Spellcraft: The Witching Hour

zorya

just when is the witching hour?

in the movies, spells are always done at 12:00 a.m. midnight, but in magical terms, midnight traditionally means the middle of the night! to find out when midnight really is, one must first find the exact time of the sunset and sunrise and calculate the time in the middle.

many of us, who take great care to time our magic with the moons phases and/or astrological houses, time our spellwork to occur in view of the moon, whatever time of the night that might be.

if you want to do a spell to correspond with a particular event or occurance, such as a healing spell during someones surgery, you can do it simultaneously with the occurance.

let's say you wanted to do a spell for someone in another part of the world. you could either do it simultaneously (by checking time zones) or do it at the hour the event will occur in the other location and ask that it travel with the sun (for example, surgery is to occur at 6:00 pm in another part of the world, you do the spell at 6:OO pm your time. )

traditionally in the slavic part of the world, magic was performed at dawn or dusk because these are the times when the veils between the worlds are the thinnest. as night is seen as containing feminine energy and day as masculine energy, dawn and dusk are the times of balance. i use dawn or dusk, when i am trying specifically to contact loved ones, who have passed.

teutonic magic is traditionally done at sunrise, sunset or midnight. sunrise and sunset being best for religious rites and meditational rituals, and midnight being best for practical magic and divination.

another method of deciding the best hour, is by using numerological energy. just match the time of night with the kind of spell you are doing. for example, to draw another to you, try 2:00. by combining the time of night, with the date, months number or even year, you can multiply the numerological effect. for example, feb.2, at 2:00 would be extra potent.

more to come....

zorya

the oldest reference to timing i could find, is in the book The Book of Secrets of Albertus Magnus. the 1973 edition i am using is taken from the first english edition printed in 1550.

Albertus Magnus was a thirteenth century Bavarian philosopher.

each hour of the day or night is governed by a planet, so magic was performed at the time ruled by the corresponding planet.

this is a little bit tricky. first the day is divided into day and night, based on the rising and setting of the sun. the only times the day and night would each be 12 hours would be on the equinoxes, otherwise the day and night would be of varying lengths of time (always adding up to 24). then the night (or day) is divided into 12 equal segments, each representing "an hour".

the day of the week is ruled by a planetary sphere:

sunday=sun
monday=moon
tuesday=mars
wednesday=mercury
thursday=jupiter
friday=venus
saturday=saturn

the way the hourly planet was figured, was that the first hour of each day, starting with sunrise, was the same as the daily planet.

the hours would follow the chaldean order;
sun
venus
mercury
moon
saturn
jupiter
mars

so the first hour after sunrise on wednesday, would be ruled by mercury. the second, by the moon, the third by saturn and so on. the hours at night were figured the same way.

here are the correspondences from the same book, for each planet, to help in choosing which time should be used for a particular spell.

saturn; life building, doctrine, mutation
jupiter; honour, thing desired, riches, apparel
mars; war, prison, matrimony, enemy
sun; hope, lucre, fortune, heir
venus; friend or fellowship, way, lover, stranger
mercury; loss, debt, fear
moon, palace, dream, merchandise, theft

a direct quote from the book, "And note that Jupiter and Venus be good, Saturn and Mars evil, but the Sun and the Moon in a mean; and Mercury is good with good and evil with evil."

zorya

Peter of Abano, circa 1205-1310 c.e. an italian physician, changed this system to work more like a clock. now the hour was counted by time and not sunrise or sunset. the first hour was always counted after midnight and equalled one hour. so now sunday, 12:00 a.m to 1:00 p.m, was always ruled by the sun.

in contemporary writer, Ann Moura's book, Green Magic, abano's hourly system seems to be the one used. contemporary correspondences are given for the planets;

moon; dreams, emotions, clairvoyance, home, family, medicine, cooking, personality, merchandising, theft

mars; dynamic energy, matrimony, war, enemies, prison, hunting, surgery, courage, politics, contests

mercury; communications, loss, teaching, reason, divination, skill, debt, fear, self-improvement.

jupiter; health, honor, luck, riches, clothing, money, legal matters, desires

venus; love, friendship, social activities, strangers, pleasure, art, music, incense and perfumes.

saturn; self-discipline, life, building, doctine, protection, freedom, elderly, destroying diseases and pests.

sun; individuality, hope, fortune, money, work, power, healing, promotions, strength, spirituality.

Edain McCoy, in her book Making Magick, also gives this method, but uses the hourly divisions set forth by Albertus Magnus.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

please feel free to discuss, add to, correct or comment! i would love to hear if and how you time your spells! :)

(above two posts were edited to include kwaw's corrections)

kwaw

zorya said:

the order of planets was also changed, now it was;
sun
venus
mercury
moon
saturn
jupiter
mars

Edain McCoy, in her book Making Magick, uses the hourly divisions set forth by Albertus Magnus, but uses the planatary order of Peter of abano.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

????
They are the same order, the Chaldean order, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon. The Order you give is the chaldean order starting from the first hour of Sunday.

If you start with the first hour of Saturday, Ruled by Saturn. Each consecutive hour is followed by the planet following, second to Jupiter, third to Mars, fourth to Sun, fifth to Venus, sixth to Mercury, seventh to Moon. The eigth we start again with Saturn, ninth Jupiter, etc. The 24th hour of Saturday will thus be Mars, and the first hour of Sunday the next in order, the Sun; the 24th hour of Sunday will be Mercury, and the first hour of Monday the next in order the Moon, etc.

Tables of these planetary hours are common in medieval grimoires, especially in those of the Solomonic cycle.

The chaldean order is also the basis of the decan rulerships, so the consecutive sign decans also correspond to days of the week. The first decan of Aries is ruled by Mars, Tuesday:

1 Decan Aries = Mars = Tuesday
1 Decan Taurus = Mercury = Wednesday
1 Decan Gemini = Jupiter = Thursday
1 decan Cancer = Venus = Friday

etc, until you get to
1 Decan Pisces = Saturn = Saturday

Then you jump from the first decan of the last sign to the second decan of the first sign:-
2 decan Aries = Sun = Sunday
2 decan Taurus = Moon = Monday

until you get to
2 decan Pisces = Jupiter = Thursday

Then go round again from the second decan of the last sign to the third decan of Aries:
3 decan Aries = Venus = Friday
3 decan Taurus = Saturn = Saturday

Kwaw

Red Emma

Witching hours

Fascinating stuff.

Did I miss the meaning of "decan" somewhere? If so would someone please point it out to me.

Or just plain tell me what it means?

Thanks

kwaw

Each sign of the zodiac is 30 degrees. Each sign has three 'decans' of 10 degrees each. These are also called faces, though historically there is some technical differences between the two terms. Each of these decans has a planetary ruler. There are different ways of allocating rulerships, but that based on the Chaldean order is traditional in Western astrology. Another common method, popular in the East and re-introduced into Western Astrology and made popular by theosophy is that based on elements. In this for example the first decan of Aries is Aries, the second decan is the next fire sign in order, Leo, the third the next fire sign Sagittarius.

Kwaw

zorya

kwaw said:
????
They are the same order, the Chaldean order, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon. The Order you give is the chaldean order starting from the first hour of Sunday."

thank you kwaw :) reading the 'book of secrets' i thought the order of the 7 hours followed the order of the 7 days, but i can see looking at the diagram on page 64, that i was mistaken.

i'm glad you explained the decans. it took me a while to wrap my brain around it :laugh: but now i see that the order for the hours, corresponds to the change in decans.

i'm going to edit my posts with the corrected information so not to confuse anyone else.

TemperanceAngel

Thanks for the info, Zorya, very interesting :) XTAX

kwaw

zorya said:
kwaw said:
????

thank you kwaw :) reading the 'book of secrets' i thought the order of the 7 hours followed the order of the 7 days, but i can see looking at the diagram on page 64, that i was mistaken.

No problem, glad to be of help. I made a similar mistake (and many others - and still do) myself when I began to study these aspects.

In terms of the 'witching hour', as I see it any 'crossing' point maybe used; that is for example midnight, dawn, midday or dusk; or the crossing of the Sun or Moon [or a planet] from one sign to the next. In a ritual context I use the actual time of sunrise and/or sunset and the ephemeris in calculating these things rather than the equal clock hours. In terms of the soli-lunar cycle the four quarters (the most powerful traditionally being the new or full moon). Similarly in terms of space rather than time, as in witching places or power points, crossing points such as crossroads, or natural boundaries such as rivers or mountain tops, have a traditional role as sacred 'points of power'.

Kwaw

All Is One

Good To Know

Not quite familiar with specifically "teutonic" magick, but all the information given is good to have, and it is always reassuring to know that others care about the details as much as I do. I tend to do ritual work as prescribed by whereever I got the working, as it is usually a pretty specific task indeed.

If I'm feeling creative, I go with the time I feel inspired to do the work.

And, if I plan it ahead of time (not a normal thing for me) I have always had to work with the limits of my geography: the sun sinks into the sand bar of our bay at least 45 minutes earlier than any official setting of the sun. So my best hour for spellcraft, as a general thing, is the 9 minutes before and the 9 minutes after, the sun slips visibly below the sea.

Particularly interested in your discussion of spellcraft to send to someone in other time zones. Never came up, but I made notes on it because you never know.

Good thread, Zorya, thank you.