Scallaways in Tarot

Talisman

'Lo all,

In another thread I can't find (one of those that started out apples and took a sharp left turn to oranges, I suspect) there was this great idea to raise funds for Aeclectic.

I may be wrong, it's been awhile, but my memory credits Mojo, Major Tom and Tarotbear with hammering this idea out.

The idea was to create a Doctor of Philosophy Tarotology (Ph.D.(T), Order of the Scallawags in Tarot, from Kiama College of Tarotology.

Someone volunteered to load up their printer with sheepskins, or maybe doodle on cocktail napkins at their local watering hole, I forget, and create impressive diplomas.

I believe the course work required to earn this valauable doctorate was to complete 100 posts in Aeclectic.

A small fee would be charged for this free diploma, and the proceeds would go to Aeclectic.

Please don't let this great idea drift away into the archives of forgotten posts.

I mean, how impressive does this look:

Talisman, Ph.D (T) (pending)

Pollux

Well, I don't think we need to receive the Certificate to make a contribution, right? :p

Major Tom

Quote:Talisman (06 Feb, 2002 01:48):
'Lo all,

In another thread I can't find (one of those that started out apples and took a sharp left turn to oranges, I suspect) there was this great idea to raise funds for Aeclectic.

I may be wrong, it's been awhile, but my memory credits Mojo, Major Tom and Tarotbear with hammering this idea out.

The idea was to create a Doctor of Philosophy Tarotology (Ph.D.(T), Order of the Scallawags in Tarot, from Kiama College of Tarotology.

Someone volunteered to load up their printer with sheepskins, or maybe doodle on cocktail napkins at their local watering hole, I forget, and create impressive diplomas.

I believe the course work required to earn this valauable doctorate was to complete 100 posts in Aeclectic.

A small fee would be charged for this free diploma, and the proceeds would go to Aeclectic.

Please don't let this great idea drift away into the archives of forgotten posts.

I mean, how impressive does this look:

Talisman, Ph.D (T) (pending)

Talisman! How are you? I've missed you! How are you coming with those photos?

I was looking for your input to the Tarot Certification thread - I mean if anyone here other than me is certifiable - it is you. :D

You know it was me that offered to design the certificate and I want to thank you for remembering - give me a chance and I'll have it - won't be long now. Especially now I've had your help. ;D

There are things I've got to get straight before I proceed with this:

1. Someone, somewhere is going to take this seriously. I suppose this isn't really a problem because I like to be taken seriously sometimes. :D

2. It needs an official looking symbol. Something along the lines of the BOTA's corporate logo. :D A bit of a brainstorm might help me here.

This really does look entirely too good to let go:

Major Tom, BA, MSc, Ph.D. (T)(pending)

3. Tarotology? Is there a better word for the study of tarot?

blue

Tom;

It's been my observation that you and Talisman are both certifiable!

I am even now working on my B.S. in Tarot. If I can be of any aid to this cause let me know.

Kiama

Talisman, you owe me several balls of cotton and needles, cuz I constantly split my sides laughing when you post! ;p

Anyway, I really like this idea... Can we make a go of it?

Kiama

Talisman

"Firstly, "someone, somewhere is going to take this seriously". Well, that's worthy of a divination certificate, because here I am, wanting this diploma. And I'm serious as hell!!!" -- Diana

'Lo all,

I'm dead serious too! I really think this could work. To take things out of order here, Major Tom expressed a quasi-serious concern that someone could take this seriously. (I'd rather be a non-serious person sometimes taken seriously, than a serious person not taken seriously.)

I'd say, what the hell, let 'er rip, but for the fund raising part. We would not want to let anything reflect poorly on Aeclectic.

And Pollux: I DID make a small contribution. I used PayPal -- just click the button on Solandia's notice.

"Only, can I be pedantic here please: you either spell it "scallywag" or "scalawag", but you can't go mixing up the spelling, 'cos then that takes away all the credibility of the diploma. " -- Diana

So sorry. The modify button will let you correct typos in the text, but not in the title. I know it looks stupid. Please, someone with some weight on these boards start a new thread with a great title to get this project underway.

I did not come up with this idea. I simply stole it from a thread I couldn't find later.

(Scallaway is not a bad term. Maybe I'll think up a meaning for it and use it in the children's novel I'm currently writing.)

"Now, please, I would like to be put on that list for a Diploma in Scallawag Tarology (Taratology sounds like some creepy, hairy, South American Spider. I would rather be a Tarologist than a Taratologist, but of course this is up to the wise masters that will provide these diplomas.)" -- Diana

Major Tom's point #3. Taratology is plain ugly. Makes me think of arachnidology (?)
too. You all will come up with something better. Ditto with Major Tom's point #2. I have faith you will come up with something good.

(Major Tom: Went to a book club meeting where I didn't know anybody -- but I did know Turgenev's "Fathers and Sons" -- with a new box of film, but I felt silly wandering around asking people to take my picture. Soon as I find a camera clicker, the photos WILL come. Probably much too late for your Tarot.)

The small fee for the free diploma shoud be called "an oxymoron fee." Somehow, we'd have to pay for printer paper, ribbons, mailing, postage, headaches -- and still collect a modest amount for Aeclectic. Sorry, no help. The mechanics of the operation give me a headache to think about.

So, Kiama, you ask if we can make this work? Well, you jump started the Aeclectic Tarot project and made it go. Why not this? Just start a new thread, without the silly title.

My credentials: A double BA (economics -- what was I thinking? -- and anthropology) MFA (alas, never completed) and DD.

DD is "Doctor of Divinity." Missionaries of New Truth. Ordained minister. (You had to believe is this: John 8:32, "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.") Even married people, as an officially ordained minister, you know.

Only other people I've met who've been New Truth were Edward Bryant, John Kennedy, Hunter Thompson and Harlan Ellison. (But, good writers, all.)

So, The Rev. Talisman, BA, MFA (almost), DD (Ph.D (T) (pending)

Please, guys, start a new thread and make this work. Like Diana, I am serious as hell!

Talisman