tarot books for decks. what do you think ?

HOLMES

yay or nay should i invest in tracking one down,
edited to add,
the orginal title of this thread was new palladini tarot book yay or nay, but i changed it after seeing i wanted to talk about more.

i must say i am enthralled with the new palladini and currently use that deck or hudes at this time (i think because they still look new ehehehe)

how in depth does it go ?
1. does it go into his reasons for symbolism like robin wood book .
2. does he give what system he used ?i.e. qabblah or astrology ?
3. is it thick ?
(for me that is my last indicator if it is iffy when i pick a tarot book. thickness for that way at least i know i will have something to read.

and how about ancestral path tarot book, ?
is that worth investing in ?

the legend athurian tarot book what is your take on that for those who have it ?

it used to be a pratice of mine not to get a deck unless there was a book for it.
but as some decks have no book i slowly (quickly let go of that idea when i came to aeclectic came to think of it ) let go of that idea.

looking at my athurian tarot i love the book that comes out for it, for the landscapes by themselves are hard to read despite my love of the book.

as most books now give your qabbalah meanings, or astrology .
what do you look for in deck specific books ?
i am currently looking for ,
1. how much in depth the author gets into the deck, (buckland roman, cannon reed, robin wood, and hudes tarot book are big helps to understand that deck )

Rusty Neon

I've been stung by companion books for quite a few of my decks, where I've bought the companion book the same time as the deck. In hindsight, I now know that it's best not to buy the companion book right away, and instead to work with just the cards (and LWB) to get a handle on the new deck and to actually _read_ the LWB. Then, assuming that you _still like_ the deck, you can then go to the store to look over the companion book. By that time, you're more likely to be able to discern whether or not the companion book gives any added value for its cost.

lark

HOLMES said:
yay or nay should i invest in tracking one down,
edited to add,
the orginal title of this thread was new palladini tarot book yay or nay, but i changed it after seeing i wanted to talk about more.

i must say i am enthralled with the new palladini and currently use that deck or hudes at this time (i think because they still look new ehehehe)

how in depth does it go ?
1. does it go into his reasons for symbolism like robin wood book .
2. does he give what system he used ?i.e. qabblah or astrology ?
3. is it thick ?
(for me that is my last indicator if it is iffy when i pick a tarot book. thickness for that way at least i know i will have something to read.
Hi HOLMES, I have the New Palladini book and deck set. The book is written by Susan Hansson. It goes into the symbolism of the deck but not as extensively as Robin Wood. I'll give you an example:

Two of Swords- A female figure dressed in a protective suit of mail holds two crossed swords. The blindfold suggests she cannot see; however, her free hands imply she can remove the blindfold. Trees stand fast on green hills in the background. Dusk falls lending a purple haze to the partially cloudy sky. A crescent moon in the center emphasizes the symmetry of the clouds, trees swords and hands.
Then there is the upright and reverse meaning. And that's it on the minors.

The majors are different. Example the Moon.
Numeral 18: the individual steeped in intense emotion, has difficulties sorting things through.
Hebrew Letter Qoph: head
Cabalah: Path 19 Netzach (victory) to Malkuth (kingdom)
Astrological Influence: Pisces. the fish are psychic, reflective, mysterious, and reflect qualities of all twelve zodiac signs.
Motto: I believe/I escape
Then there is a description of what the card looks like.
The meanings are divided into classic upright and reverse meanings. And modern up right and reverse meanings. There is one page discussing color symbolism, two pages on numerology, two on Cabalah, one on Hebrew letters. Nothing in depth. The book is 218 pages.
Hope this helps you make a decision. Namaste

Lee

I have to say I was not impressed with the New Palladini book. It was apparently written without any input from Palladini. There are many details on the cards which are not discussed in the book. For example, on the Strength card, the woman's eyes are closed, while the lion's eyes are open and are human eyes. Also, the woman seems to be growing out of the lion. These details aren't mentioned in the book. The book seems to have been a rush job, just to have a book. This is one book where I would honestly say it's not worth the money.

The Ancestral Path, on the other hand, is written by someone who worked with the artist to develop the text, and does offer many insights that are of help when working with that deck.

-- Lee

Emily

Most of the deck books I have are worth it, the Spiral, Crow's Magick, Tarot of the Spirit, Haindl, the various books I have on the Thoth - all give good information on the cards - the Spiral one is invaluable if only for the stories on the majors. The Rohrig book could have been better, for the most part the book is took up by full size coloured images of each card and not much writing lol. I like the companion book to the Morgan Greer but not enough information about the card descriptions is included.

For decks that are not in the traditional vein then the companion books might be the only way to get a feeling for the deck, you just have to hope that they have been well written.