swinging frustrations

lunalafey

I got my first pendulum. When I saw it I HAD to have it. It has 5 dragons; 1 on the lid (yes lid! It holds 'stuff') 2 on the sides of the pendulum & 2 on the top 'bead'. Fnny thing was that I had been thinking on the "yes/no" answer delema. A pendulum is something that can 'say' yes or no. So I do the whole callibration, what means yes/no/maybe-etc. I even went through some decks, wands swng diagonaly, swords up & down, coins in a wide circle & cups in a oval....but then after a few days- nothing.
The first night I had it, I could not get it out of my hand. Slept with it there. A day or so later I put some crystalized amber in it's chamber. I have had it put away for a few days now but still it does nothing. Did I wear it out?....;)

Cerulean

If your pendulum swings both ways, oh-oh-oh!

Sometimes I will come across a topic or two when I'm searching for something else...so I'll keep an eye out for pendulum topics while browsing the online Llewellyn journal.

Can any weighted crystal be made into an effective pendulum? It sounds beautiful and I have extra beads, etc...so it's just an idea

Mari H.

lunalafey

thanks for keeping yor eyes open for info, If you do a title search in divination for pendulums, a bunch of posts talks about crystals.

zorya

i never use my pendulum for yes or no questions at all. i never have trusted it for those kind of questions. maybe it's because i don't think there are many answers that are clearly one way or another. i do think it is an incredibly accurate tool for finding things though.

i do have another idea about what the problem might have been with asking so many questions. i believe that pendulums are guided, like so many things, by our spirit guides. if we try to play with or test them (or our tools), they seldom seem to work. we aren't taking it seriously, why should they? it's when we really need them and take the time to ground, center and focus that they do work. my pendulum never works for finding things if i don't acknowledge my guides first. if i do, it doesn't fail.

mari hoshizaki,
homemade pendulums work very well. i use one i made with a quartz crystal, wire and string.

lunalafey

thx Z

guides~ I know they are there, I have called to them to introduce themselves, nothing.
I figured that I should give it a 'rest'....I have a dragon candle lamp on my bedroom alter. I took the pendlm & wrapped the chain around on of the lampshades 'arms' 3x's (my soul #). The point of the pen hangs lower than the bead. When I looked at it after I placed it so, I noticed that the Pendlm point hanges exactly over the center of the dome of the castle tha dragon gaurds. 'Nice" my b/f said when he saw how it was placed. It had rested there for 2 days now. I won't touch it again until I need it... what about the amber resin inside? would that have any effect?

Diana

lunalafey: I don't think your pendulum will "understand" all that business about wands, swords, cups and pentacles.

Just teach it, for instance: "clockwise", "anti-clockwise" and one other movement for when it is unable to answer your question.

When you bought it, I would have suggested you put it in cold water for a few hours, and then in the sun to dry for another few hours. It had been touched by a lot of hands before yours.

And then I would teach it what to do. And carry it around with you in your pocket.

Some people, when they use pendulums, don't give the pendulum a little "push-start". I have to. It doesn't start moving otherwise. So I move it forwards and backwards a little to give it some impulsion and then I wait for it to turn in a clock-wise, or anti-clockwise movement. If it continues in a forwards-backwards movement, my question cannot be answered.

I either rephrase, or wait till the next day.

It sounds like a really beautiful pendulum. It is great to have such a lovely object. But a pendulum can be just as effective just made with a rusty nail and a piece of string...........

SongDeva

IMHO:

I've found my pendulum understands whatever I ask it to. So don't worry about answers other than yes/no (swords, cups, etc.)
Mine does yes, no, maybe, maybe not, I don't wanna' say, and I don't know. That's all I've asked it to do.

Someone here made a good point: the more centered and relaxed and open you are, the better your results will be, especially at first. After alot of practice it becomes easier and more automatic.

Also, protective while light around you and the pendulum doesn't hurt, nor does the cleansing someone here recommended.

In addition, decide who you're asking: I use it to talk to my inner-self/soul etc. on all kinds of questions, from mundane to more serious. Make your intention clear: I'm working with my soul today, I'm working with my guides now, angels, etc.

I would further say that you don't need to be serious and sombre about it all the time. The spirit of playfulness aids manifestation in our lives. Your guides can enjoy that with you and still understand that you are learning and committed. Remember, as thrilled as you are to be working with your guides, they are twice as thrilled and jumping for joy that you are beginning to work with them!