Talking Tarot: International

Talisman

'Lo all,

I know our common language is English. Else I wouldn't be here.

But, I am from North America, and it occurs to me how often in posts I use slang, and colloquiaisms and regionalisms. If you don't have a clue what I am talking about (an expanding cliche) you can just skip over it, but still . . .

What suggests this is, in another thread, I told Kiama I was "pickled tink" she used the Talisman spread. 'Course, I meant, "tickled pink," and there ain't no way I can even attempt to explain that.

Anyway, it is wonderful that we are all united by a common subject -- Tarot -- that we all agree about. Sometimes. Maybe. Ah, hell, no. That we argue about and tug at like two houn' dawgs(*) over a bone.

(* houn' dawg is a North American regionalism for a kinda dog, a canine, a four-footed omnivorous mammal -- Aw, forget it.)

But folks, ain't it wonderful?

Talisman

Major Tom

You do make me smile Talisman. :)

Just wait until some of our English friends start talking Cockney rhyming slang. LOL

Ah well - time for me to be off up apples and pears. ;-)

Talisman

Exactly, Major Tom.

Just what I was talkin' 'bout.

Talisman

bec

This is a gread thread Talisman !!!

Ever considered that us non-english people tend to mix up ALL your local terms of slang ?

I know I adobt *anything* puts them in my little pot and stirr - throw them on the table and see what I get.

Maybe that?s why I don?t always makes sence

(I want my smileys back !!!!!!)

Kiama

You want regional dialect? I shall now talk in my family's language: Good ole (Farmer's) accent!

"On the subject of this ere Tarot cards, what 'e do wiv 'em then? I knowed a girl, and she'da be usin' 'em ever' day she do. Shed'a given me a readin' once, and I'da ben right int'rested an' all, see. I do cme from a small town near Gllignham, an' Id'a never heard 'bout them Tarot cards, so Id'a been int'rested. Id'a been told in chich (Church) that they'da be of the devil, but this ere girl waz (Was) nice as a cow in Summer...."

It takes while for people to understand what my family is saying!

And some of my fave colloquiallisms is quite obscure: Kissmas, Chish and Fips, Feek and Weeble, Scoof, Phisolophy, etc etc...

Its great though that so many people of all ags, nationality, gender, interests, who would never normally meet, hve found a place where we are all interestd in the same thing: Tarot. Such a unifying force!

Kiama

catlin

Hi,

I am no native English speaker and I usually get on very well with all the different variations of English, in fact it's very interesting to see how everyday English develops and it enriches my vocabulary. Such things add flesh to the grammatical bones (it is my fav image to compare the school English with a skeleton and all such addies such as colloquialisms, etc are the flesh).

Jewel

Quote:Kiama (18 Dec, 2001 21:42):
You want regional dialect? I shall now talk in my family's language: Good ole (Farmer's) accent!

"On the subject of this ere Tarot cards, what 'e do wiv 'em then? I knowed a girl, and she'da be usin' 'em ever' day she do. Shed'a given me a readin' once, and I'da ben right int'rested an' all, see. I do cme from a small town near Gllignham, an' Id'a never heard 'bout them Tarot cards, so Id'a been int'rested. Id'a been told in chich (Church) that they'da be of the devil, but this ere girl waz (Was) nice as a cow in Summer...."

It takes while for people to understand what my family is saying!

And some of my fave colloquiallisms is quite obscure: Kissmas, Chish and Fips, Feek and Weeble, Scoof, Phisolophy, etc etc...
Kiama

Howdy y'all ~giggles~ Kiama darlin are you sure you aint from Texas? those words of yours sound awful familiar to some I've heard down in East Texas when I was a there visitin' some time back. Well y'all take care now you hear ... I gotta be mozien' off now.
*ROFLMAO* ...this is a fun topic! *LOL*

Love & Light,

tarotbear

Is 'pickled tink' a "malapropism", named after a character called Mrs. Malaprop?

The bind moggles.

Kiama

Quote:Jewel (19 Dec, 2001 07:06):
Howdy y'all ~giggles~ Kiama darlin are you sure you aint from Texas? those words of yours sound awful familiar to some I've heard down in East Texas when I was a there visitin' some time back. Well y'all take care now you hear ... I gotta be mozien' off now.
*ROFLMAO* ...this is a fun topic! *LOL*

Love & Light,

I'da bin thinkin' that those two speakins are diff'rent. You see, you'da gotta put in the English voice, see, and add in bit of the farm, and then you'da got it!

Kiama *ROFLMAO*

Jewel

Quote:Kiama (19 Dec, 2001 18:46):
I'da bin thinkin' that those two speakins are diff'rent. You see, you'da gotta put in the English voice, see, and add in bit of the farm, and then you'da got it!
Kiama *ROFLMAO*

~Giggles~ Well hon, ya see they might not have that fancy English voice but da ones I heard down yonder did have quite a bit a farm and a twang too. You should go check 'em out sometime, I aint kidden ya *ROFLMAO*