Sheridan Douglas - Ace of Cups

Sulis

Once again, a very simple image for this ace.

What looks like a crystal or glass goblet on a blue background.

I have to say that this is my least favourite of the Aces in this deck but maybe that's just because of the simplicity of the image.

The blue relates to the element of water and so the emotions, feelings and the subconscious mind.

This card merely shows the cup, the receptical and this makes me think of the way that water is shaped by whatever contains it, without a container it has no form.
The aces provide us with the raw energy of the suit and it's up to us to decide what (if anything) to do with this energy..
So this ace then gives us the energy of pure emotion - good or bad????
It's up to us to give this energy direction or form.

I'm struck by the black and whiteness of the goblet and the reflective pattern on it makes me think of the Yin Yang symbol which symbolises the Universe and it's inherent dualities.. Not sure how to relate this to the Ace of Cups though.... thoughts would be welcomed :)

Another thing is that the cup does look as if it's made of glass and both glass and water are reflective.

WolfSpirit

Sulis said:
I'm struck by the black and whiteness of the goblet and the reflective pattern on it makes me think of the Yin Yang symbol which symbolises the Universe and it's inherent dualities.. Not sure how to relate this to the Ace of Cups though.... thoughts would be welcomed :)

I also saw something yin/yang in the black and white pattern.
Another thought: the black and white make it look crisp and clear: it is black, or it is white. No in-betweens. Maybe because the ace is the beginning: the emotions are still pure, undiluted. The shadings come as we progress through the cycle. Not sure if I am making sense here but it is something that just came into my head :)

lark

I think love/emotions are black or white at least for me.
If I love it is all out, and if I don't I can't pretend I do.
That is what this card reminds me of....very simple.
It's like the very purest essence of emotion before pretense is learned or used as a protective defense, or a social curtesy.
The blue back ground the cup is floating in reminds me that we are making emotional decisions and expending emotional energy all the time, it's all around us.
The black area inside the cup feels like a vast well of emotion, it gives me the feeling of leaning over looking into a well.
A well is a good thing it gives life giving water....but there is also the fear of what's at the bottom if I fall in.
Of giving over completely to emotion....
It is probably the first Ace of cups I have ever seen that gives me the feeling of a warning.
*Becareful of balancing the emotions you give with what you receive.
Off balance you become either a martyr or a miser with your emotional life.