Reoccurring dreams

Metra

My entire life I have had these dreams that some kind of entity lives in the woods that surround my house. In some dreams I just know something that I don't feel comfortable with lives in the woods. Usually I can feel it watching me, but I never actually see it. Other times vicious animals will come out of the woods and walk around the yard. If I'm already in the yard when they come out they will chase me and try to attack me. Usually these animals are coyotes or lions, but sometimes they're just weirdly deformed creatures.

Most of the dreams have the theme that I'm outside in the yard or about to go outside when the animals or creatures will suddenly come out of the woods, leaving me trapped inside. Other times the theme is that I have to go into the woods to "find something" once in the woods it's extremely dark and I have a bad feeling the entire time. Usually an animal or just an unseen force will try and attack me. In a few dreams I'll venture into the woods and end up finding a good entity that usually takes the form of a young girl and she'll help me out in some way.

Also I wanted to note, in the dreams where I go into the woods there's usually one or more dilapidated structures such as forts, shacks, once a mansion.

I've lived in the same house my entire life and I've always felt comfortable where I live. I like to take walks out in my woods and I never feel anything sinister. Do these dreams mean anything?

celticnoodle

What a frightful dream to have! I know dreaming of lions is generally a dream of power, strength and courage--but to be attacked by a lion in a dream usually points to self destruction and indicates the need to confront and overcome challenges in your life. The coyote in a dream speaks of deception and weakness and being attacked by a coyote is also indicating the dreamer is struggling in life. Is there something going on in your life when you have these dreams? Do you struggle with change in your life, which then brings on these recurring dreams?

You mention when you are in the woods, they suddenly become dark--which is also indicating in life you are being kept in the dark about something or that something in your life is not beneficial to you--it could be a sign you need to make changes of things in your life that you are ignoring.

I find it interesting that you encounter a good entity, generally in the image of a young girl who helps you. Perhaps this is indicating you need to rely more on your childlike and innocent qualities in some way.

The whole dream is one that is fearful and speaks of danger lurking in the background that now and again comes out to chase you and keep you trapped inside. So, it makes me think you are not open about something that is going on in your life. You hold back or perhaps you are refusing to change things that need to be changed in your life.

Just a few thoughts that may help you.

RiverRunsDeep

Love the ideas you came up with, celticnoodle!

I've lived in the same house my entire life and I've always felt comfortable where I live.

Just a general idea to add. The house represents where you are comfortable. So, maybe the woods represent the areas in which you are uncomfortable. Maybe it is time to begin stepping outside of your boundaries and getting outside of your comfort zone.

celticnoodle

Love the ideas you came up with, celticnoodle!

Just a general idea to add. The house represents where you are comfortable. So, maybe the woods represent the areas in which you are uncomfortable. Maybe it is time to begin stepping outside of your boundaries and getting outside of your comfort zone.

T.Y. and yes, you are right (and I like how you put it here too). Perhaps it is all about stepping outside of your boundaries and comfort zones.

Metra

I am a shy person. Over the past few years I've been working really hard to get past my shyness and I've made a lot of progress so it worries me a bit that I'm still having these dreams if they truly mean there's something I'm holding back.

celticnoodle

I am a shy person. Over the past few years I've been working really hard to get past my shyness and I've made a lot of progress so it worries me a bit that I'm still having these dreams if they truly mean there's something I'm holding back.

This makes perfect sense then to me re: your dream. I'm dead tired now -and too tired to think and explain here tonight. I'll come back sometime this weekend and elaborate. I can see though that your shyness is why you are having this dream, and as RRD mentions,
it is time to begin stepping outside of your boundaries and getting outside of your comfort zone.

Trust me, you can do it. I did in similar circumstances. I'm still working at it, but its not as scary as before. So, if I can step outside of my comfort levels, I am sure you can too! I'll be back sometime this weekend and will PM you when I do post my thoughts again.

Metra

This makes perfect sense then to me re: your dream. I'm dead tired now -and too tired to think and explain here tonight. I'll come back sometime this weekend and elaborate. I can see though that your shyness is why you are having this dream, and as RRD mentions,

Trust me, you can do it. I did in similar circumstances. I'm still working at it, but its not as scary as before. So, if I can step outside of my comfort levels, I am sure you can too! I'll be back sometime this weekend and will PM you when I do post my thoughts again.

Sorry for getting back to this so late, but thank you for that it means a lot! I definitely have noticed the progress I've made and people I'm close to have noticed too, but I know I'm still not 100% there so having these dreams is kind of frustrating.

RiverRunsDeep

Sorry for getting back to this so late, but thank you for that it means a lot! I definitely have noticed the progress I've made and people I'm close to have noticed too, but I know I'm still not 100% there so having these dreams is kind of frustrating.

Congrats on your progress, Metra! Try not to be too frustrated. IMO, our dreams reflect what is going on in our subconscious. So, even if you are making progress in your waking life, your dreams could still be reflecting the worries and anxieties you carry in your mind. Your dreams will eventually catch up with reality, especially as you continue to progress.

celticnoodle

Congrats on your progress, Metra! Try not to be too frustrated. IMO, our dreams reflect what is going on in our subconscious. So, even if you are making progress in your waking life, your dreams could still be reflecting the worries and anxieties you carry in your mind. Your dreams will eventually catch up with reality, especially as you continue to progress.

Sorry Metra, I only just noticed this today, and I agree with what RiverRunsDeep has posted above.

Its not easy to let go of worries and anxieties, but as you are making progress, and you know this is so--it will get easier for you. Good luck to you. One day, you will be there!

((:)heart:)))

JoJoCat

Ah, I understand this! And so I say, gently, that being frustrated with yourself for your dreams is self-harming in a way. Have you stopped to take stock of how far you've come? You may find that being kind and gentle with yourself for your incredible progress to date makes the dreams fade a bit. In my experience, beating myself up about something creates a vicious cycle and that may be leaking into your dreams in a way too. Hope this makes sense; and hugs.