SOUL Gathering Week 23-30 April for Ulfdis and Annabelle4

Annabelle

Hi Ulfdis :)

I'm just getting our thread started for this week. The suggested question for the week is:

"What is my soul's purpose?"

I'd love it if you would explore this question for me, using whatever oracle deck or divinatory method that you want.

Let me know whether you'd like me to answer this question for you, or if you had a different question in mind. I'm not sure which oracle deck (or combination of decks) I'll use yet; I have several, but I don't have much practice with any of them so far.

I look forward to exhanging readings with you this week! It promises to be an interesting experience....

Blessings,
Annabelle4

Ulfdis

Hey Annabelle!

I'd like to stick to the question of the soul's purpose.

I will start out tonight with some runes for your reading. (I've been too long away from my rune studies anyways.) I will probably be using some Tarot for enhancement or clarification as well.

Ulfdis

Ok, the runes I drew for you were: Fehu, Inguz, Eihwaz, with Gebo and Isa as clarifiers, almost as afterthoughts. My method was to pick 24 leaves from a friendly tree in the backyard and cut the runes into each leaf. Then I soaked them for about an hour in a bowl of water. I lit a candle and meditated for a bit while swirling the water and leaves around and then drew them out.

Overall, I get a sense of leadership: the gathering together (Inguz) of a group or fellowship; the growth and support of the group (Fehu); and the leadership and direction of this group (Eihwaz).

That Fehu and Inguz were drawn together is interesting, as they are the runes of Freyja and Frey, respectively. Frey and Freyja are brother and sister, and their names mean "Lord" and "Lady". They are gods of birth, death, and rebirth. Frey gives his sword away, but this sacrifice does not keep him from fighting at Ragnarok (with deer antlers). Even though he gives away his energy (the phallic sword), he never loses it (depictions of him were VERY well endowed ;) ). This cycle of sacrifice and rebirth is echoed in Gebo, which is the rune of giving: it encompasses the gift, the giver, the recipient, the act of giving, and the bond that giving creates.

You are here to create peace, a healthy thriving peace that is maintained not by preserving the status quo with the freezing power of Isa (Ice), but by sacrificing your power and regrowing it.

Annabelle

Wow...you are fast!!! I've pulled cards for your reading (I'm using the Symbolon) but doubt I'll get the reading posted tonight...my brain is just too tired right now :). The reading you posted for me looks wonderful...I'll post feedback tomorrow...

Annabelle4

purple_scorp

Ulfdis said:
Ok, the runes I drew for you were: Fehu, Inguz, Eihwaz, with Gebo and Isa as clarifiers, almost as afterthoughts. My method was to pick 24 leaves from a friendly tree in the backyard and cut the runes into each leaf. Then I soaked them for about an hour in a bowl of water. I lit a candle and meditated for a bit while swirling the water and leaves around and then drew them out.
Oh wow...Ulfdis, that is such a creative process that you went through. Well done :)
purple_scorp

Ulfdis

LOL I'm almost embarassed to admit it, but my regular runes got lost about 2 months ago, and I need to replace my Dremel tool before I make a new set... So, necessity really is the mother of invention. There's an old black and white Sherlock Holmes movie with Basil Rathbone. I think it's the Lady In Green. The nefarious Professor Moriarty uses a swirling bowl of water with a lotus floating in it to hypnotize Sherlock. Kinda the same thing here, only with a divinatory (and less villainous!) goal.

Anyways, even though it was a spur-of-the-moment thing, it worked well. The swirling water brought up images of the Well of Wyrd. I will definitely be repeating the process again.

Annabelle

Hi Ulfdis,

Doesn't look like I'll be able to post my reading for you until tomorrow, but in the meantime I wanted to go ahead and leave feedback for you. I must say, again, that you did a fabulous job with this...how lovely and creative, to make your own runes from leaves (even if you did have to do it because you'd lost your others!). Incidentally, I'm not terribly familiar with runes, although I do have an inexpensive set and a book that explains them (so I'm not totally lost on the subject).

Ulfdis said:
Overall, I get a sense of leadership: the gathering together (Inguz) of a group or fellowship; the growth and support of the group (Fehu); and the leadership and direction of this group (Eihwaz).

That Fehu and Inguz were drawn together is interesting, as they are the runes of Freyja and Frey, respectively. Frey and Freyja are brother and sister, and their names mean "Lord" and "Lady". They are gods of birth, death, and rebirth. Frey gives his sword away, but this sacrifice does not keep him from fighting at Ragnarok (with deer antlers). Even though he gives away his energy (the phallic sword), he never loses it (depictions of him were VERY well endowed ;) ). This cycle of sacrifice and rebirth is echoed in Gebo, which is the rune of giving: it encompasses the gift, the giver, the recipient, the act of giving, and the bond that giving creates.

You are here to create peace, a healthy thriving peace that is maintained not by preserving the status quo with the freezing power of Isa (Ice), but by sacrificing your power and regrowing it.

Hmmm. You know, after having made five attempts to break this up into bits and respond to each part...and after failing at that five times, I'm going to try giving feedback on the reading as a whole if that's okay :).

I have to admit, it's the last sentence that really leaves me wondering... What will be involved in sacrificing my power and regrowing it, I wonder? Power and control are big issues for me, and you touched on this a bit, I think, in the first part of the reading when you mentioned leadership. I am a good leader...it's where I often prefer to be in any group--at the head of the table, in charge.

The theme of sacrifice and giving and rebirth has me wondering...it all sounds beautiful, mind you...you put everything together very well--but I'm not sure how these things are ideally supposed to play out in my life. I have a somewhat silly confession to make about this, actually. Just this week I've been watching re-runs of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and it's at the point where Buffy sacrifices herself to save her sister (and the world) but is then brought back to life by the spell Willow performs. And so, at least for the moment, when I think about sacrifice and death and rebirth and the like, I unfortunately get a mental image of Sarah Michelle Gellar! :p

I like that you said I'm here to create peace. As a child, when asked about my life goals, I would always answer that I wanted to find a way to rid the world of nuclear weapons and create world peace. And I really and truly meant it. Of course, now that I'm older (and the whole nuclear arms race has died down quite a bit) I see that world peace involves a whole heck of a lot more than just ridding the planet of nuclear arms. But I've always sought peace in my life, and I would certainly like to find ways to provide others with peace as well.

All in all, you've given me a very thoughtful and deep reading, and given me a lot to think about. Even if everything isn't readily apparent to me right now, perhaps I will come to see how these themes work in my life later. Thank you!

Blessings,
Annabelle4

Annabelle

Hi Ulfdis,

At long last, I’ve finished my reading for you. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I chose to use the Symbolon deck. It’s my first time using these cards; in fact, I’ve only had the deck for a couple of weeks. But the images are striking…very evocative. I’m attaching scans of the cards so that you can see them.

I wasn’t quite sure how to go about answering the question of what your soul’s purpose is, so I peeked in at the other threads to get some ideas. I really like the spread that FaeryGodmother used in her reading for Katie_here, so I’m using the same spread for you.

Part One - What you came here to leave behind – Guilt

Part Two - What you came here to learn – The Servitor

Part Three - What you came here to give – The Stocks

Part Four - What is your Soul's Purpose? – The Furies

I’ll admit, I didn’t know what to think at first. The first two cards were clear enough, but the last two threw me for a loop. Usually when I do readings I write everything out in sections, question by question, card by card…all neat and tidy. But that just isn’t working for me this time. These cards work so tightly together that I cannot separate them.

I’ve never been one to talk much about karma, really, but these cards are all about it. Your soul’s purpose, here and now, is to atone, to pay for wrongdoing, to overcome guilt…not necessarily from anything you’ve done in this life, but for your soul’s actions in past lives.

In the first card, we see a young man in the moment before he throws a spear at a unicorn, an act of slaying something innocent and magical. In the second card, we see a woman in a nun’s habit, praying at an altar piled with offerings. In the third card, we see a woman in the stocks in a public square, and two men standing in the foreground, having a discussion. And in the last card we see a man running in fear from the Fury who is striking out at him.

You are here to overcome this…to overcome the guilt and the humiliation and the fear, and to start making a positive contribution to the world again. You may have lingering fears and guilty feelings over things long past…or you may even be haunted by guilt and fear that seems to have no point of origin, no reason behind it.

But you can make peace with yourself and with the world, and you can leave behind the guilt. This may involve some kind of breaking of your ego, and a turn towards the spiritual side of life. I sense that this may mean a dramatic change of circumstances for you, or a very difficult choice at some point in your life. But in the end it will be for the best, and you will escape the fears that haunt you.

Well, this doesn’t seem very clear, does it? I hope that you can find something here to connect with, but don’t be afraid to let me know if you don’t. This was my first time using these cards (as I mentioned earlier) and I may be way off base. In any event, this was an interesting challenge, and I enjoyed exchanging readings with you!

Blessings,
Annabelle

Attachments

• Symbolon1.jpg
    Symbolon1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Symbolon2.jpg
    Symbolon2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Symbolon3.jpg
    Symbolon3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Symbolon4.jpg
    Symbolon4.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 74

purple_scorp

I like those cards, Annabelle. They kind of look modern but still have an old feel about them :)

purple_scorp