Room as an alter?

theFeeLion

Hi people :)

I have been thinking about making the small spare room into my alter. However I'm not quite sure how this would work , or even if it would be a good idea. It's a room that I currently do massage in and will continue to do once everything is set up. I feel like I'll be better able to help/heal people when they come in. My thoughts are to dedicate each wall, which just so happen to be on the compass points, to the four elements.

I would love to get your thoughts on this idea. If this was your room/alter what would you do? What would be the pros/cons of having a room as an alter?

:heart: Fee

celticnoodle

Hi people :)

I have been thinking about making the small spare room into my alter. However I'm not quite sure how this would work , or even if it would be a good idea. It's a room that I currently do massage in and will continue to do once everything is set up. I feel like I'll be better able to help/heal people when they come in. My thoughts are to dedicate each wall, which just so happen to be on the compass points, to the four elements.

I would love to get your thoughts on this idea. If this was your room/alter what would you do? What would be the pros/cons of having a room as an alter?

:heart: Fee

Oh, I think this would be a lovely idea! I have one of our spare bedrooms where I have my "altar" set up as well. However, it also serves as the guest room when people are visiting and staying the night. However, in your case, as the spare room is also your massage work, I think that is a lovely idea that could also help to put your client into a calm and relaxed state the moment they walk in and even before you begin the massage!

I would recommend painting the walls a soft, calming color as well, soft light blue comes to mind for me--and then since it is also a massage room, so I imagine you need to keep all your items for the massage (oils, etc) in there--I'd keep the rest of the things for your altar at a minimum, but still obvious. clutter tends to create too busy a room and can take away from what you would want your massage room to be.

Ovearll, I think this sounds very lovely and I hope you will post pictures of your finished room! :thumbsup: Good Luck!

theFeeLion

Thanks Celticnoodle :D this is my first time setting up an alter and I may be being a little ambitious lol

If you want I'll try and take pictures of what I have so far tomorrow if I get a chance :)

At the moment the walls are a deep almost navy blue. I have a dream catcher type thing that I made hanging in the window of the air side. I have some candles sitting on the windowsill of the fire side but I think I'm going to switch that side to earth as I'm in the southern hemisphere and the fire/south thing has never really gelled with me. For me north is hot and south is cold so it makes more sense to have the elements aligned that way.

I have a trolley that houses my oils and a little table that is currently full of stuff including my manifestation box and other little bits a pieces. I really should clear it off lol.

I'm a bit stuck with what to have to represent each element. I won't be able to have candles on the new fire side as there is a wardrobe taking up the wall. I have some river stones and bits of drift wood I can use but I'm not sure whether to use them for earth or water

BodhiSeed

Hi theFeeLion! :) I have a meditation room with lots of mini altars all around. What is in there has meaning for me. It is the place I've set aside to not only meditate, but to journal, do yoga, read contemplatively, do tarot readings, etc. But it is also where I often meet with the ladies I mentor. It is a sacred room for me, and so I limit the activities I do there. Here are some photos:

Attachments

• MedRoom1.jpg
    MedRoom1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 244
  • MedRoom2.jpg
    MedRoom2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 260
  • MedRoom3.jpg
    MedRoom3.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 235

Tanga

@theFeeLion and BodhiSeed - you lucky devils to have whole rooms as space for Altar and meditation! How wonderful - it would be my dream to have space for such a room - with a quarter Altar in each corner (the corners in my present house line up with the cardinal points) - and then - my meditation/ritual room would probably look similar to yours BodhiSeed.

For clients - a quiet room with obvious "spiritual" corners would have a wonderful calming and centering impact when they walk in - even before you begin the treatment. :thumbsup: (keep the clutter minimal as Celticnoodle suggests).
In essence - you will have created a magickal/sacred healing space for them to lie in.

The only 'con' to having your therapy room also be your meditation room - is the idea that residual energy from your clients worlds of drama, and your personal meditative world -
may cross over... or from another perspective - how well can you separate yourself/your mind from this idea? - if it is indeed one you have at all.
It may not be an issue. Or like me - you may enjoy a plethora of "energy clearing" ritual
to "smooth away" such creases in the aether here. :)
I have rattles and tibetan bowls in my room. And some large chunks of crystal in the corners. Plus I use room sprays (incense and smudging less often - smudging smells like weed :D - and I'm extremely snobby about incense).

I sometimes meditate in my therapy room at night :heart: (the walls are soft pistachio green, the washable carpet is dark green. The linen is blue couch covers and face towels, purple body towels :love:) - it's alot more peaceful than any other space in the house (devoid of clutter, washing, work books - only towels and therapy tools/books neatly stacked on the back wall in there) - and wildly unlikely that my partner will barge in because it's unofficially "offlimits" for him. :joke:
(He tends to barge in everywhere else - except the bathroom which I can lock).
Only thing is - when I do that - my cat insists on joining me. And she's really not allowed in there. :) :) (y'know - cat fluff and allergies etc. for clients).

ncharge

I have an altar room. It is wonderful! The entire room builds up a sacred feeling. Well worth it.

BodhiSeed

@theFeeLion and BodhiSeed - you lucky devils to have whole rooms as space for Altar and meditation!.
I started out with just a bed tray with a few items on it hidden under the bed when all three kids were still at home.:D
I have an altar room. It is wonderful! The entire room builds up a sacred feeling. Well worth it.
I agree that there is a peaceful, calming feeling in such rooms; others often comment on it when they sit down in it.

Tanga

I started out with just a bed tray with a few items on it hidden under the bed when all three kids were still at home. :D

I have little Altars around the house. :). Two are "working" ones - where I change stuff on them and leave spells (prayers) to mature.
Windowsills are good.
And I have a Tarot Altar tacked to my bedroom wall (cut out plastic pockets that I can slip cards into) - opposite the Kung Fu (3rd form) poster. :joke:
My tiny back yard has 4 quarter Altars in it. The South Quarter is the "working" one.

If I plan an indoor ritual - I may put together a specific Altar for it (I have a collection of
props), locking myself in the office space, and "drawing" the circle on the floor.

Out in the coppice (behind my tiny back yard) I have a little corner set up where I go and
sit at full moon and do ritual or contemplate the night. I sometimes bring and set up an Altar - sometimes not. :) :) :).

(I'm currently not in a ritual group - outdoor groups meet in the woods and do the same space clear and Altar set up stuff - take it all away when done. Indoor groups will have quarter Altars in the appropriate corners of the room that is their current "Temple/Sacred Space".).

celticnoodle

If you want I'll try and take pictures of what I have so far tomorrow if I get a chance :)
that would be GREAT! :)
how about for the fire part a Himalayan Salt Lamp? You can find them that plug in and light up and it also is wonderful for cleaning the space, if you leave it plugged in all the time. I also have some that are candle holders and will hold a small votive size candle--which you could light when you are using the room. No aroma at all--they just glow and are really very nice and calming in themselves, I think. See here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M15T9S...t=&hvlocphy=9005146&hvtargid=pla-300395579980

for the water - perhaps a small indoor "water fountain"--something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Fountain-Wat...=8-1&keywords=water+fountain+for+inside+house

the earth side I think what you mentioned is great! the driftwood and rocks. that will be really pretty and you have a fantastic air piece already.

just some thoughts.

Hi theFeeLion! :) I have a meditation room with lots of mini altars all around. What is in there has meaning for me. It is the place I've set aside to not only meditate, but to journal, do yoga, read contemplatively, do tarot readings, etc. But it is also where I often meet with the ladies I mentor. It is a sacred room for me, and so I limit the activities I do there. Here are some photos:

oh, BodhiSeed, those pictures are beautiful!!! I wish we could have a spare room for that. I could've at the farmhouse--upstairs, but never got around to arranging it to be so as I have a hard time climbing the stairs to the upper level. now that we are moving solely into our river home, no room there. One spare room is already being dedicated to the hubby's office for working from home. But, I am okay with using the "guest room" and sharing it too.

Tanga, I also agree with your energy cleansing ritual. That could be good even if its not a multi-use room. But, I cannot burn incense sadly--so would have to rely on rattles and other things.

While our bedrooms in the soon to be our only home are good size, they are not as large as the ones in our farmhouse. I would LOVE to have my "meditative room" that is also large enough for me to do my Tai Chi (alone) in. However, on good days, I can do them outside, either in the yard facing the river or on our dock, which is a bit more challenging. But, oh, how I love having a 'special' room for meditations.

FeeLion, you are inspiring me to look at my room again and see what else I can include and/or move out. :laugh:

G6

Cool. Is that your deck collection in the case?