Tarot Genovese

Le Fanu

Does anyone have this Fournier deck?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/genovese/

It is never mentioned here, and I know there are quite a few Soprafino junkies here at AT (myself being one of them).

Is there a site which has the whole deck? Or can anyone scan a few cards different from the ones which are here on AT in the Cards section?

I like the look of it, but would like to see more; sometimes the sliced-in-halfness of it creates a weird effect.... Is it merely a double ended version of the Ancient Italian?

Any opinions welcome...

Astraea Aurora

Hi Le Fanu

what I find most intersting about the look of the cards is not only that it reminds me of playing cards but also that the Hanged Man is absolutely headless. Weird!! They could have changed that part easily so that he'd have a head.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

philebus

I don't have my pack to hand but, while some of the cards shown here are the same as the LS Ancient Italian (the Lovers and the Hanged Man), the others all differ.

However, it is a soprafino made double ended simply by chopping the image in two. We are used to our playing cards being double ended by design but this practice is not uncommon in later game packs and in those used in Italy today. If you look at the modern Tarocco Piedmontese and the Tarocco Bolognese, they have been made double ended in the same way.

HearthCricket

I am so glad to own this deck. I have always drooled over this style of deck in Kaplan's Encyclopedia's and grabbed this one from Alida as soon as it came out. The artwork is nice and the size of the deck is a little smaller than most, though I think larger than most Fourniers?? I would have to check my collection. Anyhow, nice deck, good for reading, excellent for collection, great playing card deck, too! Nice way to get into reading playing cards, IMO. :)

Le Fanu

Just bought this deck and I rather like it. I know what people mean here about the size. Very nice size.

But I have a question (to those of you who have the deck); as soon as I opened the box I noticed that there seems to be quite a discrepancy between the quality of the printing. It looks really apparent to me. Those of you who have this deck; hold the Chariot and Temperance side by side; are they readically different? My Chariot is very dark, and temperance looks like it has the "ideal" hue for the deck. Judgment too. Some other cards are darker than others.

Or is it just my deck? I don´t overall think that Fournier have done a very good job of reproducing this deck. The reproduction of the lines is also slightly fuzzy. But it´s the contrasts in colour which are most apparent.