Tarot as Muse?

EvaSegovia

So I've been thinking -- The Tarot as Story could inspire, say a writer, or a playwright, or someone in the visual arts, but what about the painter, or the artisan, or the craftsman? I mean I have, in the past, looked to the Tarot for advice on whether to pursue some direction or other, but never to actually inspire me. Does anyone have any experience using Tarot this way? And if so, do you use a certain spread? How do you connect? Would really appreciate any feedback... Thanks. Eva

Original Destiny

Initially I was going to say no being a painter but on reflection I can see the influence of the RWS colours in my work and the simplicity if the forms. Other than that I don't find tarot imagery inspiring nor have I ever consulted the tarot in regards to my work as I'm driven by my surroundings. But that's just me I guess. Sorry I can't help Eva but I'm sure others will
John

EvaSegovia

Sorry it's taken this long to post a reply... Time difference... Since I haven't had any other comments, I'm thinking yours is as close as I'm going to get: influenced but not driven by... And not consulted... I was hoping for a lead on co-creation. May be barking up the wrong tree. Thanks for responding, John...

Achlys

I've seen a lot of works of art that are based on tarot cards but not intended to be a full deck, so I suppose tarot can influence art styles. People also get tarot tattoos, etc. so I don't see why the tarot can't inspire an artist or craftsman. I don't know of people who use specific spreads for such a thing. It's really more using the art from individual cards.

EvaSegovia

So Achlys, do you think that if a single card can inspire a work, what about a spread? What I guess I'm getting at here is this: When faced with a creative block, has anyone done a spread to point them in a direction? To me that would be a co-creation. The Tarot would then inspire. Tarot as Muse. Am I too out there...?

chickeypie

I'm not a painter but I use the tarot for inspiration all the time. I often use it to help create an outfit or look. Sometimes I ask for inspiration and draw a card. For example the colours of a card could guide me to choosing clothes in matching colours. I also get inspired by the theme of the card. The Queen of Cups suggests a glamorous romantic look, Strenght a tougher look, Death a goth inspired make up look, the Star could influence my jewerly and inspire me to wear glitter.

EvaSegovia

Chickeypie you are awesome!!!!!! This is EXACTLY what I've been wondering about, but maybe unable to articulate clearly.... THIS is the co-creation I've wondered about... The Tarot as Muse... Could be an outfit, a party mood, a line of jewelry.... Anything really... So you use one card, and it seems to be enough... Have you ever tried a spread? Like maybe Devil, Queen of Cups, and Star for instance? Thanks so much for the reply. I think you totally nailed what I was hoping for. Eva

chickeypie

Chickeypie you are awesome!!!!!! This is EXACTLY what I've been wondering about, but maybe unable to articulate clearly.... THIS is the co-creation I've wondered about... The Tarot as Muse... Could be an outfit, a party mood, a line of jewelry.... Anything really... So you use one card, and it seems to be enough... Have you ever tried a spread? Like maybe Devil, Queen of Cups, and Star for instance? Thanks so much for the reply. I think you totally nailed what I was hoping for. Eva

Glad that my comment was useful. I often read these threads and learn lots but do not have enough insight to contribute.

I usually pick one card, but sometimes I will draw more and create a story based on the cards.
The story of the Devil, Queen if Cups and the Star could be a singer who was very talented and became famous, she often dressed in bondage style clothes and appeared as a dominatrix. She was suduced by fame but underneath it she just wanted to be a people pleaser. The colours would be black, blue, yellow, navy and gold. I would keep drawing until I had a story.

What about 3 cards each representing a layer of the painting or drawing cards and making a composition of images or impressions you get from the cards?

EvaSegovia

The story, to me, is what I've always associated with the writer, the playwright... But taken in this new light of what style this person might wear or what colors would go well is fantastic! And I think you're right about the 3 card draw. Maybe it would be the best in terms of getting images and impressions, which is really what I'm after. Anything more might complicate things (?) Anyway, I'm going to work with this... Thanks again, Chickeypie!

Inana

Out there, there are some fiction books inspired by tarot too. And maybe you would like to take a look at "Tarot for Writers" by Corrine Kenner.