Secrets of a Telephone Psychic by Frederick Woodruff

Scion

This book has been referenced in a few threads, but I thought it deserved a proper shout out and a thread of its own.

Just tore through Woodruff's slim, chatty book in about 2 hours and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's smart without being ponderous, and practical without being condescending. The title is actually misleading, because while he does focus on his 900 line work for various companies, he is a Tarot reader and claims no exceptional psychic ability. Woodruff includes examples of readings and situations from his own experience which are useful and enlightening

In a way, the book is less of a "confessional" and more of a thoughtful "riff" on the various challenges and philosophical implications of doing divination for money... well worth a glance not just by people who work online or on the phone, but by anyone who's ever had their palm crossed with silver for sa spread. He includes lots of little practical solutions (by example) for tight spots. He really gets at the root of the public's insatiable, insane "need to know" and how divination is uniquely capable of serving up knowledge. And some of his observations about the role and utility of divination in the modern world are exactly the kind of intelligent, soundbite that prove useful when explaining Tarot to inquisitive skeptics during an office party or a family function.

He's also got some terrific advice about making a living as a reader without being overwhlemed by stress, guilt, or unrealistic expectations on either side of table. Over and over, I see people asking advice about working the 900 lines and other issues related to professional reading. Woodruff does a wonderful job of humanizing the challenges and insights afforded by working (and earning a living) as a reader.

Check it out.

Scion

Chronata

OOh! Thanks for the heads-up!

Having been there myself (however briefly) I imagine I will enjoy his take on the phone line experience!

Baccus93

I've been expecting you.

Thanks a lot. This is definately on my list.

Umbrae

It is a brilliant book for the new or thinking of going pro reader.

I think somewhere I've recomended it before.

Lovely person too, just a nice allround good guy.

mollymawk

Been there--when I first moved to this country it was the only job I could get. Of course the place did phone sex, too, and I'll never forget the supervisors: Can you do a reading on one line and hold the other 'phone to your ear and do a phone sex call on the other?

LOL

It was wild. All of us who were readers were from other countries--everyone had a degree or two, we had doctors, economists, sociologists, etc. (cos immigration rules were such that you had to be educated and multi-lingual even though most of us were refugees), but none of us had the fabled in-country education to make us employable. Met a whole lot of interesting folks at that place.

I'd never go back to something like that, it was too much of a zoo, but I am getting back to professional reading. Teaching is fun, I love it. Sometimes I love doing readings, too--but not in those circumstances!

I think I'd like to read this one.

Djcooler

Phone sex and tarot readings. Who would think I would ever read those words in the same sentence. That's hilarious. "Oh baby, yes, yes, do it to me..just like the empress.!" Ha. Sorry