Tarot and messing with Karma

a_shikhs

I've been thinking about this concept and wonder when we read tarot for people, sometimes do we somehow come between their life journey and karmic issue?

What I mean is that usually when I read tarot for someone, they ask, "Ok should I do this? Or should I go ahead with that?" and these sort of questions. And when they follow the card's advice, they always come back and say that "Oh you were so right and that Thank God, I didn't take that move or else it would have ruined me" and such answers.

But what if they were meant to go ahead with that negative situation and learn it the hard way and I sort of saved them from going through the trouble. Then, am I messing with their karma? Am I saving them the trouble of learning it the negative way and 'butting in'?

How do we know when to or when not to cross that fine line? Does this make any sense because it's kind of bothering me.

Carla

On the other hand, maybe your guidance through the tarot reading was part of the journey they were meant to have. The decision of which way to go still lay with them, whichever way you look at it.

a_shikhs

On the other hand, maybe your guidance through the tarot reading was part of the journey they were meant to have. The decision of which way to go still lay with them, whichever way you look at it.
Yeah I know what you mean. But what I mean is when do you draw that line where guidance and interference meet? ;)

tarotbear

You say "Karma" like it's a bad word. You (don't take this personal - just spouting here) make it sound as though if your "Karmic Destiny" (for example) is to fall off a mountain and be crushed under a falling boulder - you have NO CHOICE but to accept this? That would say that our lives are pre-programmed and predestintined and if you were supposed to meet an evil end, it doesn't matter how good you were in life. Conversely, if you were destined to 'go to Heaven' it wouldn't make a difference how evil you lived your life. That does not make sense.

That is why we read tarot - to find out about our choices and accept that which we cannot change, but change the things we can (and hopefully learn the difference.) If we didn't, there would be no reason to read tarot. "Alice- you're going to go to heaven! Bob - you're going to go to hell!" What would they come to you for a reading about?

Remember - Karma Schmarma - we all have free will; without it there would be no reason to be alive.

a_shikhs

I don't speak of karma and neither do I think of it is a bad word or anything. And yes I am very well aware of the whole concept of free will. But what I am asking about is just out of curiosity and I know that of course everyone has a CHOICE in whatever decision they take in life. I was only 'wondering' here that sometimes when we help people with important decisions and make life easy for them as tarot sometimes can be very direct and precise in answers, do we interfere with their karma? I know that tarot can help people by guiding them on the right path but what if too much guidance is hindering their path. This is just a thought as its a different way of seeing it and just to be clear, I am not against anything and don't think ill of anything. It just crossed my mind and I just want an opinion and a healthy discussion. :)

tarotbear

How do we know that the Tarot ISN'T Karma in a material format?

DownwardSpiral

I've been thinking about this concept and wonder when we read tarot for people, sometimes do we somehow come between their life journey and karmic issue?
But what if they were meant to go ahead with that negative situation and learn it the hard way and I sort of saved them from going through the trouble.

The way I understand life issues....if you don't "get it" the first time...the issue will present itself again....and the lesson will hurt a little more (each time) until you do get it.

So if the reading somehow interfered....they'll get another chance : )

Milfoil

But what if they were meant to go ahead with that negative situation and learn it the hard way and I sort of saved them from going through the trouble. Then, am I messing with their karma? Am I saving them the trouble of learning it the negative way and 'butting in'?

How do we know when to or when not to cross that fine line? Does this make any sense because it's kind of bothering me.

This presupposes that there is a fine line in the first place. From a shamanic point of view, everything is about balance and 'karma' is just another term for the balancing effect of our actions. One thing that I have found is that when going through difficult times, where we realise that something is wrong, we have free will (choice) as part of our inherent make up. This means that we can continue down one path and learn by difficulties (the shamanic illness) which brings us to a low place where we give up and then allow the Universe to lead us in a new direction OR we can realise that something needs to change way before it gets to that point. Then we go seek help, ask advice and make changes. That's where a diviner, doctor, lawyer or other adviser comes in to help us see past our problems to the clearer view of our options.

Both ways are open to us and even then we still have choice but whichever route we decide upon, the Universe brings us as close to finding the realisation we need as possible - the rest we have to do for ourselves.

So is there a fine line that a diviner/tarot reader crosses, absolutely not, unless you TELL people what they MUST do and remove that choice from them. We cannot pre-suppose that a client has no choice in matters of karma, only that they are where they should be right now.

starrystarrynight

The way I understand karma is that it's a sort of cause-and-effect situation. We do tarot readings to help us understand how our motivations and current actions ( the "cause") will lead us to a possible outcome (the "effect"), if we allow things to flow as they are flowing. But karma is not set in stone (as they say) because our actions are always subject to change by free will.

So, if a reading helps us to change our current action by showing us the possible outcome of it if we don't change it (and don't like what it could cause,) I don't see that as interfering with karma at all. The lesson it is teaching us may come to us in a different way (through a tarot reading,) but it still comes to us and requires us to learn from or about it. And as DownwardSpiral said, if we don't learn it that way, life will present it to us another way until we do learn it, anyway.

a_shikhs

Yes, this does make sense about karma repeating itself until the lesson is learned.

Ok, let me give an example. I have been doing readings for a very good friend -A for the past one year. Any problem she has, she will call me up for a reading. She trusts the cards to such an extent that she will listen to them and do exactly what they say. A year ago, I had helped her come out of a bad relationship and thus her trust in the cards.

She'll call me once in a few weeks to ask questions regarding various situations in her life, everything from work related problems to relationship problems. I like helping her, but sometimes I feel she's too dependent on tarot.

A month back, she asked if she should date a certain guy and I said that if she went ahead she would get hurt. So she completely dumped him and moved on. I know I did help her and guide her on the right path, but my question is, 'What If' she was meant to date this guy and get hurt, and I kind of 'butted in' and intervened. I know that she is not speaking to him because she trusts the cards blindly and 'the cards said so' and she is not in touch with him.

I know that she is too dependent on tarot and that I should stop answering all her little questions as she needs to make decisions herself, but I'm only wondering here, that if I stopped her from dating this guy, would she have to spend another lifetime going through that karma. It's just a thought. :p