tarot, money, and ethics

moon

I'm sure you've already had this discussion here, but oh well, here it goes.

What are your feelings about accepting money for readings?

I have a friend who reads tarot cards, and he's really a bit too superstitious for my taste...insists that you shouldn't buy a deck for yourself, etc. He also gave me a big lecture about how you simply CANNOT accept payment for tarot readings because when you read for someone, you take a piece of them with you and that is payment enough. He went on and on and on and on...didn't really convince me though. He also babbled about how only Gypsies are allowed to accept payment, and when he looked at my Thoth deck (with dirty hands, I might add..he got some crud on them which REALLY pissed me off), he said it was ugly and totally lacking in symbolism.

hrmph!

I honestly don't see any problem with receiving payment for services rendered, but perhaps there is a different set of rules when dealing with occult services :)

Anyway, your thoughts/opinions/insights would be greatly appreciated.

Isis bless,
Jess

nexyjo

far be it for me to judge someone else, but frankly, your friend is an idiot.
luv and light,
nexy

tarotbear

In the spirit of Nexy's comment:

Tell your friend his village just called...they're looking for him.

bec

I believe there?s an english word for such a person ;D A jerk !!!
Not that he can?t have his own oppinions - that right belongs to anyone - but put dirt on your cards !!!!! FYU !!!

About payment: I can?t remember who gave this advise in the thread "first party" - but payment do make it more serious - readings for free are cheap and easy to make fun of (you know) I think it makes the reader somewhat more reliable when payed for a reading.

Just my 2-krone :)

marichan

Quote:

What are your feelings about accepting money for readings?

(he) insists that you shouldn't buy a deck for yourself

you simply CANNOT accept payment for tarot readings because when you read for someone, you take a piece of them with you and that is payment enough.

only Gypsies are allowed to accept payment

When my tarot skills are up to par with reading for others, I'll have no problem accepting donations or payment for any readings that I do. It's a talent/skill like any other, why shouldn't someone accept money for it? Do singers/musicians live solely on the "joy and happiness" their songs bring? Not likely.

(Note: payment for readings = ok; charging $3.99 a minute for readings really, REALLY borders on the unethical IMHO)

Just because you take money for something doesn't make it dirty and doesn't mean that you're not in earnest about it. Like any other talent, it can be called upon for making a living. If you can afford or choose to do it for free, wonderful. If you need it to help you get by, then that's just the barter and trade of life: person A interprets the spread to help person B, person B gives money to A, so that person A can pay the rent and eat.

As for waiting for someone else to buy you a deck... at that rate, some people may never get started. Besides, while a tarot deck is always a lovely gift, it's never certain that the deck someone else chooses for you, will speak to you. Cherish a deck that someone gives you, but don't hesitate to find that "special one" on your own.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.... Only gypsies can accept payment? Yeah, and once upon a time, only men could vote... >( >( >(

A difference of opinion I could respect, but to belittle your opinion AND get dirt all over your cards ... >( :-( :-o :-( >( WHY do you even consider this person a friend?

-Mari
who doesn't think she'd like your friend (and she uses the term loosely) even a tiny-bit

Lee
09 Nov 2001

There are no rules.

-- Lee

cj
09 Nov 2001

Jess,

I'm sorry you have people like that in your life....

IF I had to rely on anyone else to buy my decks, I wouldn't have any. And as far as accepting payment. If you know your are on the mark with your readings, there is no reason not to accept payment.

Best wishes,

cj

catlin
12 Nov 2001

Hi,

I feel pretty sorry for your friend and his opinion.

Ok, when I started doing readings I remember about this "rule" that the ability of tarot reading is a gift and you should not accept money for a gift but then I came across the passage in one of Rachel Pollack's books which said that in former times it was okay when a shaman, priest(ess) or else received no payment for their work because they were supported by the whole tribe but today it is ok to receive payment for your service because a free service is often considered as "worthless" , just because it is free.

Besides, just think of the costs which come with being up to date: buying new books about tarot, some new decks, etc. I think, these are good justified reasons for accepting money for a reading.

When I get money for a reading, I put a share of it in a saving box to make a donation to an animal shelter or else to return the gift for reading to the Goddess.

Kiama
12 Nov 2001

Well, I wish I was as lucky as you guys to have had the experience of receieving money for readings... As of yet, I haven't the heart to ask the people I do 'proper' readings for for money. (These people are the friends that only phone me up when they want a free Tarot reading...)

But in my personal opinion, learning and studying the Tarot to the degree that you can read effectively for otehrs is like going to college or university. It takes time, effort, sweat, blood, tears, and money. It is not a gift for most people either, it is an acquired skill that has been perfected over many, many years.

Therefore, in my opinion, I do not have any qulams about accepting money for a reading I give somebody. It's just asking them for the money that's troubling me.

Kiama

The tarot, money, and ethics thread was originally posted on 09 Nov 2001 in the Talking Tarot board, and is now archived in the Forum Library. Read the threads in Talking Tarot, or read more archived threads.

Lee

There are no rules.

-- Lee

cj

Jess,

I'm sorry you have people like that in your life....

IF I had to rely on anyone else to buy my decks, I wouldn't have any. And as far as accepting payment. If you know your are on the mark with your readings, there is no reason not to accept payment.

Best wishes,

cj

catlin

Hi,

I feel pretty sorry for your friend and his opinion.

Ok, when I started doing readings I remember about this "rule" that the ability of tarot reading is a gift and you should not accept money for a gift but then I came across the passage in one of Rachel Pollack's books which said that in former times it was okay when a shaman, priest(ess) or else received no payment for their work because they were supported by the whole tribe but today it is ok to receive payment for your service because a free service is often considered as "worthless" , just because it is free.

Besides, just think of the costs which come with being up to date: buying new books about tarot, some new decks, etc. I think, these are good justified reasons for accepting money for a reading.

When I get money for a reading, I put a share of it in a saving box to make a donation to an animal shelter or else to return the gift for reading to the Goddess.

Kiama

Well, I wish I was as lucky as you guys to have had the experience of receieving money for readings... As of yet, I haven't the heart to ask the people I do 'proper' readings for for money. (These people are the friends that only phone me up when they want a free Tarot reading...)

But in my personal opinion, learning and studying the Tarot to the degree that you can read effectively for otehrs is like going to college or university. It takes time, effort, sweat, blood, tears, and money. It is not a gift for most people either, it is an acquired skill that has been perfected over many, many years.

Therefore, in my opinion, I do not have any qulams about accepting money for a reading I give somebody. It's just asking them for the money that's troubling me.

Kiama