Rider Waite Tarot Deck: Deluxe Edition

jerzy

Has anyone ever come across this deck recently? It's been out of print from US Games Systems for about 5 years and I'm desperately tryining to get hold of one for just as long.

It comes in a purple box with a small picture of the Magician on the front, and the cards themselves are beautiful to look at with the colour and detail, and they have golden gilt edges.

If anyone comes across a deck (or two...I know someone else who'd like one), could they PM me please.

Abrac

You have a PM

Abrac

I have a version of the RWS deck that was published a few years after the Rider De Luxe which has an image quality and finish that are virtually identical to the De Luxe. They have a good coating (but not excessively so like the latest version), and have calligraphic titles. Granted, it isn't a De Luxe, but it is one of the nicer versions of this deck I have seen, and is readily-available.

The Rider De Luxe was published in 1990 (according to Holly Voley, 1989 according to Amazon). Kaplan's Encyclopedia of Tarot Vol.3 was published in 1990. In the LWB that comes with the De Luxe, there is no mention of Vol.3, but in the LWB that comes with this other deck Vols.1-3 are advertised. The sequence of numbers on page 2 of the LWB of the De Luxe are 32-40, while those of the other LWB are 42-50.

jerzy

That's interesting. According to US Games Systems who first published the Deluxe deck, there were several versions, each published in different languages, hence the differing ISBN nos on them. The ISBN of the English version is 0880794216. I've come across lots of Spanish, Italian, Dutch and German versions that are still floating around, but no English ones.

northsea

I have an english RWS deluxe with the purple slipcase and gilt, but without lwb.

jerzy

Northsea....how long ago did you get it , and where did you find it. PM me if you prefer.
Regards
R

jackdaw*

I've also come across the ISBN 3905021102, billing itself as the "Rider Tarot Deluxe Ed", also by US Games and published in 1996. Anyone know this one?

Abrac

QueenofPentacles said:
I've also come across the ISBN 3905021102, billing itself as the "Rider Tarot Deluxe Ed", also by US Games and published in 1996. Anyone know this one?
Hi QueenofPentacles-

This is the one I have. I believe it may be an edition that was published for a non-US market. That is my best guess anyway. I got mine from a seller in Australia. I don't know where it originated. It is identical to US edition except for the ISBN.

jackdaw*

Okay, makes sense. I wasn't sure, as I could find reference to it but no pictures. Thanks, Abrac :)

jerzy

I've just recently tracked down and picked up a the Rider Tarot Deluxe, and it's the one with the ISBN 3905021102. At the top of the box it is printed "Made in Switzerland by AGM AGMuller Swiss Playing Cards CH-8212 Neuhausen" "Copyright sign U.S. Games System, Inc. Stamford. CT. 06902"

Looks as though this was published for the European market as you say. I couldn't say whether the cards are identical to the US printed version, but to me, the art appears very much rougher and not as detailed as the Original Rider Waite Deck. Also, I find that the colouring is over-saturated on this printing. I'm going to scan the cards and post a link when I have the time....78 cards are going to take a while to scan.

Thought I'd be impressed with the Deluxe Rider Deck over the Original Rider Waite, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Apart from the gilt edges, the cards themselves appear to be inferior in quality as regards art and colouring.

Any comments from anyone who has a US published deck?