Relationship Described by 10 of Cups

SweetSiren

I read somewhere around here something that I really liked concerning the ten of cups. It had to do with the rainbow and how that beauty only exists with the right combo of rain and sunshine. The perfect image of harmony. One could say this is like the balance of taking the good with the bad... this card suddenly took a much stronger Yin Yang vibe then The Lovers, at least in my eyes.

Anyway, how would you guys interpret this card describing a relationship, or status of one? Are the people apart? Together? Letting go of each other... appreciating each other? I say this because some people adhere to the idea that tens are about completing cycles and transitions. How much weight does that really carry in your interpretations concerning this card? In this moment, I see it as a relationship in which the two involved completely and deeply understand each other and feel very good together. They accept each other's flaws and joyously embrace the good.

Any thoughts?

werewolfmoon

Well the tens are all about completed cycles; The 10 swords is the darkest hour before dawn, things will get better as the bottom has been reached, over thinking things. The ten of Wands is burdens and hard work leading to completion. The 10 pents is to me, the family, stabilty, closure of any issues. The 10 of cups is not my fave card, but to me it represents the 'happy ever after' reaching for the rainbow, Prince and Princess Charming running off into the sunset with 2.4 children and the dog.

Personally I prefer the 2 and 3 of cups in a relationship reading with a pentacle to ground things, a wand for passion and a sword for intellect. As Im a recently divorced woman maybe that makes me deeply cynical. ;-)

magicjack

When the 10 of cups shows (and with other cards supporting it) it's a fairytale happy ending. It's such a beautiful card! but since it is a ten, we have to be careful of our cups overflowing. Like you mentioned, a perfect balance of rain and sun. It's kinda like "to much of a good thing" sometimes depending on surrounding cards and the position. The cups overflowing can become unbalanced. I personally don't see this card like that, but it sure can mean that.

jolie_amethyst

When the 10 of Cups turns up in my personal readings, it's a reminder that the "perfect relationship" doesn't end with the "fairytale" happily ever after. What we don't get to see in the books & movies is that life still goes on, and that a good, solid relationship still takes a LOT of day to day work. The card is usually a nudge to me that if I want to keep the vision promised in it, there's probably a part of my life or myself or the actual relationship that needs some effort put in today to maintain it.

It's also a reminder to appreciate what you have when you have it--things can be taken from you by Tower events at any time.

etherealtarot

I see this as happiness in every sense of the word. Truly a lovely card.. I dealt this card a few hours before I met a special friend for the first time :) It was magical. We were both so giddy.

SweetSiren

Reading these responses makes me think it could describe a relationship in which they feel the other is like them & vice versa. Like finding someone who you feel is part of your tribe, thus feeling complete.

Magic jack- that is a good thing to keep in mind with this card- how it can be too much of a good thing when certain other cards show up. By itself, I definitely don't see it, but with others I think it's a valid observation. Thanks!

Jolie- I like that you associate a bit of effort with this card. I always saw it as letting everything be and enjoying it. Sometimes it does take a bit of effort in order to enjoy it all. After all, how we see the world comes from within.

I definitely don't see this card as the happy ending. Probably because I know there is no such thing. I have a fine understanding that all things pass, so it is irrelevant to note that with any card (although they could serve as reminders of what to look for, as we all need those at times). It's almost like desperate, lonely people have jaded the open discussion of tarot. We always feel we must mention how temporary everything is! Sometimes I think this gets in the way of truly exploring cards. But I do understand. we must exercise caution when discussing tarot as it plummets into the souls of others no matter how ready they are.

SweetSiren

I see this as happiness in every sense of the word. Truly a lovely card.. I dealt this card a few hours before I met a special friend for the first time :) It was magical. We were both so giddy.

Daw that's great! What a lovely card indeed.

DamianStraton

It's a very good card. Here is what Waite has to say about it. "Contentment, repose of the entire heart; the perfection of that state; also perfection of human love and friendship". It doesn't get much better than that.

Richard

The cycles of the pip cards are not necessarily temporal (time related). It's not like this: "Now we are at the 10 of Cups. This must end before we start over again at the Ace of Cups." That's much too simplistic. The cycles of the pip cards are conceptual, not temporal. The perfect happiness of the 10 of Cups may involve an awareness of the universal love principle, represented by the Ace, whose concrete realization is the love between two people (the 2 of Cups), and so on . . . The pips constitute a logical sequence of concepts, not necessarily a temporal sequence of events.

The 10 of Cups is no more of an ending than the Ace of Cups is a beginning. They are merely different aspects of the Cups principle in our lives.