayer.

shadowdancer

I totally understand what you are saying Alta - I have a prayer ritual I go through when I do a reading. I also have a closing prayer for after the reading, by way of thanking all the energies who have helped me. I certainly do not underestimate the power of such preparation. It certainly sends out our intent for the work we are about to undertake.

However, I have found myself drawing cards at work in difficult situations where there has been no time to prepare as I usually do. I have found in those circumstances the messages still came through okay, even though I had not undertaken my usual preparation and prayer ritual. I think if you forget on the odd occasion, as said in my previous post, I don't think it would necessarily affect the outcome. I am sure we have all been in situations where with all the best preparation in the world, we have occasionally misinterpreted or missed something of relevance. I don't think this can be attributed to the fact we forgot one of the steps in the preparation etc.

Just my thoughts, but I do respect and understand the relevance of prayer or mantra. I use it myself.

Davina

Elven

luop138 said:
last saturday I gave a introductory course about Tarot as I have been doing for the last five years. At its end I do always some reading so people get an idea how to do it. Usually I silently speak a little prayer because I do not take a reading for granted. This time I forgot and it was a desaster.
An elder lady asked for her future in business and although the final card was the 7 of pentacles I could not see she is just waiting to retire within a few months.
All was there, but I did not see. What astonishes me most, is that I was not even aware the prayer had been missing until afterward this "reading".
I would like to learn about your opinion. Any statement / advice is highly welcome.

Hi lupo :)
Im wondering what you said which made you feel that you were incorrect?

Im just offering another version here, one from my feelings on reading your thread ... and do you know what ... this lady may not be retiring as she see's it within the next 2 months, and you may not have seen 'it' because it may not happen - though she may have the intention of retiring - something may change - she may have to stay longer than she expected.

Aside from that - stand firm on your reading and what conclusions and outcomes that came to you. The ommission of the prayer does not negate your skills - your talent and ability lies within you and not somewhere outside of you. What ever you call in to help you, who ever you evoke, and whenever you evoke them or it - who ever you pray to - they are there with you no matter what you are doing - reading Tarot or washing up.

I dont feel you made a mistake with the reading, but maybe made a mistake discounting yourself and your skills and the reading she got. If you feel what you said was correct, dont appologize or assume a disaster - you may just find this lady turning up in 3 months time telling you that what you said WAS correct. Stand your ground and be patient - the answer to this will reveal itself.

Cheers
Elven x

shadowdancer

well said Elven! :D

lupo138, I hope you can take heart from some of the feedback here. I think you were fine in what you said. Elven has put another possible and very positive slant on the issue

:)

Davina

lupo138

thx!

thank you all for your friendly words.
I did not see anything that was off the spot, I just said I think something new, but moneywise irrelevant, is slowly becoming more important and advised her not to change the job. The rest of it I was rather uncertain and admitted it frankly.
Anyway, the 7 pentacles will be branded into my memory - and that´s the good part of it, exactly like Davina wrote

shadowdancer said:
And if anything, you have learned something from this - another interpretation for the card in question which will be nicely filed in your subconsious and memory banks should it be applicable in the future.

Your friendly and calming words already had their effect, I do indeed feel already much better. Thank you again and best wishes to you.

starrystarrynight

lupo138 said:
All was there, but I did not see.
Ah, perhaps this was nothing but an opportunity to tell your class that the cards are always right, but the human reader sometimes misinterprets them. We are human and fallible. We can't hope to always get it right.

I don't think missing your ritual had anything to do with the "mis-read" (which, as Elven said, may not even have been a mis-read when it comes right down to it. The lady may not be able to retire as scheduled for some reason.)

All, food for thought...