Tarot and Magic

Talisman

'Lo all,

This being a preliminary to Jewel's challenge to prove that Tarot originated in Lyonesse.

Consider real magic. If you are a skeptic (a person who habitually doubts, questions, or suspends judgment), I will march under your banner. Me too. I'm from Missouri (well, I got stuck there once), so, show me.

So, here is some "real" magic. You can not talk me out of it, 'cause I've empirically witnessed what I say.

Start with intuition. I think intuition is just the unconscious mind learning to talk to the conscious mind. If you are a regular reader of the forums, witness what MeeWah and Mojo are able to do, among others. Mojo once explained this ability as "just looking at the cards and telling a story." But, look at the keen insights! Tarot magic!

Magical powers are manifest, and we recognize them when they take the shape we call "talents."

*For example: Sometimes we call a "talent" for working with plants a "Green Thumb." Ever know anyone who had this talent, this magic? I have.

*A touch of pre-cognition or clairvoyance? Well, I am currently living on the west coast of North America, and when earthquakes come everything turns to jelly. Smart dogs and cats predict these earthquakes, hours before they come. (There is a theory that earthquakes come after a lot of electromagnetic upset, producing static electricity, which makes an animal's hair stand up and quiver and so alerts them.)

*Perfect sense of direction.

*Healing. (If you don't believe there really are "healers," then you've never met one and this magic is denied to you. I must lean on empirical evidence.)

*A strong empathy for animals. If you don't think this is magic, then you've never witnessed an empathic trainer.

Magic. But . . .

Was housesetting for a house, a dog and a cat. Dog and I found a frisbee magic, but for cat, it was a plain paper bag. Cat, she knocked the bag over, climbed in, hunkered down, turned around, peered out.

For her, it was great cover, a hunter's tree stand, where she could watch "prey" going by and could wait for the perfect moment to pounce.

Now Dog and I could hear the rustling and rattling of that paper bag, and we didn't dangle our ankles there. But cat? Her instinct told her she was invisible, and that's almost as good as the real thing.

Thing is, about every "magic" thing I've mentioned: Not one can be "proved." But, they can all be "observed." You've either observed these things, or you haven't.

Talisman

Jewel

~Giggles~ Hi Talisman ... I can't wait for the Lyonnese part ~chuckles~ ... No for real here, I totally agree with you. I honestly believe that as we are "socialized" when we grow up we are taught to ignore our subconcious and unconcious minds. Working with meditation, the Tarot, etc. helps us begin to reform those connections. When we can bring the subconcious into the conscious world I think we can trully achieve wonders ... hence the phrase "if you can dream it ... you can make it happen" ... that is magic.

Another example of this is when we have a deja vu or strong intuitive feelings about things ... pretty amazing stuff.

Now what is it we are supposed to be discussing again Talisman? ~giggles madly~

Love & Light,

blue

Quote:Start with intuition. I think intuition is just the unconscious mind learning to talk to the conscious mind.

The unconscious mind talking to the conscious mind. Isn't that what writers do?

Quote:(There is a theory that earthquakes come after a lot of electromagnetic upset, producing static electricity, which makes an animal's hair stand up and quiver and so alerts them.)

Talisman

I don't know about anyone else here, but my hair stands straight up every time Talisman posts.

tarotbear

Quote:

I don't know about anyone else here, but my hair stands straight up every time Talisman posts.

Does that mean that Talisman causes the earthquakes?

blue

tarotbear (09 Jan, 2002 16:42):
Quote:Does that mean that Talisman causes the earthquakes?

I think so... another perfect example of magic!