Tarot and Indivuation-Dr Irene Gad

mahimaisme

any comments on the book? i'm considering getting it on reccomendation... what does it deal with? is it helpful?
thanks,
mahima.

Bonnie

Outstanding read!

"Tarot and Individuation", by Irene Gad, Ph.D., is an outstanding book. Coming from a Jungian POV, Dr. Gad discusses correspondences with Alchemy, Cabala, and the chakras. I found the writing to be clear, and easy to follow, so that someone who did not necessarily have a solid background in the Cabala could follow the line of thought, and benefit fromt he presentation.

In Jungian terms, the Major Arcana is all about the process of "individuation", of becoming a whole person. Dr. Gad's work here is all about amplification, or placing a symbol in a wider context for interpretation. Here she specifically takes the archetypes of the Tarot and shows correspondences through Alchemy, Cabala and the chakras.

The copy of this book that I have is the 2004 revision. It includes a spread taken from Rosemary Guiley and Robert M. Place's "The Alchemical Tarot". Dr. Gad calls this spread "The Transcendent Function Spread", and presents it as a tool for looking into the underlying aspects of relationships and conflict.

As if her own thoughts were not enough, there is also a comprehensive section on Tarot spreads that I found to be good reference material.

More of my thoughts on this book are in the book review section of AT.

Blessings,
Bonnie

mahimaisme

well, thank you :)
i'm going to go get myself the book tomorrow. :)
looking forward to it...i've been eying it for ages but just wasn't sure whether to get it or not...its quite heavy looking!

:)

mahima.