TAROT & Planetary Ritual: SATURN

ravenest

Huh well I hadn't thought of that... thanks... (The triangle bit - not the burning.
Burning, only if I've especially hand drawn cards for burning. Lol. Never the real deck.
Thought maybe... if I found a cheap second-hand RWS or something at the market...).

In our case I painted the 'tiles' that represented the sephiroth, with appropriate color and the God name on them in Hebrew, at each banishing of the sephiroth, the curse was given ( curse thee that separates us from the one ) , the God name vibrated backwards and then the the card / tile burnt .... until the uttermost Kether, represented by a candle , that is cursed 'as the one' stomped out and all falls into the void.

Here, it seems better to put effort into what one makes for destruction . Ever watched Tibetan monks do the sand picture ritual ... and see what the Lama does to it at the end ?

BURN YOUR BEST DECK I SAY !

;)

Samweiss

I believe planetary hours are also used in electional astrology, a branch of horary. I need to get that "widget."

I use program called ChronosXP. You can download it here: http://chronosxp.sourceforge.net/en/

Which cards when? Could we have examples?

I use the planetary cards from Golden Dawn's system.

Magician = Mercury
High Priestess = Moon
Empress = Venus
Wheel of Fortune = Jupiter
Tower = Mars
Sun = Sun
World = Saturn

Barleywine

I think semantics may have gotten in the way of my perfect understanding of what Tanga is doing here. I always thought that "taking on a god form" (invocation) was a form of self-exaltation, even "intoxication." What Tanga described seemed to be more cerebral than ecstatic; inviting the god into the circle as a kind of benign, benevolent potency that lends its endorsement to the magical proceedings. But of course I know little of Wiccan ritual beyond what I've read and haven't poked my nose into ceremonial magic in a long time; things do evolve. "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

Barleywine

I would paint a planetary Karmea for the front of the central altar ... but the appropriate card could have been used quiet well. I dont know why we never did that - in retrospect.

Regarding Kamea and inscriptions in general, I have a nice little book by Robert Wang titled The Secret Temple that goes into a good deal of practical DIY detail for setting one up. The idea of sorting out which tarot cards could serve as a stand-in for the various sigils is an interesting thought to follow up on (if I ever get back into that sort of thing).

earthair

Decks with very specific Saturn cards

Tanga- thank you for a very interesting insight into what you do. :livelong:

I think I remember you saying you have Book of Shadows as Above? What do you think about using the Saturn card / 6 Fire?

ravenest

Regarding Kamea and inscriptions in general, I have a nice little book by Robert Wang titled The Secret Temple that goes into a good deal of practical DIY detail for setting one up. The idea of sorting out which tarot cards could serve as a stand-in for the various sigils is an interesting thought to follow up on (if I ever get back into that sort of thing).

The beauty of it is ... after some study and 'field experience' one can do it oneself with out such books . Crowley stated that after a while one will be able to walk into the temple and just know when something is wrong. . . . when a mistake is made or a correspondence out .

Its true, I have felt that ... and then detected the problem after examination . Books and others systems are great training wheels ... but eventually ....

I built my temple from the ground up ... starting from the ground literally, and leveling out with an agblade and a Massey Furguson 154-4 :)

..... actually doing it all, from the temple building, regalia, supplies, temple furniture, ritual construction and performance .... :) .... THAT sorts things out !

Of course, its also all 'in one's own field' .... I find, for example the GD 'flashing colors' scheme rather garish and atonal . One sees this in the cards themselves, where 'artistic license' is bought in as part of the formula.

~ Maybe I will write a book on magick one day .... first, build your temple ;

1. procure a Massey Furguson tractor .... :D

Tanga

...BURN YOUR BEST DECK I SAY ! ;)

What? - you think I'm made of money? :)

I use the planetary cards from Golden Dawn's system.

Magician = Mercury
High Priestess = Moon
Empress = Venus
Wheel of Fortune = Jupiter
Tower = Mars
Sun = Sun
World = Saturn

So do I - thankyou. I meant more specific examples of practice. :)

I think semantics may have gotten in the way of my perfect understanding of what Tanga is doing here. I always thought that "taking on a god form" (invocation) was a form of self-exaltation, even "intoxication." What Tanga described seemed to be more cerebral than ecstatic; inviting the god into the circle as a kind of benign, benevolent potency that lends its endorsement to the magical proceedings. But of course I know little of Wiccan ritual beyond what I've read and haven't poked my nose into ceremonial magic in a long time; things do evolve. "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

Correct, it is semantics. "Invocation" is often used loosely for all forms of "calling" (when your'e not in a ritual group that is more particular :) ).
And if you look it up it's interesting. My understanding is: Invocation = calling in. (either
into the circle with you or, into your body akin to inviting a form of possession. In writing I remember it being suggested that Invocation was for the former and invokation for the latter). Evocation = calling forth (not into the circle or oneself).
Ceremonialist "take on a god form" depending on what they're doing in ritual.
Wiccans "take on the Goddess" in the "Drawing down the moon" ritual within a group.
I have no idea how regularly this is done, but I doubt it's as often as a weekly practice (?).

I am in solitary practice now, so I do not "take on god/goddess forms" as a habit - after all, there's no one else there to help me if this might go wrong. :) :) (watch-out Megalomania!!).

Tanga- thank you for a very interesting insight into what you do. :livelong:

I think I remember you saying you have Book of Shadows as Above? What do you think about using the Saturn card / 6 Fire?

I'll have to look and get back here...
The deck has actually been on my "possibly to swap or sell" list for some-time...
Perhaps I'll change my mind :joke:.

Barleywine

There have been some pretty grim - and grossly distorted - popular conceptions over the years about what "divine possession" can entail: speaking in tongues, howling, foaming at the mouth, etc. I had a great uncle who joined the Pentacostal Church (aka Holy Rollers) in his 80s. When "seized by the Holy Spirit," they commenced to roll on the floor (with all due solemnity). I had a hard time envisioning an 80+ year-old man getting up again :)

ravenest

I wanted to address this too;

" What Tanga described seemed to be more cerebral than ecstatic; inviting the god into the circle as a kind of benign, benevolent potency that lends its endorsement to the magical proceedings. "

Taking the point that Tanga cleared up the differences ... there are further differences in this approach ... it can be 'ecstatic' or 'cerebral' or other methods ... of course a deity will lend itself to a 'flavor' (ecstatic could be Venus and cerebral could be Mercury) , but generally, there are various ways to approach or use the 'technology'

One reason why I think a 'Postcard note for beginners' is helpful ( :) )

Different approaches ; Gnana - Raja - Bhakta - Hatha - Mantra - Karma : Knowledge ( 'cerebral') - Will - Love ( 'ecstatic' ) - Courage - Speech - 'works' : ( and their failures , or dangers ... Like your great uncle * ) insanity- obsession - fanaticism - paralysis and death - addiction to gossip (or insane babbling ) - incurable idleness

http://hermetic.com/crowley/equinox/i/ii/eqi02016.html

So, the Goddess (as an example) could be 'invoked' by ; Gaining knowledge of her, reading her mythologies, understanding her function , through an act of Will, through devotion ( like making offerings to her statue or image ), through mantra, by doing works that please her, etc.

IMO this applies to evocation as well , as in the past and mostly all the time, I see the approach with it far to saturnian and martial .... it need not be. To continually call up unknown forces from one's own psyche and bind them and demand they conform to what, much of the time is the magicians ego, and then punish them or eliminate and banish them for non compliance , may not be psychologically healthy . A little love and understanding might not go astray there . . . . IF one is competent in such methods.

They are parts of us after all .... to give them too much validity as a separate entity , or their own 'personality' , one might end up dealing with a 'demon' .

To somehow try and turn this back to tarot cards :) ... the equivalent would be to remove some cards from your deck you felt uneasy about - a thing I have heard suggested on this very forum (by beginners , I assume ) . Of course, the more experienced here advised them to learn more about those cards and how to use them and why there are in the deck ;)

* couldnt help thinking here about your great uncle and his difficulty in getting up :) .... a friend joined the Masons to check out things... they were mostly ancient old men and he caused a kerfuffle being the only young one to join in X amount of years ... very popular. he told me, during his raising, when he was lying on the floor and surrounded by 'advanced members' pointing their swords at him , he saw a bunch of frail old men, dressed up pointing thin swords in wobbly hands .... his first instinct was to jump up and land in front of them spreadeagled and go - YAAAA! - at them }) .... and watch them keel over ... but he didnt .

~ Just as well, as I get older, I have become more of a Daoist shaman hermit ..... and NO ! that is not idleness (its my karma ;) )