Spreads!

Torkie

I'm going through a spread mania right now >:] Of course, that makes me curious about what other people do. (all apologies if this thread is a repeat!)

How many spreads are in your arsenal?
Do you often use different spreads, or do you have a few go-to spreads that you rely on?
Do you prefer to write your own spreads, or collect them from other sources?
Do you keep them digitally, printed, or hand-written (or just remember them?)
Do you prefer larger spreads or smaller ones?
Do you prefer to use certain spreads with certain people, or just for certain questions?
Is there a spread you will never use?

As for myself:

I have about 15 spreads in my notes right now. I use 3 spreads regularly; a 3, 5, and 7 card spread, that can all be used generally; I do go to other spreads meant for specific information when needed. I've photoshopped together some of my spreads to send to my friends online, but generally I keep them hand-written in my notes. I like both small and large spreads; like most people I guess, I like large spreads for more detail. For the most part, I use whatever spread feels right in a reading, unless it's for one of my bosses, because he prefers my 5 card spread. As of right now, I've never used the Celtic Cross. I'm not opposed to it, I guess I just don't ever have a need for it.

KMilliron

Spreads in my arsenal? Quite a few.
I rely and certain spreads sometimes.
Write my own
Digitally
Size depends on the question. Smallest I've done is one largest is thirty seven
I'll use music based spreads a lot, but I'll use CC for tarot savvy friends.
I have yet to come about a spread that deeply offends me or anything sooo...

Jes

ok, I have listed your question, then my answer.
Enjoy :)

Do you often use different spreads, or do you have a few go-to spreads that you rely on?
I love my 3 to 5 card spreads. They are the ones I use all the time, BUT I have various spreads within these card numbers.

I always like collecting spreads. I am toying with making my own, and have tweaked a few of the ones I have collected, adding/taking away cards to suit myself.

Do you keep them digitally, printed, or hand-written (or just remember them?)
hand written :)

Smaller. 3 - 5 cards, will do 7. but nothing over 7.

Do you prefer to use certain spreads with certain people, or just for certain questions?
I go with my gut. If I think i should use a certain spread I do...

Celtic Cross. I know its very popular. When I was learning it was the only spread I was aware of and I think I was a bit overwhelmed by it as a newbie. once I found others, I kinda banished it from memory lol

Cheers Jes

mza

I use a few of the spreads I've found on here like the Clarifying Relationship spread and Sulis advice spread. I also like the cross of truth spread which is just a short version of the celtic cross. Ah and then i like the Celtic cross of course. The least number of cards i feel comfortable with is 4 and the most i've ever used is 21! At other times i choose one card for each question to find an overall answer to another , kind of like splitting a major question into smaller parts. I'm still learning and experimenting so i don't think there is a spread I will never use.
KM how do you incorporate music into your readings? Interesting

KMilliron

mzansi-afrika said:
KM how do you incorporate music into your readings? Interesting
Haha have you ever seen any of my spreads? :D

nisaba

Isn't this a thread for the spreads forum?

How many spreads are in your arsenal?
Two or three that I use regularly, but an infinite number, literally, as I invent new purpose-designed spreads as and when I need them.

Both.

I ONLY use my own spreads, except when I'm required to use a set spread in the reading exchange circles here.

Do you keep them digitally,
No.

No.

or hand-written (or just remember them?)
No. No need.

Larger, generally. I really only pull out a deck when the situation is complicated. But sometimes one card will do. I prefer spreads that FIT, spreads that suit what you are reading about, whatever that is and however big or small the spread they call for.

Do you prefer to use certain spreads with certain people,
:bugeyed: If you did that, then there would be times the spread doesn't answer to their dilemma. I use a spread that is going to work for the situation.

or just for certain questions?
Or certain *kinds* of question.

I haven't used the Celtic Cross spread since about 1983 or 1984, but as I can't guarantee I never will again, I'm loathe to answer yes.

rosegold

As a newbie I don't trust myself to make up my own spreads yet, but I've been collecting small spreads from the web and hand-writing them in a pocket journal. I'm not making any special effort to memorize them but I do hope they start sticking after awhile.:TPP

I don't know if anyone's had a similar experience but it seems like out of all the spreads I've found in lwbs and companion books, there are only a few that are helpful to me. Many are just too long or not useful for the kinds of questions I have. (One of the reasons this forum has been so helpful!)

I'm pretty much in agreement with Jes about the number of cards in a reading. I usually use 5 or 6 but no more than 7. Not too few, not too many, but juuuuust right! :)

Torkie

nisaba said:
Isn't this a thread for the spreads forum?
Maybe. I took a look at posting this over there, but there seem to be no spread discussion threads, only threads posting actual spreads. I didn't want to break the flow, so I scooted it over here instead. I'm sure it'll be modded it fits better over there. I am curious, how do you remember your spreads?? It's quite the enigma for me ;)

nisaba

Um ... I don't know, they're just there in my mind when I need them.

Carla

I have several favourite spreads that I use all the time:

3 card draw

magic cauldron spread

pathways spread

tetraktys spread

and my latest favourite, the 'bewitched' pentagram spread

I really don't like the Celtic Cross at all. It never seems to do anything but tell me things I already know...and that right hand column always seems an awkward thing. I rarely use it.