Tarot and Yoga

Shackles

Please feel free to share your thoughts on this...

I practicing yoga on and off for a few years now. Yoga gives me a feeling of being at peace and being grounded despite the craziness that abounds in the world today. It is also helps me feel fit and limber.

Recently I started asking my Tarot a question and pulling a single card before starting a session. I meditate on the card and it's meaning for my question while I am performing yoga poses. At the end of the session when I do the "dead man's pose" or "final relaxation pose" I have a more vivid meditation where I can envision the solution. It leaves me with a deeper understanding of both my question and the answer.

Practicing this way has also made my other (non-yoga) readings more accurate. When I do a spreads for others they are dead on, where before they were hit and miss. I believe that yoga has helped me to re-aligned my spirit, mind, and body helping me to experience a more stronger connection to my tarot.

Has anyone else tried this?

Imagemaker

I've been doing both yoga and meditation for 30+ years. When I came to tarot a few years ago, it flowed like warm maple syrup :)

Definitely the yoga helps!

Shackles

Suggestions?

Do you have any suggestions for continuing this process. Perhaps a combination of poses that you use. Sometimes the same old gets to be to repetitious.....

(Also forgot to mention earlier that I use soft meditation music in the background as an aide. )

Imagemaker

I never do a set pattern of poses. Just in each session, do at least one that bends your spine in each of the 4 directions, one on the floor, and one standing pose. Add more as time permits.

The more you get to know your body, the more you feel what it wants that day. I also use the sun salutation to warm up (raise fire energy) if I'm feeling sluggish.

I do much more of a flowing movement from pose to pose, having been long trained by Kripalu style teachers. Like meditation, yoga is about consistent practice with full attention. Getting better at that helps your tarot reading, when you can stay focused, notice everything, and listen to your intuition when you look at the images on the cards.

autumn star

just wanted to say ...

thanks for this thread ... :)

I'm thinking about taking up Yoga myself ... and this thread was very encouraging ... thanks :)

jules

Hi

Last night a friend and i did yoga and then tarot spreads for each other!!
funny that this thread was here this morning!
anyway I think that my reading was definently improved by the meditation that came from the yoga i think that its a great way to clear your mind before a reading :)

Shackles

more yoga

I like the fact that not only does yoga help me in readings, but also in my personal life. I feel more stable... and there is definitly less stress.

aja

funny, I was thinking the other day that the two things that have really helped me become more centered over the last while are tarot and yoga. I've been doing yoga for 2-3 years now and returned earlier this year to tarot.

Shackles, I like your method of meditating on a card during practice - I think that I'll try that as well - thanks for sharing.

Shackles

Method

I like the one card method, it is like a promise box from church.... But I also do the three card method on more serious questions. For this I usually do a more meditative session as apposed to the full yoga routine.

Shackles

Water

Something I forgot to mention was that I drink alot of water after a session. I'm sure its my bodys way of washing out the crud that gets in there and refreshing me. That and I always feel really thirsty afterwards...