Tarot and the Tree of Life-Kliegman

lawguy51

I've had this book for a while but didn't pick it up to read until a couple of weeks ago. One word....WOW! What an amazing book. It's impacted me enough to make me want to pull my Universal Waite deck off the shelf and put away my Thoth for a while (well, at least I'm thinking of doing that ;) ). Just amazing descriptions of the Minors. I'm seeing new things in almost every card. In fact, the descriptions are so vivid and insightful, I found it ocassionally made me question the validity of clone decks. It's that good. And the tie-in with the Tree of Life is quite illuminating. Highly recommended for those you who have yet to read it.

Lawguy51

lark

Hi lawguy51,
I had to come over and say Hi because I heard someone talking about one of my favorite books.
When you've been reading about tarot for a long time every book starts to sound the same.
Or else it falls off the deep end into alot of stuff you'ld rather not get into.
This is a book that helps you see the cards from a different perspective. You see nuances of meaning that you may intuitivly have felt were there, but were never able to put into words.
And it gently and understandably teaches you about the Tree of Life.
If nothing else makes sense in a reading and I'm stuck, pulling this book out ALWAYS gives me a fresh perspective.
And opens up the cards in a new way.
Glad to see you like it.

Bean Feasa

chiming in!

Hi lawguy 51 and lark,
I'd like to chime in and agree with both of you that this book is wonderful. I think 'Tarot and the Tree of Life' beats 78 Degrees of Wisdom' hands down in its interpretations of the Minors. As lark says, Isabel Kliegman gives voice to nuances of wisdom that ring really true. Lots of clicking went on in my head when I read it, click click click went things going into place! I bought the Universal Waite deck because of this book, and find it a really clear deck for readings.
Just a word to anyone who might be deterred from reading this because of the Tree of Life connection. Although I found the explanation enlightening, you could if you wanted, leave the Tree of Life material aside and still benefit hugely from this book. Kliegman's interpretations of the cards, though drawing a lot of sustenance from the Tree of Life, do also stand alone.
So buy it or borrow it, get it somehow, and enjoy; that's my advice :)
blessings,
Kate

lark

Re: chiming in!

Bean Feasa said:
Just a word to anyone who might be deterred from reading this because of the Tree of Life connection. Although I found the explanation enlightening, you could if you wanted, leave the Tree of Life material aside and still benefit hugely from this book. Kliegman's interpretations of the cards, though drawing a lot of sustenance from the Tree of Life, do also stand alone.
So buy it or borrow it, get it somehow, and enjoy; that's my advice :)
blessings,
Kate
This is a really good point to bring up Bean Feasa. Some people don't like attaching other systems of meaning to there cards. I'm not heavily into the Tree of Life myself. But if I would have let that stop me from buying this book I'd have missed a real gem.
And like you say the meanings stand on there own and she isn't "in your face" with the Tree of Life. It just adds a new dimension to the cards. Very good book.

Imagemaker

I second what's been said. I bought this book because I was exploring the Gill deck and wanted to know just a bit more about the Tree of Life (not in depth, I could go crazy exploring tangents). Then I found the book really helpful on Rider Waite itself.

In addition to "how many decks do you own?"--how about a thread on "how many tarot books do you own?"

Then Umbrae can point and snicker :D

lawguy51

I third. Yet I think the Tree of Life stuff is useful in that, even if you don't grasp all of the Kaballistic nuances, it is still always important to be able to grasp the commonality and meaning of the numbered cards as a group, e.g., all of the 5's. And Kliegman does this wonderfully.

LG51

gloria

I agree.....this is a 'fab' book....and glad to see there are still those that appreciate the fact that books and their authors still manage to enlighten us.

wildinthemist

I wary wary at first, but was seduced into buying the book purely and simply because it was devoted to the minor suits. So few books really do them justice.

I have spent the last year pretty much devoted to studying the tree of life. After reading Kliegman's book, I felt the urge to dip my toe in the water of qabalah. Now I am ready to read Kliegman's book again, with that background of knowledge. I got so much out of it first time around .... I can't even begin to imagine to precious gems I will find this time.

Highly recommend this book. A must-have in your library, methinks.

Ruby Red Slippers

Thanks for a the wonderful posts on this book.

I am enjoying her take on the minor cards and she has given me a new perspective on the meaning of the cards in a unique way!

AND another book gets added to my library!
This one is a real jewel though as it is Very different from the Numerous other books I've read!

Perhaps books come into our lives at different times of our development. This one has sure hit a cord in me now!

HOLMES

i loved her book

the only thing is, her world assocations with her court cards were changed , she gave those reasons before she started describing the court cards.

as a result you may get a slightly differnt feel for the court cards then what waite may of intended. (given that the book is illustrated with the waite deck).

i am waiting to see if she does a major book for given her take on the minors i am looking forward to it a great deal should it be forthcoming.