Tarot and Alzheimers?

Mallah

Anyone ever know a (long-time) card reader who developed alzheimers? I'm just wondering, since intuition probably comes from a different part of the brain, if and when the ability faded...if they could keep reading or not. I have known some who were able to sing, in perfect harmony, and remember all the words, long after they stopped speaking.

Just wondering.

The crowned one

Anyone ever know a (long-time) card reader who developed alzheimers? I'm just wondering, since intuition probably comes from a different part of the brain, if and when the ability faded...if they could keep reading or not. I have known some who were able to sing, in perfect harmony, and remember all the words, long after they stopped speaking.

Just wondering.

This is strange.. I was thinking today it is a shame I would be fired for trying a experiment with dementia patients and tarot cards to see what sort of response those with Wernicke's and Broca's area's still intact would say... Ask the same 20 patients the same question every day over a few month period using the majors and seeing the deviation in response per person and between person. The paperwork and permissions make it impossible in Canada.

EDIT for clarity: I was talking about not reading the cards but defining the majors, what they thought the card represented.

hunter

I have memory loss issues due to seizures and severe Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I don't just forget events and pieces of information, but I lose skills (knit, divide, cook a steak), I am often very very literal, and struggle to understand context and the big picture.

Having worked with people with Alzheimers and suffering from some of the same symptoms, I would definately say yes, their disability would affect their ability to read. Reading is more than psychic ability and/or memorizing the meaning of individual cards. There is the need for application and context.

I struggle to read the cards more and more as I am deteriorating. I don't read for others anymore. I continue to self-soothe with my cards and just do what I can. Not that I was ever a good reader :-0 But still...I have noticed a significant decrease in my reading abilities.

Mallah

I'm sorry to hear that, hunter. And thank you for sharing that information. My best to you.