Tarot On Tape by Dean Montalbano

Lee

Here is the author's website:

http://www.hypnodean.com/Welcome.htm

I would be very cautious here. 85 bucks is a lot of money. From his website, he seems to be making a career out of creating tape sets for all sorts of subjects from hypnosis to male impotence to seasonal affective depression. I would question how much expertise he has on tarot if tarot is just one of a series of tape sets. Of course, it's possible that it's a great tape set, but it's hard to tell and it's really a risk to spend that much on something where you just have to trust that it will be good. Maybe write him an e-mail and ask if there's any satisfied customers that you can ask about what they thought? Or ask him to describe his approach a bit more for you?

-- Lee

Jen

Thanks Lee,
I won't be ordering them. His website is a bit cheesy and he doesn't seem to have a solid background in tarot. Too bad, I really wish they'd put some tarot books on tape or CD.

Emily

Hi Jen,

Maybe you could try transfering some of your thoughts/edits or even straight from a tarot book onto tape. I've just started to do this from 'Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom'. I read from the book,also adding my own thoughts onto the tape and listen to it later, either when relaxing or just through the day.
Its amazing how much information actually stays with you, I know its not written down but the tapes can be kept and replayed over again then taped over. I use a small recorder with the little tapes. :)

Jen

Thanks Emily,
That's a good idea. I've considered it before but it seems like a lot of work. I would love to have 78 Degrees in audio form. Maybe I'll make it a long term project. Do you ever listen to the tapes while you sleep? I like to do that when I'm really into studying something. Although I always wake up with my headphones and cassette laying all over the bed. :)

Emily

Hi Jen,

I have listened to them while lying in bed, but usually its when I'm in the kitchen or sitting looking at my cards. I was getting on well recording the tapes then a couple of days after starting them I lost my voice lol. So the tapes I have have been replayed over and over again. Luckily my voice is nearly back now so I won't have to drive myself mad listening to me saying the same things over :D

lionrhod

I was quite amused to come across this post about my good friend Dean Montalbano.

Dean and I both work as psychics at a local cafe and he has worked as a psychic and metaphysician for at least 2 decades. He is the psychic that I go to when I don't feel objective enough on a situation to read it for myself.

He's also a fantastic teacher. I haven't yet heard his Tarot tape, however I've had the pleasure of taking is Ogham class among others, and he teaches with wit, humor and a deep understanding of the subject. I also have talked to him about his live Tarot classes, and have the workbook from it. I know that the information in his tape is drawn from the live classes, so I expect you'll learn a lot from the tape and have FUN doing it.

By the way, I don't know what the rules are when you buy thru Amazon, but I know that if you purchase the set from his website he has a 60 day money back guarantee.

You can also visit his psychic site at http://www.psychichourglass.com

Regarding his hypnosis site, he is a "licensed ethical hypnotist" (a very challenging license to get, with the emphasis on ETHICAL) and yes, he specializes in creating tapes to help people make changes in thier lives for those people he can't see in person. It may look like a bunch of diverse subjects (seasonal depression, weight loss, impotence, etc) however they all fall into the realm of what a hypnotist is asked to do for his clients. I've used a couple of his tapes, but even better I've had live hypnosis sessions with Dean, and he's helped me to make some profound changes.

In case you're wondering who the heck I am and what good my opinion is, I've worked as a metaphysician and psychic since I was about 15 (that's about 25 years) and you are welcome to learn more about me via http://www.tween-the-shadows.com

:)

Lion

Lee

Hi lionhrod, welcome to Aeclectic! Thanks very much for the info about Dean's other site, it's very helpful and informative about his approach.

For anyone who wants to know more about Dean's approach, go to the psychichourglass.com site which lionhrod links to above, click on "Articles," then scroll down and click on "Tarot Archives." There you will find many excerpts from his tape set which will give a very good overview of Dean's approach.

On the plus side, his approach seems very well-laid-out, thorough, and conscientious. He has a specific system and style of reading and sincerely wants to impart it to the student. It does seem like a valid system. I also like the way he encourages students to stick with his meanings for the length of the course but to eventually develop their own. And I like his discussion of ethics, including the injunction to "do no harm."

However, it's important for prospective purchasers to understand that in some ways Dean's approach is a very individualistic one. That's not a bad thing necessarily, but just be aware that it doesn't always conform with the "standard" approach that you'll find in such books as Mary Greer's or Rachel Pollack's, or Thirteen's Basics here on Aeclectic.

Dean suggests you use any deck that appeals but particularly recommends the Rider-Waite; however, he himself uses the Mythic Tarot. In defining the suits, he basically assigns Swords to Fire (jobs, endeavors) and Wands to Air (mental activities), for the Ace through 10 cards. But for the Court cards, specifically referencing the Mythic Tarot, he switches it to Swords=Air and Wands=Fire. He identifies the Knights with crossroads, and the Page, Queen and King as specific zodiac signs (by the way, this is contrary to how the Mythic Tarot authors themselves do it; they assign the Knights, Queens and Kings to specific signs).

Dean provides a good numerological approach to the Ace through 10 cards, but there are times when this approach results in meanings which don't match the Rider-Waite images. Sometimes he discusses how the numerological meaning relates to the image, and sometimes he doesn't, as when he discusses the 3 of Swords meaning of expressing your work, ultimatums, sticking up for yourself, but doesn't explain how we can reconcile this with the image of a heart with three swords stuck into it. (Now, I'm going from the excerpts on the site, maybe he does discuss this on the tape set.)

For the Majors, again, the interpretations are very individual to him. Again, that's not necessarily bad, as long as a person buying the tape set understands that these interpretations are not the "standard" ones, to the extent that there is a standard. For instance, the High Priestess is defined as a deceptive feminine energy or our own inner game-playing. He developed this interpretation from the story of the mythical Pope Joan, a woman who masqueraded as a man to become Pope. It's an interesting interpretation for the HP, and perhaps a valid one, but not in step with the way most authors these days interpret this card. Again, this isn't a criticism, just something to be aware of.

I *do* have a criticism about his discussion of tarot history, which is basically a rehash of the silly faux-Egyptian-tarot-history stuff one used to read in tarot books 30 years ago. And I was somewhat taken aback to see that he is under the misapprension that A.E. Waite was the artist for his deck (Pamela Colman-Smith was the artist, as it states right on the box). And he states some things with a little too much authority for my taste, such as the "correct" pronunciation of "tarot," or that the Rider-Waite deck has the symbolism that was "originally intended" to be there.

But as long as one takes Dean's tarot history with a grain of salt, I do think, from reading the excerpts on the site, that this could be a good learning tool. There are certainly tarot authors, after all, who don't fit the "standard" mold and have their own individualized takes on the cards. I'd encourage anyone considering buying the tape set to visit the site and read all the excerpts which Dean has generously posted there.

-- Lee

jmd

Indeed welcome to Aeclectic, lionrhod.

As so often happens when someone is being discussed, and we just don't have the information, contacting the author is helpful.

I therefore contacting Dean, and asked him about what the contents of his tapes might be, and which approach he uses, providing a link to this thread.

I presume lionrhod has shared in this query with Dean, and wonderfully responded with the appropriate links and personal experience.

As usual, Lee has a great knack at providing a succinct and important review of the material at hand. As mentioned in both his comments and on the site linked above, the RWCS is suggested.

For the pips, though he uses a numerological system, and an elemental attribution, it is more than he just (quite legitimately and rightfully) outlines his own system.

What I do not agree with is his comment to 'stick to his system, one can always change later if one disagrees' [obviously here paraphrased].

As he would know as a hypnotherapist, once one has made specific associations, and a particular system is worked with and deemed accurate, it becomes extremely difficult to open oneself to possible other ways of working. Hence why I personally think it is important to work with the elements, with numerology, and with yet other systems (whether Kabalistic or astrological) independently at first, and to also work with a deck which does NOT scenically depict its pips. As one develops various possible attributions, one then begins to see how they may be applied to various cards, and why one does so.

In this perspective, I run pedagogically counter the views of the GD and many others: investigate each area, without assuming one is 'the correct' one, or the only one to use; use multiple possible allocations - including, with different authors, Swords being allocated to Fire, to Air, to Water, and to Earth (yes, each has been so allocated within various books, decks, or traditions).

Dean also mentions that the Fool is at times numbered one. I presume this is a typographical error, and should read 'twenty-one' (it preceded the comment that the World is variously numbered twenty-one or twenty-two).

Overall, I personally prefer the visual written approach to the recorded voice - though the spoken voice in a lecture or discussion style is better still. I personally would not use the tapes, even if a beginner.

It is worth pointing out, by the way, and in addition to lionrhod's comment, that Dean mentions in his e.mail that he makes 'about half of [his] living as a professional reader ... in Orlando Florida'.

As an experienced Tarot practitioner, he will thus be describing and talking from experience. As a trained hypnotherapist, he will have his own approach and style. As a person who runs other workshops, he again will have developed his own style.

He also mentions, incidentally, that he grew up in a family in which the usage of the cards was commonplace. Here we at least share one aspect - even if I happen to personally disagree with others...

The tapes are bound to suit some individuals. I just personally wish he would not fix either the numerology or the suit-elemental allocations for the beginner, who may be better served by seeing how each suit may reflect each element...

... as to the order of the Major Arcana, I won't comment here :)

hypnodean

The Book

A note... for those who were kind enough to contact me off the list with comments, and ideas... I just thought I would say thank you. The text version of this audio set will be out soon, and so I am not putting an "Ad" up for it per say, I'll just suggest those who might be interested keep an eye out on my web site, and on amazon and borders.

In the mean time, ENJOY!