Tarot Hold'em

jef-Fred

Tarot Hold’em is an activity spread, involving a group of people. Although each person can ask for insight on whatever situation they wish, Tarot Hold’em is especially effective when the issue is common to all querents, as it will reflect each person’s involvement and influence on the situation and the group as a whole.

The basic form of the spread is similar to Texas Hold’em. Cards are dealt clockwise and the community cards are placed face up in the center of the table in a linear fashion. “Hole cards” are dealt face up, which create a unified group experience in the reading. At the end of each round of dealing (after the burn) the cards in each querent’s hand, including any community cards, are interpreted by the Reader and are integrated into the meaning of the hand.

The social nature of the spread encourages dialogue, brainstorming and feedback. As a classroom exercise Tarot Hold’em is excellent for demonstrating how the meanings of cards are refined by their relationship to other cards. The spread also works well in a business/teamwork environment as Tarot Hold’em can illustrate the group dynamic as well as give insight on individual growth and development.

1. The Deal - All querents are dealt two “hole cards”. Personal situation or strengths and abilities brought to the situation.

2. The Burn- Dealer “burns” a card by placing it face down in a separate pile.

3. The Flop- Three community cards are dealt face up in the center of the table. Current general, group situation.

4. Second Burn- Another card is dealt face down to the burn pile.

5. The Turn- A community card is dealt. Turning point-opportunity presented to group that will affect querent.

6. Third Burn- A final face down card is added to burn pile.

7. The River- The last community card is dealt. A final opportunity or outcome. Actions necessary to achieve goal.

8. The Reveal- Turn the three burn cards face up. The Road Not Taken- missed opportunities, hidden factors or outside influences. Ideas, concepts, or attitudes which need to be dropped.

When reading the cards any actual poker hands that arise (i.e. pair, straight, full house) are considered to be well dignified; they deserve special attention and consideration.

Sinduction

Now that is a neat idea! :D

Aurelious

It may be a while before I can use this effectively, but damn if it isn't neat, well thought-out and appeals to my growing Poker side. Excellent!

lilangel09

I used a variant of this. :D Maybe it's a bit convoluted.

I dealt 3 cards for the flop. Two cards for the sitter (4+5) and two cards for the Universe (6+7).

4+ 5 are usually the present or the sitter's current "lot" in life
6+7 are what the Universe has on offer.

1*2*3

4*5 6*7

I interpret 4+5, 4+5+1, 4+5+1+2, 4+5+1+2+3. I determine how good the hand looks feel-wise and poker-hand-wise.
Then I interpret 6+7, then 6+7 with the flop as a whole. I determine a "winner" based on who has the better looking hand based on feels and poker hands.

Afterwards, I read the entire flop compared to each hand [(4+5) and (6+7)], and decide whether I want to stay where I am or take up the Universe's offer.