Tarot Magic - choosing cards for healing

Farzon

I'm still unsure of this would rather belong on the UTC board...

So, I'm wondering about which cards to choose to help healing a simple illness. For better understanding: I choose cards to meditate over, no candles or rituals. Everything will simply take place in my "mind palace". (I could perform rituals there as well, if someone likes to share any)

At first I thought about altering my combination for physical strength, but that seems to fall short here. Even the slightest cold effects body and mind. So here are my thoughts:

First card, the higher principle behind the spell:

focusing on the physical aspect of healing, Strength came to my mind. But then, I thought the Star might be more apt for the task, since it is the traditional card of healing. On the other hand, the Star is much more abstract than the idea of Strength, with even the latter unifying the ideas of physical strength and fortitude.

Second card, the place where the spell should take place:

I could choose the Ace of Pentacles as card symbolizing the human body, as I would in my usual combination for physical strength. Thinking about healing in a more holistic way, my personal significator also seems to be a good idea.

Third card, the desired effect of the spell:

Now I'm a bit lost on this one. I have seen the Four Of Swords considered as a card of healing, but isn't it more a card of rest from troubles after they're over? Seven of Pentacles as card of slow and unsatisfactory progress and growth also came to my mind. But then again, it is indeed a quite negative card. I tried to think about a more positive or active card for healing, but these two seem to be the only ones I can come up with.

I'm thankful for any input or experiences here. Completely different methods or combinations are also very much appreciated! [emoji2]

Zephyros

Moderator Note:

I've indexed this thread in the Threads on Magick and Rituals at the top of the Talking Tarot forum.

Falcor

For the first card, have you thought about the Magician? He has all the elements in his dispose, a very powerful card to use. Or maybe the Sun?

Why not to take 2, 3 or 6 of cups for the last card if we speak about holistic ways? I see those cards as positive emotions/energies which can speed up the healing. After all soul and mind are affecting each other's state and the body if to put it in a simple way.

Farzon

For the first card, have you thought about the Magician? He has all the elements in his dispose, a very powerful card to use. Or maybe the Sun?

Why not to take 2, 3 or 6 of cups for the last card if we speak about holistic ways? I see those cards as positive emotions/energies which can speed up the healing. After all soul and mind are affecting each other's state and the body if to put it in a simple way.

The Magician? I think this card would be much too ambiguous... I would prefer a major that evokes the idea of healing - hence my choice of Strength or the Star. I see the Magician as a card of power and control but I don't think that an illness is only a lack of power. I very much like your idea of the Sun! It's not as mysterious as the Star, more direct, more simple joy. I can definetly see it's energy influencing healing in a positive way.

Six of cups is an interesting idea! Would align with the sun beautifully, strengthening the idea of healing as something positive and joyful.
I already thought about the Three of Cups, but it's too much of a social card in my eyes. Even more so the Two.

Thinking more closely about the 3/C, it could be a nice card here after all. Especially when taking into account the meaning of abundance.

Falcor

The Magician? I think this card would be much too ambiguous... I would prefer a major that evokes the idea of healing - hence my choice of Strength or the Star. I see the Magician as a card of power and control but I don't think that an illness is only a lack of power. I very much like your idea of the Sun! It's not as mysterious as the Star, more direct, more simple joy. I can definetly see it's energy influencing healing in a positive way.

Six of cups is an interesting idea! Would align with the sun beautifully, strengthening the idea of healing as something positive and joyful.
I already thought about the Three of Cups, but it's too much of a social card in my eyes. Even more so the Two.

Thinking more closely about the 3/C, it could be a nice card here after all. Especially when taking into account the meaning of abundance.
Glad I could help. Please tell me how it goes.

Tanga

(thanks Zephyros :) )

That's interesting Farzon...

I would likely have the cards in reverse to you...(and with ritual I may or may not stick to
meanings, because imagery is more powerful for me, so I play more with the imagery according to the deck I've chosen) so:

1) The desired effect of the spell is healing to health.
4 of Swords for me can be recuperation and repair - particularly in The Gendron Tarot, where the convalescent is depicted as a lady apparently resting after having "a strengthening walk outdoors".
Or - I could have The Empress from The Tarot of the Night - for instance, because here - she is depicted bringing someone back to life...an exceptionally powerful kind of healing. Lol. :) ;)

(I'm not at home right now, so I can't look through my ritual decks for more possible options).

2) The place the spell takes place is within the body of the person.
I would use a Significator of some sort. For myself - the Tarot card itself would depend on which one I decide fits the bill at that specific time, and again, which deck it's from. (I don't really have a "fixed" significator that I stick to).
More likely I'll choose a photograph or object, that in my minds eye, reminds me of me - or the other person who's the target. This is my usual practice for ritualistic healing.

3) The higher principle behind the spell - Wellness and freedom on all planes.
The Sun (freedom, joy and energy)
The World (all things within reach and at optimum)
Temperance (the perfect balance).

I might get more specific with specific health issues - for example back pain:

1) 10 of Swords Reversed (i.e. no more back pain) with Ace of Swords crossing it to represent assisted removal of the health obstacle (therapist, doctor).

2) Significator

3) Strength a return to full strength.

:) :)

Farzon

I've indexed this thread in the Threads on Magick and Rituals at the top of the Talking Tarot forum.
Thank you! Should we report starting a thread on Tarot Magick to you?

(thanks Zephyros :) )

That's interesting Farzon...

I would likely have the cards in reverse to you...(and with ritual I may or may not stick to
meanings, because imagery is more powerful for me, so I play more with the imagery according to the deck I've chosen) so:

1) The desired effect of the spell is healing to health.
4 of Swords for me can be recuperation and repair - particularly in The Gendron Tarot, where the convalescent is depicted as a lady apparently resting after having "a strengthening walk outdoors".
Or - I could have The Empress from The Tarot of the Night - for instance, because here - she is depicted bringing someone back to life...an exceptionally powerful kind of healing. Lol. :) ;)

(I'm not at home right now, so I can't look through my ritual decks for more possible options).

2) The place the spell takes place is within the body of the person.
I would use a Significator of some sort. For myself - the Tarot card itself would depend on which one I decide fits the bill at that specific time, and again, which deck it's from. (I don't really have a "fixed" significator that I stick to).
More likely I'll choose a photograph or object, that in my minds eye, reminds me of me - or the other person who's the target. This is my usual practice for ritualistic healing.

3) The higher principle behind the spell - Wellness and freedom on all planes.
The Sun (freedom, joy and energy)
The Word (all things within reach and at optimum)
Temperance (the perfect balance).

I might get more specific with specific health issues - for example back pain:

1) 10 of Swords Reversed (i.e. no more back pain) with Ace of Swords crossing it to represent assisted removal of the health obstacle (therapist, doctor).

2) Significator

3) Strength a return to full strength.

:) :)

Sorry that I answer that late.

I find your take to choose different cards for different ailments very helpful! Also, I didn't consider to reverse the order - in the case of healing this would be just logical I think, very much like a diagnosis.

So, this time, I ended up choosing the following:

The "place" of the spell: Four of Swords crossed by my significator. The Four of Swords seemed much more apt to describe the state of lying down south a cold than actually getting better.

The higher principle of healing: Strength. I tried to visualize different majors here and felt even at ease with The Sun or The Empress - however, I wasn't able to get the idea of physical strength of of my head, so I stuck with Strength. This might be a more subjective decision than a really logical one.
The profane principle of healing: Three of Cups. I found that the happiness and abundance expressed here describes the feelings after an illness just perfectly.

Thanks for the help, everyone! It worked out well, btw. I don't want to choke the discussion here - if anyone has more ideas on the topic!

Zephyros

Thank you! Should we report starting a thread on Tarot Magick to you?

If you want, it's always helpful. But since there aren't very many and Alta and I read all the threads anyway it isn't really a big deal. Worst case scenario the thread will be moved depending on its subject matter.

Thanks for asking, though. :)