Someone Please Help Me!

MysticGirl

Hey,

I was always interested in Tarot cards how they work, I found my moms tarot cards that she had when she was a teenager the cards are Chinease there Ukiyoe Tarot cards and i ask questions like what is my past,present,future going to be like and i do the 10 deck display and i would flip the card one at a time and look up the meanings in the book that it came with and it has 2 Diffrent meanings theres a DIVINATORY MEANING and REVERSE MEANING...

How do i pick which one to know what the meaning is right for me or someone that i do a reading on???

And some people have been telling me that tarot cards are fake and its just a game to play with your friends I actually think they are acurate and they do work but how do i use them? I know how to lay them out on a 10 deck display and flip the card over and look them in the book
And i also have another question some people told me that i shouldent use someone elese tarot cards that i should have my own im going to get my own but if you use someone eleses the readings might be wrong...

tarotbear

If the card is upright, use the divinitory meanings; if the card is upside down, use the reversed meanings.

Sometimes you never get reversed cards. Don't dwell on it.

Lee

It sounds to me like the people who are telling you about Tarot are people who don't know very much about it. Tarot cards are not "fake." Perhaps what those people mean is that Tarot cards won't tell you specific things about the future. Different Tarot readers have different opinions about this. Many of us use the Tarot to discover things about ourselves and help others discover things about themselves and don't emphasize the future so much.

I don't think it matters whether the deck you use is yours or somebody else's. If you want to use your mom's deck, and she doesn't mind, then that's fine. If you start spending a lot of time working with the Tarot, you may eventually want to try out some different decks. Or you may not! It's up to you.

Many Tarot readers use reversed cards. That means when they shuffle the cards, they make sure some of them get turned around so when they lay them out, some are reversed (in other words, upside down). When a card is upside down, they use the "reversed" meanings. Many other Tarot readers don't use reversals. This means they keep all the cards upright, and if a card is turned up and it's upside down, they turn it rightside up. These readers would only use the "divinatory" meanings and would ignore the "reversed" meanings.

There are many different ways of interpreting cards. The booklet that came with the deck isn't necessarily the last word on how to read the cards. Many people rely more on what their intuition tells them from looking at the picture than on the specific meanings in the booklet. I suggest you go to a local bookstore (a large one, if you can get to one) and look in the "New Age" section, and look at the books about Tarot, and try to find a basic book which doesn't look too overwhelming. You might also try the library.

-- Lee

MysticGirl

Quote:Lee (21 Dec, 2001 07:46):
It sounds to me like the people who are telling you about Tarot are people who don't know very much about it. Tarot cards are not "fake." Perhaps what those people mean is that Tarot cards won't tell you specific things about the future. Different Tarot readers have different opinions about this. Many of us use the Tarot to discover things about ourselves and help others discover things about themselves and don't emphasize the future so much.

I don't think it matters whether the deck you use is yours or somebody else's. If you want to use your mom's deck, and she doesn't mind, then that's fine. If you start spending a lot of time working with the Tarot, you may eventually want to try out some different decks. Or you may not! It's up to you.

Many Tarot readers use reversed cards. That means when they shuffle the cards, they make sure some of them get turned around so when they lay them out, some are reversed (in other words, upside down). When a card is upside down, they use the "reversed" meanings. Many other Tarot readers don't use reversals. This means they keep all the cards upright, and if a card is turned up and it's upside down, they turn it rightside up. These readers would only use the "divinatory" meanings and would ignore the "reversed" meanings.

There are many different ways of interpreting cards. The booklet that came with the deck isn't necessarily the last word on how to read the cards. Many people rely more on what their intuition tells them from looking at the picture than on the specific meanings in the booklet. I suggest you go to a local bookstore (a large one, if you can get to one) and look in the "New Age" section, and look at the books about Tarot, and try to find a basic book which doesn't look too overwhelming. You might also try the library.

-- Lee

Ok thank you what about Barns and Nobel will they have books and diffrent selections of tarot cards? Last night i went to the mall and looked in spencers they had 3 tarot decks they dident have a selection and they were just original cards so i dident buy them cause i dident think they would be any good..

Logiatrix

lori,
i definitely recommend that you get a good deck for learning tarot. the "ukiyoe tarot", while a worthy deck that beautifully captures the japanese art style of ukiyoe, is not totally conducive to a learner of tarot, as it has "pips" for minors. i think you need a "rider-waite" version or clone. all such decks--most widely available at your favorite chain bookstore--are listed and reviewed here on aeclectic.
also check out some of the past threads on good beginner books. a popular favorite--for good reason--is mary k. greer's "tarot for yourself". it's what i call a "keeper"; even after you become adept at tarot, you'll still hang on to this book. (i've purchased this book for myself--only to give it away--THREE times...this fourth one is not leaving the house!)
BTW, just yesterday, i saw a book by janina renee, "tarot for a new generation". this is one i hadn't seen before, so i looked thru it--it looks pretty good for a starting point.
get back to us, as you continue your journey...

Kiama

Here's one for the people who are telling you Tarot is fake:

I was 14 (Three years ago now!) and I was reading for my friend. I pulled the Queen of Cups, the Empress, and the Ace of Wands in one row. In the second row, I pulled some cards that pointed to her mother, and the Sun. I was't sure what they meant, but I looked more closely, and finally, asked:

"Your Mum's not pregnant, is she?" (Her Mum was 40 at the time.) She said no, and she's not likely to be since her parents use contraception. Anyway, next day in school, my friend came in rather flustered, and told me that her Mum had told her she was pregnant after she got home from my house that evening.

So let those cynics say wha tey wat. Its up to you what you believe. They can't make you think anything you don't want to. I've been where you are now I'm only 17 at the moment, and I know how it feels to be criticised for 'believing' in Tarot cards. I just reply to people that they can believe what they want to believe. My beliefs are not to be compromised with such a frank and unsupportable statement as 'They are fake'.

I wsh you the best of luck in your journey from now on: The Tarot is a very life-enriching tool, and through it, you will never stop growing or learning!

BTW: What does your Mum think of your interest in the Tarot?

Kiama

Lee

Barnes & Noble is a good bookstore to try. Now that I think about it, I think Metaz is right when she says that the Ukiyoe is not the best deck to learn with, that you might be better off with a Rider-Waite deck (that's the one in the bright yellow box). The Universal Waite, the Morgan-Greer, and the Hanson-Roberts are other decks which have similar pictures but different styles; any of them would be good. I also agree with Metaz that Janina Renee's book "Tarot for a New Generation" would be a great book for you.

Good luck --
Lee

MysticGirl

Quote:Lee (24 Dec, 2001 00:50):
Barnes & Noble is a good bookstore to try. Now that I think about it, I think Metaz is right when she says that the Ukiyoe is not the best deck to learn with, that you might be better off with a Rider-Waite deck (that's the one in the bright yellow box). The Universal Waite, the Morgan-Greer, and the Hanson-Roberts are other decks which have similar pictures but different styles; any of them would be good. I also agree with Metaz that Janina Renee's book "Tarot for a New Generation" would be a great book for you.

Good luck --
Lee

Hey,

Do you think im reading the cards wrong??? cause the way i read them is i shuffle the cards then ill do the 10 deck display flip them over and look them up in the book but you know how you told me you did your friends and you predicted that her mom is pregnant how do i do that to predict somthing??? instead of me looking up the meaning in the book and all it gives me is Definitions for Reverse meanings a divintory readings?
Thanks for helping...
:)

StarShine

Hi There MysticGirl!
Welcome to the Wonderful, Wacky World of Tarot!

First of all, don't worry about if you are reading the cards "right" Anything you do with the cards, even just looking at them, helps you to become familiar with them. This is the key. I highly reccommend a Rider-Waite or clone deck. (The Robin Wood is my fav. clone deck) These are very good decks to learn on. On your deck, from what I understand, there are no scenes or pictures on you minor arcana. The pics are what give you clues to the interpretation.

I also highly recommend Mary K. Greers "Tarot for Yourself" GREAT learning tool! The best thing that you can do is just become familiar with your deck and connect with it. As you look at the cards, ask yourself how the card makes you feel. What are the first things that come to mind? Jot these thoughts down in a journal. After that, then look up the meanings. You may surprise yourself at how "on" you are. Of course, this is easier with a deck that has artwork on the entire deck. It is the scenes on the card that will invoke your reactions.

Don't worry just yet about predictions and the like. That will come later. 1 year ago, I was looking in the book for every card, practicing on my friends and co-workers. Today, I don't even carry the book with me and am a part-time professional reader. One day, it just clicked for me and it will for you too.

Keep us posted on your journey, and if you have any questions, ask. That is what the forum is here for.

Scorpion

Hi, MysticGirl!

As you've discovered, there's a lot of negativity out there about Tarot - don't let it put you off or confuse you. If you're drawn to it and find it works for you, that's all that matters.

As for having to have your own deck and not using anybody else's, people seem to have different preferences. I think it's all to do with energies and some people are happier if they know that they are the only ones to use their decks. I recently offered to lend a friend's daughter some decks to look at because she wasn't particularly happy with the one she had. My friend was horrified at first but gradually came round to the view that if I wasn't worried that they would come to harm it should be "safe". She even had a rummage through herself! So yes, if it's working for you and your mum doesn't mind you can't be doing anything wrong.

Why does it work? I don't know, but I'm glad it does! I haven't quite had Kiama's experience, but I was reading for a friend's mother recently and asked her how many children she had (which was strange in the first place, because I've met all of them). The answer was three. I was thinking "Why are there three trees but four trunks?" I also got the feeling the fourth was male but didn't say anything. It wasn't until the next section when the client (quite clairvoyant herself) commented that perhaps the 4 Cups (Spiral deck - three on the table and one floating above) represented her earthly family and her lost baby - it had been too early to tell, but she'd always thought it would have been a boy. He's never come through before for her, so it was a good feeling. I don't know how other people "feel" or "see" these things, but for me things just pop into my head.

So - my advice is to stay with it, ignore all the negative voices, go with whatever deck you're happy with and enjoy!