Sirian Starseed Tarot anyone?

Chiriku

Well, merissa_88, I was indeed put off by the theme when I first learned of the deck. But if I think a deck has other things going for it, I will try to make a go of things with it--to varying degrees of success.

Mind you, James Wanless's philosophies and aesthetic sense are often described as "New Age," so it's not surprising that people get a Voyager vibe from this deck.

mingbop

Good post Chiriku - I had never heard of starseed the site and the see are ay pea about it :) but loved the deck as soon as I saw it. I went to the website had a wee look and came out fast!

Chiriku

This is a post I wrote about the Sirian Starseed in another thread:

The other thing about Sirian Starseed: any enterprise about which the creators state, "our co-creative journey was guided, at the outset, by the blessed Sirian High Council," will set off alarm bells ringing in many people's subconscious. I think people are naturally wary of "high councils," especially ones that guide or govern creative or spiritual enterprises. We can't help but connect the dots to "unwholesome authority," which, when combined with a child's haunting vacant-eyed gaze on a card like "Indigo," makes the mental leap into "cult" territory.

Having looking through all the cards, skimmed the booklet, and just done my first one-card draw with it, I can say I get no "creepy" or cult-y vibes from the deck itself. I ignore the most culty-creepy card (the blue-eyed "Indigo" child as The Magician) and instead allow myself to be annoyed at more prosaic concerns: the blurriness of many of the photographic backgrounds, for instance. I thought it was my eyes but I switched on the reading lamp and the blurriness remained. I don't care if images are in the background; I want them in-focus.

However, I must say that for all my protests--"Creepy! New Agey! Love and Light-y!"--this deck has thus far come up roses.

To begin with, the size many people goggle over as mammoth is not unwieldy because the card stock is fairly thin and very flexible; with the moderate gloss on the cards, it's all the easier to swoosh them about in the "wash" method of card randomization. [Disclaimer: I AM a person who generally favors large cards. But these are extra-easy to handle when compared to other large decks with less pliable card stock].

Second, Sirian Star-what? Yes, in the booklet (a very nice, concise booklet--neither scanty LWB nor eye-roll-inducing tome) the author does mention Starseeds. But the way she uses the word throughout the section describing the Major Arcana, you can just as easily substitute the word Fool and see it as a Fool's Journey instead of a Starseed's. For the Hermit (retitled Reflection):

To achieve the silence to contemplate such important lessons, Starseed is guided to go into a sort of hermitage.

And so on and so forth throughout the descriptions of the Majors.

Any time she mentions Higher Self, Divine Guidance, or anything else that doesn't jive with your (my) personal beliefs, you can mentally delete the word and keep moving until you reach her "generic" card descriptions...which are actually rather good.

And that's the second surprise of the deck--that the book is well-written. I am not familiar with this author, Patricia Cori, but she seems to be a decent writer or else well-edited. Her card descriptions are generic in the sense that they are not heavily based on Sirian Starseed philosophy and are in fact very in line with general tarot traditions, but that's not generic in the bad sense.

Each card description section ends with a series of self-help-y questions that might actually be of use to the self-reader:

For the Three of Orbs/Swords, which I pulled at random this morning to clarify a disturbing dream I had, she writes:

It is a problematic card, filled with the obscurity of the mind's own illusions. Through the dark hour of the soul, when all appears to be dim and the mind's eye is clouded...the light of understanding is within your grasp...The card invites us to conquer the mind's focus on pain and loss and look to the light, where we can transform our thoughts into acceptance and forward motion.

Moving beyond the uncertainties of the Twos, what new element is taking shape in your mind and stirring you emotionally?...What is being added to your perception that allows you to form new and more complex ideas? What fear of separation or discomfort is causing you to suffer? What new insights have you gained from this process?

You see how Corsi focuses on the elemental and numerological aspects of Air and Threes, respectively? The general meaning is the same as the RWS's for this card, yet unlike some deck creators, she does not appear to be blindly parroting key words but in fact has reached her own understanding of the card in light of its element and number.

So far, the deck has impressed me rather favorably--a second surprise after I surprised myself by buying it in the first place.

P.S. Thanks, mingbop

Chiriku

One more thing:

This is the first book or LWB I can recall that does not give individual explanations for the Court/People cards. Corsi explains, "[When people keys appear in a reading], they can't be interpreted in simplistic terms and finite descriptions."

She writes that in the SS Tarot, the court cards "depict levels of spiritual maturity, descriptive of the journey along the path of awakening."

She offers only four general descriptions of the four "levels of spiritual maturity"-- The Seeker, The Adept, The Sage, and The Master.

I don't mind renaming of court cards, although this gradual ascending of "levels" can be problematic when we equate one sex or age with a particular "level" (she doesn't, as far as I can tell as of now).

The back pages contain the artist's credits to those stock photos she borrowed from websites to use in her art. Uncredited cards are ones that use her own original photos.

goldeneagle

Sirian starseed

I have had this deck on Pre-order since i first saw it. Definitely a wowser for me and i cannot wait to receive it, vibrant and definitely spiritually uplifting for me anyway, i can sense it just by gazing at the images. Not everyone will like it but hey ho different strokes for different folks ;)

I agree that not everyone will like this deck but I have been using it for about a month now and like you, I find the imagery on the cards magical. They are clear and bright and the images are thought provoking. I am really enjoying this deck and using it for my daily personal draws. I don't think I would use it to read for others and don't really want to explain about starseeds and indigo children, but for me it really resonates and is very clear. Like I said, the cards are larger than most along with being thick and glossy. The symbol on the back of the cards if I remember correctly is a symbol which was given to the author by the sirians through channeling. This deck will appeal to those who are interested in their starseed origins.

Rosewater

I somehow got this all muddled with a Golden Notebook tarot featuring indigo babies and free loving communists with major angst. Does it come with a lwb?

Ha ha ha ha! Love it!

Rosewater

I've long been skeptical of interstellar channelling, Indigo children and all that goes with it, but when I first saw the samples on Aeclectic, I had to have these cards. Intuition told me that high order readings would come from them. I haven't used the cards enough yet to know for sure, but time will tell. I don't mind the name and image changes, to my interpretation they make sense. I do see myself cutting off the white borders, though. Not only are they distracting against a dark blue reading cloth, but taking them off might make the cards just that bit manageably smaller for shuffling.

Miss Divine

I purchased this deck today. I just spent some time going over all the images and to my dismay I have discovered I have some seriously damaged cards in my deck. I feel terrible! :(
Does anyone know how to get in touch with the publisher of this deck?

gregory

I purchased this deck today. I just spent some time going over all the images and to my dismay I have discovered I have some seriously damaged cards in my deck. I feel terrible! :(

Actually your contract is with the place you BOUGHT the deck - but anyway:

http://www.northatlanticbooks.com/

avalonian

Their website is on the back of the box: www.northatlanticbooks.com

If you get no response you could contact Patricia Cori, there is a contact link on the Sirian Starseed Tarot homepage http://www.sirianstarseedtarot.com/Home/index_home.

:) :) :)