Spread Cloths

numbrel

I just had an inspiration to combine my new interest in Tarot with my old interest in needlework. I like to do Hardanger and other drawn-work, which is geometric designs that involve cutting out small pieces of fabric. This would make nice borders around the cloths.

Examples of hardanger(not mine):
http://www.alexia.nu/alexia/21101611E.html
http://www.alexia.nu/alexia/167730324E.html

Of course, the middle plain area would be bigger for spreads.

Would anyone else be interested in a cloth like this? There is some linen/silk material available, but I usually work on linen. Is this acceptable?

numbrel

cj

Quote:numbrel (03 Dec, 2001 01:07):
I just had an inspiration to combine my new interest in Tarot with my old interest in needlework. I like to do Hardanger and other drawn-work, which is geometric designs that involve cutting out small pieces of fabric. This would make nice borders around the cloths.

Examples of hardanger(not mine):
http://www.alexia.nu/alexia/21101611E.html
http://www.alexia.nu/alexia/167730324E.html

Of course, the middle plain area would be bigger for spreads.

Would anyone else be interested in a cloth like this? There is some linen/silk material available, but I usually work on linen. Is this acceptable?

numbrel

Hi numbrel,

I am in the process of starting an on-line company for Tarot bags and such (spread cloth and bag set-mine will be verrry simple, small bags..).. I was told most people like all cotton and Silks (all natural fabrics) .then I was told most people like velvet and satin for their bags....I'm to the point of going the HECK WITH IT...I am going to use what appeals to me....

I think if you are used to working with linen and silk go for it...the cloths sound beautiful..I would love to see a finished product.

There is one bit of advise I have been getting over and over is "to use celestial themes".

cj

glamourbug

I have always wondered if spread cloths have pictures of where the cards should go on them or if they are just plain?

Are there cloths with the card positions marked out and what that position means or would people feel funny using something like that?

I always thought it would be nice for the people having a reading to be able to see what each card is representing but wonder if it would make the reader look unprofessional?

Lisa

numbrel

cj- thanks for the advise about celestial themes, I will see what I can do about that.

glamourbug - I thought. about making outlines of cards for spreads, but I have three decks, and they are different sizes and I know there are other decks with different shapes and sizes. Then there is the spread problem, I use one spread most of the time, but then sometimes feel like using a different spread.

I will have to make myself a couple to see how long it takes then decide on whether I want to offer to do it for other people. I already know that I certainly can't charge by the hour because that would put it out of reach for most people. But I could cover my material costs and shipping.

bec

Hi Numbrel,
about what you can charge ppl, I think you can charge costs and shipment and then some - it?s all about advertising and getting them out there. If you make them especially for tarot and work with colours and symbols from varies decks - I actually think you?ll do quite nicely in selling them and for a fair price for both you and your costumers. Real tarot lovers, IMO anyway wouldn?t mind paying extra getting extra - I?ve never seen a cloth remotely suitable for tarot if not handmade - and handmade *do* cost.

Good luck on your business :)

cj

numbrel (03 Dec, 2001 01:07):

Numbrel,

I looked at the site again..the cloth that caught my eye was a plain square in the middle with designs on the outside (looked like lace around the edge).

The cloth I own is made to go with one of my bags. it has the outside print on one side and the solid satin on the other..no markings of where the cards go..this way you can do any spread you want .. it is 22" x 22".

Does this help.

cj

Jeanette

I think we talked about this before, or at least the bags maybe. I made a spread cloth out of a navy blue silk-like material (a.k.a. polyester) and in the corner I put a celestial sun design (machine embroidered). With a bag to match, with the same sun & my monogram on the bag. I thought maybe a lightly quilted, reversible cloth would be nice, too, and you could embroider the spread positions on it on one side. I have lots of ideas, not much time! If you're going to make them, and try to sell them, maybe you could have a sample of what you offer and take orders so you could customize. Drawn thread and hardanger are very time-consuming, I would get a deposit first! Best of luck with this, maybe you could post a picture?

catlin

As I am hopless with needlework I bought a ready cloth I use for spreads. It is blue with a Celtic knot motive in black in the middle and black Celtic borders. I like it very much because it does not hurt with the decks I usually use (I use different ones for different readings).

Besides, the cloth appeals much to me as I am a lover of Celtic design.

faunabay

I think I'm one of the weird ones!! (as usual LOL) I like my spread cloth to be plain (as opposited to celestial or patterned). The material with patterns on it fights with the cards IMO. I do realize I'm the exception though because I can't find many plain ones listed anywhere. I end up making my own. I like the silk or velvet material, but don't like patterns.
But numbrel, I think your idea sound great!! You'd have the border done fancy with your needle work and the middle part plain for the actual spread. Sounds really interesting.

tarotbear

I used a square of 44" or 45" fabric that had a wonderful celestial pattern and hemmed the edges toward the printed side, then sewed it with silver thread. The cloth is decorative enough without any other added decoration.

Once I had considered making a spread cloth with the card layouts done in fabric paint; maybe use an embroidery machine to fill the square in with the description of the location. I thought about this a while - then thought it would be too much work, unless I wanted to open a business and hang them on the walls or something!

Also included are altar cloths. I made a bunch of them in various solid colors about 18 inches wide. I hand embroidered small pentacles in each corner, and used machine embroidery to make a large pentacle in the center of each, but used flat stitches so the cloths would be less 'bumpy'.