Tarot = Manual Of The Sanities

Rosanne

I have been searching for threads on why people think Tarot works or how it works- both as a predictive and a proactive tool. Maybe I am blind but I cannot find a discussion. So I thought I would start a thread and give my theory, or what I believe regarding the 'working' of Tarot.

Hope (optimism, future-mindedness, future orientation): Expecting the best in the future and working to achieve it.

If one was to look at the world belief systems you find some common denominators (Judean/Christian/Buddhist/Muslim/Polytheist etc etc)
They are generally referred to to as Character Strengths and Virtues. There are some 24 of these divided under six broad headings.
Wisdom and Knowledge
Transcendence
Temperance
Justice
Humanity
Courage

We in the West are more used to the Judean Christian take and is explained in the opening words of the the Book of Proverbs from the Bible.

...That Men may know Wisdom and Instruction, understand the words of insight, receive instruction in Wise Dealing, Righteousness, Justice and Equity;
That Prudence may be given to the simple, Knowledge and Discretion to the youth.
The wise man also may hear and increase in learning, and the Man of Understanding acquire skill, to understand a proverb and a figure- the words of the Wise and their riddles.

If you were to divide Tarot into sections under these Strengths, you would find that Wisdom/Knowledge/Transcendence are the Majors (broadly speaking)
and that Courage is Wands/Batons, Humanity is Coins, Justice is Swords and Temperance is Cups. Of course the 24 Strengths and Virtues can be found dispersed throughout the 78 cards.

Now these things are just positive labels and although affirming- the power of them requires an action. This is where Tarot engages us in the world -in the action stage. Without this action- when we read Tarot it is just describing images. We must make a tangible contribution to our future. The label stage is just theory.

When you lay a draw of Tarot down to read- you are focusing on a progressive success sequence. You are not reading a sequence of failures and mistakes (which would only show you the character of failure) you are reading or studying success. No matter what amount of cards you draw or what the cards are- they can be seen as a sequence of Strengths and Virtues in action to answer a question. You have to do the action.

Now if you Fortune tell and do see the future- you are recording in words what actions were taken (the results) even though you may not have seen the sequence. So you are most successful if you can see the possibility of results from the actions you are suggesting when reading for someone. That is why we could all answer a question with different cards and they would all be successful- because you are directing a person to put into practice their Strengths and Virtues. We amplify these Strengths and Virtues rather than try to fix weaknesses, through the cards.

That is what I think- how about you????

~Rosanne

Rosanne

No Takers? Know one has their own personal view as to why Tarot works?
I realise my point of view might be called Image programming or bordering on NLP- but I am willing to learn from others and as always, not set in concrete as to my views.
It would seem to me, that here at least(A Tarot Forum) some ideas have been formed as to why it works. I know many say "I don't know why Tarot works- but it just does" but surely there are some ideas out there.
~Rosanne

Curious

Rosanne said:
No Takers? Know one has their own personal view as to why Tarot works?
I realise my point of view might be called Image programming or bordering on NLP- but I am willing to learn from others and as always, not set in concrete as to my views.
It would seem to me, that here at least(A Tarot Forum) some ideas have been formed as to why it works. I know many say "I don't know why Tarot works- but it just does" but surely there are some ideas out there.
~Rosanne

I hope others will chime in because I am very interested in this thread. My explanation for why Tarot works is very simplistic and not very satisfying to me. I feel that I read into the cards what I know in my heart is going on.

Rosanne

Curious said:
My explanation for why Tarot works is very simplistic and not very satisfying to me. I feel that I read into the cards what I know in my heart is going on.
That is valid Curious! Most of us would come to this I feel. I wonder how our heart knows? What is it that our eyes see in the images- that sends a message- must it be positive? I have met really cranky Fortune Tellers with Tarot whose heart seems to be of stone or bitter wormwood.
Anyway I would , like you to hear other views.
~Rosanne

thorhammer

I read your post shortly after you put it up, Rosanne. It did get me thinking, and yes, I do have my theories of why or how Tarot works, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to phrase it so that it addresses your own post.

But I am thinking of it :) and trying.

\m/ Kat

Egypt Urnash

My general feeling is that Tarot is a way to tell stories to yourself.

Stories shape who we are, who we've been, and what we can do. Stories can bind you down ("I'm just a useless little thing and all the abuse people heap on me is perfectly normal"); stories can be a path to power ("I am skilled and will be a success in my chosen field").

By using a random input device like a Tarot deck, we make ourselves tell stories we normally would not. We patch together stories out of our hopes, out of the things we don't normally dare say out loud, out of the little hints picked up off of the querent, out of whatever senses beyond the traditional five we bring to bear.

Perhaps some paranatural force moves the cards as you shuffle, makes one card feel Right for the cut, makes just the right card leap out of the deck when it's fumbled. Perhaps not.

Most of the "magical" techniques I know of really seem to come down to telling a story so well that you believe it, others believe it, and the universe believes it. Tarot is a way to piece together a story that reinforces itself with your choice of all the potential readings of each card.

A card feels like the middle of a story. It's got characters, it's got set dressing, it's got an action. Who's doing what and why is left to the viewer. Context is created by arranging the cards, and the real action happens in the space between, as you try to tie them together with words. How do you fit into this story?

A Tarot reading is a seed crystal for a story to grow around.