San Francisco help

artemis

I am in San Francisco on holiday from New Zealand for two weeks. I am looking for metal charms to decorate tarot bags. Can anyone direct me to a suitable shop in San Francisco, please? I do not have a car so either walk or use public transport from Nob Hill. Thanks

Inkscape

I can't think of any one shop off the top of my head... but right around Nob Hill is the Shopping district a la Powell and Market. That's more general shopping, but you'll find the Westfield Mall and Union Square, with various clothing stores, coffee shops, and places to eat in-between.

Going up Powell (toward Nob Hill), you'll run into Chinatown, and then Fisherman's Wharf at Pier 39. Both of those places would probably have a few shops up your alley.

Much further west from there, near Golden Gate Park, you can go to Haight St. with tons of miscellaneous shops and street vendors that sell all kinds of things. In the same vein as Haight, you could also catch BART (bay area rapid transit... subway thing) to Downtown Berkeley, and walk around Telegraph Ave.

Best of luck in your search, and I hope you enjoy your visit.

Toxicmage

Like the last poster, I would recommend going to the Haight/Ashbury district of SF, there is probably more than one shop there where you can find some interesting stuff.

I am not sure of the route on Muni to get there from Nob Hill?

But from Nob Hill I would go back downtown on Market St..go the BART subway, then take Muni Metro " N " Judah/Ocean Ave line to I believe it's Carl & Cole..after you exit the tunnel..and just walk to the Haight.

artemis

Thanks

Thanks for the where to go ideas. We've bought a 7 day pass which covers cable car and muni travel and we intend to go to Haight area early next week so I'll keep my eyes open. I'm directionally challenged so I'll jot down the travel directions for the husband so that he can plan the route to get us there.

I recall someone posted some photos of beautiful buckskin tarot pouches recently and amongst the replies was a web address for charms - not California based - does anyone remember this? Can you tell me how to get back to those postings. I'm assuming it was posted under Tarot Talk - could be completely wrong.
I feel like the mouse in Arnold Lobel's, Mouse Tales, I've worn out a pair of feet walking up and down hills - loving it!

Cerulean

877-Charms4U (24276748) at Pier 39

The telephone number above is a store advertised at Pier 39 0-5 in San Francisco, CA 94133 called Charms By the Way.

Hope that helps.

Grizabella advertised buckskin bags--you can search on her forum user name.

I am sending this via my phone, so cannot posts links, but I hope you have a great vacation.

Cerulean

artemis

Charms

Thanks Cerulean,
we'll be going down to the Wharf in the next couple of days so will check out the charms then.
Thanks also for the info on the stunning buckskin pouches.
Off now to Coit Tower and to wear out my second pair of feet.

Umbrae

Fields on California and Polk. North Beach used to be good (back in the day the Mystic Eye was next to Finocchios but all long gone), there's the Haight, Castro Valley...shucky darn if you can't find anything in SF...