Secrets of Lithomancy (stone or crystal divination)

Satori

So I was working on my cloth last night, and I have all these little bits of fabric...I have butterfly fabric, a fabric that literally is a brick wall print, jumping frogs going after little bugs, a dreamy purple that was called angel dreams or something...

I sewed them into triangles and they all meet in the center, with 10 wedges of prints that I then cut into a square, and each triangle is sewn to the next, and now I will put different strips of fabric around them in a border, with a total of 14 fabrics and 14 places for a charm/crystal etc to fall and mean something on the cloth.

But, what I started to do was create little fabric islands the I was going to applique onto the fabric, and I got to about four, and started thinking of all the hand stitching I'd have to do and started on the triangle thing.

Anyway, I have these four little fabric bits and it started me thinking. Remember those felt boards the teachers had when we were kids, and she'd put up letters or words or animals and so stories etc on the board? I was thinking what If I kept making the islands of fabrics with symbolic prints, and then let the querent lay them out on a blank spread cloth, wherever they wanted, then you could drop the stones on them, or, read the pattern they chose to lay out! And maybe they don't use all the fabric patches, but they only use four...brick wall, butterfly, clouds and footprint.

"You are currently trying to move/change but you keep hitting a brick wall. Wait a while for the weather to change, and start down a new path."

The simplicity of it is amazing.

Satori

I love this thread!
Chronata, you really had a great teacher.

Imagemaker

drawing a circle around them and writing the name of the stone in the circle...than taking up all the stones and dropping them again....using the random house placement from the last drop.

Yes! This could be a way to use the first drop to choose the question for the second drop, too.

Today I have some time to pick out stones, and thought of a thing I made lo-one ago, a mat of leather pieces stitched together in a brick-like layout. Each shape has the ridge of an underseam and the slight hollow of the center--good for catching stones :)

Chronata

Oh Elf!

That is brilliant! What an awesome idea!...and it would be a nice soft surface too! ;)

I adore the idea of movable "houses"!
Gives the querant a bit more control over thier own reading too...

I may need to make me one of these as well!

Imagemaker...the leather mat idea sounds really cool too!

I am loving all these new ideas! Keep 'em comming!

Imagemaker

read the pattern they chose to lay out! And maybe they don't use all the fabric patches, but they only use four...brick wall, butterfly, clouds and footprint.

I totally love this--am imaging the colors of the cloth pieces--and you could bring chakra colors into it too, perhaps separate pure color shapes that they pick from.

Fabric-omancy!

Chronata

elf said:
I love this thread!
Chronata, you really had a great teacher.

She was a great teacher, actually....but not in the traditional sense....

she let me learn by observing her readings, making my own conclusions and my own decisions about it.
She never really taught me ....she let me teach myself!

I was 16 at the time...and a sponge! :D
And everything I saw, and heard and smelled and touched...that summer at the Ren faire became a solid foundation for the rest of my life!

Eco74

I'm thinking quilt.. Fabric patches, framed or flowing into eachother, a center with surrounding patterns of stars, or blocks, with different colors..
Oh, and me with all my fabrics. *s*

Also, I was thinking yesterday about the very unrelated Secret Forest deck that can be read upright, reversed, front or back. Just like reading the orientation of the stones as they've been dropped..
That passage really made me smile. :)

Ankou

Wow!!! (I'm saying that alot on AT right now). First time in two days I've really had to surf the forums. This is fabulous... everyone...wow. I've got an old clay jar full of bits of things and am forever picking up any random twig, stone, or candy wrapper that fits in my pocket, so I think I'll be putting together a set tonight :)

I love the spread cloths that are coming together "fabricomancy" LOL that was awsome... I also like the quote "Stones and Bones" Quick, someone, copywrite that!!!!

OK will quit this post until I've had some play time and something to contribute other that how fantastic this thread is!!!

Gwynne

elf said:
So I was working on my cloth last night, and I have all these little bits of fabric...I have butterfly fabric, a fabric that literally is a brick wall print, jumping frogs going after little bugs, a dreamy purple that was called angel dreams or something...

I sewed them into triangles and they all meet in the center, with 10 wedges of prints that I then cut into a square, and each triangle is sewn to the next, and now I will put different strips of fabric around them in a border, with a total of 14 fabrics and 14 places for a charm/crystal etc to fall and mean something on the cloth.

But, what I started to do was create little fabric islands the I was going to applique onto the fabric, and I got to about four, and started thinking of all the hand stitching I'd have to do and started on the triangle thing.

Anyway, I have these four little fabric bits and it started me thinking. Remember those felt boards the teachers had when we were kids, and she'd put up letters or words or animals and so stories etc on the board? I was thinking what If I kept making the islands of fabrics with symbolic prints, and then let the querent lay them out on a blank spread cloth, wherever they wanted, then you could drop the stones on them, or, read the pattern they chose to lay out! And maybe they don't use all the fabric patches, but they only use four...brick wall, butterfly, clouds and footprint.

"You are currently trying to move/change but you keep hitting a brick wall. Wait a while for the weather to change, and start down a new path."

The simplicity of it is amazing.

I love this! My husband and I are constantly going to the fabric store and picking out various fabrics to make Rune and Tarot bags out of. We're going to start selling them at fairs.

But this is an excellent way to use up scrap fabric! I love it! And since hubby just got paid today.... it's a good excuse to go to the fabric store!

Ankou

Sortiledge

OK, I'm printing this post so I can play with stones and read all at once :) I also need to let others in the house on the 'puter now and again!

Reviewing the thread that got Chronata roped into this I'd like to ask what is Sortiledge?

Love and Light,

Ankou