tarot box idea

brad

Mods, if this is bad, please don't shoot me!

I'm trying to think of things to sell on ebay or etcy.

Does anybody think that a tarot box made out of metal would sell? I have never seen one, and there may well be a reason for having not seen them. Just curious if the idea is something that would be interesting. In an attempt to follow with the board guidelines, I can't take requests, or say what my name is on ebay or etcy... and I probably better be safe and not even say for sure if I decide to make a couple or not.

Rosanne

Hi brad!
The idea of a Tarot box in metal sounds great, but if you are talking about it in a storage way, it would need to be lined somehow to stop the damp.
I make boxes for all my favourite decks, specific to them, but they have all been made out of wood or papier mache, I line them with fabric.
My Desert Island case (for fire etc) is a leather case, but when my childhood home was burned down, all the family treasure were in a metal army locker. So metal had it's place fortunately.
I am personally very fond of renaissance metal plaquettes, and a copy on a lid would be beyond my reach finacially. Would I buy on the 'web'? Not personally, but I might get someone to purchase for me if I was a little flush at the time.
Good Luck with your idea!
~Rosanne

McFaire

I like to make things too, and I've been tinkering with some ideas for tarot boxes and pouches. I draw, paint, work with textiles, wood, paper.

I'll be interested to see what comments you get about materials.

I decided I wasn't going to use any zippers, snaps, or magnetic closures, but I don't know why I made that decision. It just felt right.

If you create a product, or want to take orders, you can talk about it in the advertising section.

GryffinSong

If its pretty, and especially if its lined with velvet or something, I imagine that people will like them and buy them. Boxes are always useful. If they can't use it for decks, they can use it for jewelry or whatever.

Good luck!

HudsonGray

There are some metal cigarette boxes (flip top) that would fit a standard deck if it was small enough. My SO has a brushed metal gold one that's very pretty (just wish his cigarettes would disappear so I don't have to deal with THAT!)

lilangel09

Some Tarot decks come in tins. The Vanessa Tarot and The Rosetta Tarot (mini?) have come in tins.

Some people like the tins.

As for whether people go out and buy tins for their decks, I don't know.

There are probably some people who do.

I used to keep my deck wrapped up and placed in a metal pencil box.

I eventually stopped using the "tin" and just keep it wrapped up in a cloth bag.

I have a tin for pokemon cards that I use to keep my ear buds. :)

McFaire

Some Tarot decks come in tins. The Vanessa Tarot and The Rosetta Tarot (mini?) have come in tins.

That's true. I have the Rosetta (both) and I quite like the mini tin.

I know some people are very particular about their decks, pouches should be silk, no one else should touch the cards, things like that. I'm curious if some people have concerns about metals, or magnets (as in closures).

Mystic Zyl

I have a deck from I believe from Belgium and it about tobacco and pipes, it came in a metal case. One thing I have to say about some readers they do not want metal around there sacred tools like tarot...in fact rheir altars are not to contain any metal, like nails....Myself, I don't care if there is metal.

I hate the little flimsy boxes where the top flap rips a little to open them up and the sides come unglued. My fav boxes are the heavy ones made out of cardboard and two pieces that fit together, like the old Aquarian deck that Morgan published, before they sold the rights.

Bags are a pain, and I forget what is in the bag. I have lots of decks and it is just not practial to use bags. I personally use a couple of antique wooden boxes to carry my cards in when I leave the house.

brad

thanks for the responces! I'll consider the comments and think about it some more! For now, I have a new (to me) phone that I'm trying to get the hang of.