Shuffling method to turn more of the cards?

Silverlyn

Hi everyone...looooonng time no see! :) I hope everyone is doing good?

I have a question for you about shuffling: I was doing random draws with my husband a day or 2 ago, and he asked me if there was a way to shuffle the deck to where not only the order of the cards are shuffled, but also the directions of the cards? He said that with 'normal' shuffling methods, it seems those only change/shuffle the order, but not the direction/turn of the cards. He now wants me to shuffle them this way before I give him readings! He asked me to post here and ask you all, since many here are pro's. Thanks! :)

Grizabella

Wow! Long time no see is right! I'm glad to see you back! :)

You mean he wants you to shuffle so that it reverses more cards? I think you'd just use the method you used the first time to reverse them, only use it every time you shuffle? I don't know for sure because I always shuffle so as to keep mine upright.

Frank S

There is no easy way to this; if the deck is cut and riffled end-to-end (properly) then every other card should be reversed, probably not the desired effect.

You would be better off just turning the deck (reversing it) then fanning it for a reversed selection. Alternatively, randomly reverse some cards then shuffle well.

One final method would be to spread and mix the deck haphazardly face-down, using both hands in a swirling motion then straighten the deck and continue...

Frank.

rwcarter

Hi everyone...looooonng time no see! :) I hope everyone is doing good?

I have a question for you about shuffling: I was doing random draws with my husband a day or 2 ago, and he asked me if there was a way to shuffle the deck to where not only the order of the cards are shuffled, but also the directions of the cards? He said that with 'normal' shuffling methods, it seems those only change/shuffle the order, but not the direction/turn of the cards. He now wants me to shuffle them this way before I give him readings! He asked me to post here and ask you all, since many here are pro's. Thanks! :)
Hello stranger! :D

To keep reversing the cards when you shuffle, cut the deck into two as you normally do (I'm assuming you riffle) and then take one of the stacks and rotate it 180 degrees. That should invert roughly half the cards. You can continue to shuffle as you normally do or you can continue to take approximately half the stack and rotate it 180 degrees. Each successive time you do it, you'll upright some of the reversed cards and reverse others.

If you shuffle hand over hand, then when you grab a section of cards, rotate them 180 degrees before moving them to the other end of the stack.

Be strange, but don't be a stranger, 'K?

Rodney

N1ghts0ng

what i've seen done before, and may in some people cause a knee-jerk reaction to scream "heresy" (hehe) is to just lay out the deck on a surface and just mess it all up by pushing the cards around so that some flip and they all mix and end up in a big jumbled pile of cards turned any which way. Then put them back together and you'll have a much more random mix of upright and reversed cards. then you can shuffle/riffle through at your leisure and mix them up even more.

Carla

Messing them about on a table is good. You can also take your deck, cut it in into three stacks, then turn one stack, restack them, and riffle. That puts about 1/3 of the cards in a reversed position.

Barleywine

One final method would be to spread and mix the deck haphazardly face-down, using both hands in a swirling motion then straighten the deck and continue...
Frank.

This is what I've done for many years with the large-format Thoth deck since its size makes it awkward to shuffle conventionally. Now that I use more decks, I've kept with the same method because it effectively randomizes orientation as well as sequence. For some strange reason, I also find it kind of "playful" to do it this way (like making "mud pies?") But you do need a fairly large, flat surface to do it.