Tarot - private or public matter?

VGimlet

I'm pretty public about it. But I live in an area that is fairly okay with it, and at my work I read for co-workers when they ask (on break, of course). Pretty much anyone who is friends with me knows I read tarot. I haven't read professionally - but I have read for donations for our dog club. I generally don't charge because I want to keep it a hobby, and not a profession.

I think part of it is having used cards for so long my view of them is just something I do (like reading a lot) and I find myself a bit surprised when people don't like it. However, I don't make a big deal out if it either.

I will say sometimes people are surprised, because I am a very logical, matter-of-fact person. But I don't see tarot conflicting with that, myself. :p

Citrin

Citrin, I'm also from Scandinavia even though I live in Australia so I can definitely relate to your feelings about very secular, rational society where no one's into any kind of "hocus pocus" and interest towards esoteric might be seen as not having all your mental faculties with you (whereas I think it's actually the other way around :) )

Yup, the most "hocus pocus" they get is when they knock on wood here lol. I almost wish sometimes people here would think tarot is scary because then at least they'd "believe" in it and not just think everyone who believes in tarot is plain dumb. :p I also agree with you, tarot is complex and deep, definitely not for the dumb ones lol

Brilliance

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and first of all, thank you everyone for being here! You share an incredible wealth of combined knowledge, skills, insight and passion/compassion.

In my 'real' life I don't mingle with other tarotists at all, partly because I don't know any and partly because it's important for my line of work (chief analyst) that I have a reputation of sharp, rational, direct and no-nonsense type (the ultimate Queen of Swords :) ) so I have to be a bit mindful about who to talk to about esoteric subjects like tarot. Finding this forum and a like-minded community has been a wonderful experience and I've pretty much joined every discussion I've found just to be part of this forum! :D It's like finding a foreign country I instantaneously fit in and whose values and customs I realise I've been missing.

My question is: do you others only use tarot privately for yourselves or are you open about it and mingle with other readers in real life too? How have other people in your life taken it when it first came up?

Privately. Btw, I really like you avatar! Sunflower is my fav flower :)

chongjasmine

For me, tarot is a private affair.
Maybe that is due to my lack of confidence to read in a public manner.

nisaba

In my 'real' life I don't mingle with other tarotists at all, partly because I don't know any and partly because it's important for my line of work (chief analyst) that I have a reputation of sharp, rational, direct and no-nonsense type (the ultimate Queen of Swords :) ) so I have to be a bit mindful about who to talk to about esoteric subjects like tarot.

One of the most gobsmackingly awesome readers I know holds a doctorate in physics, works as a computer programmer, is an atheist, and keeps his deck not in a box or a wrap but bare-to-the-elements, held together with a rubber band, sticking out of the back pocket of his jeans.

He is a no-nonsense professional.

So is my doctor, and asks pertinent questions every time she sees me (she has stopped just short of asking me to teach her - it's hanging in the air).

I have repeat clients who are lawyers, accountants, engineers, academics and scientists, as well as less well-educated people.

I really don't think it is a problem.

Finding this forum and a like-minded community has been a wonderful experience and I've pretty much joined every discussion I've found just to be part of this forum! :D It's like finding a foreign country I instantaneously fit in and whose values and customs I realise I've been missing.
<silly grin> I recognise that feeling! I had it too, when I first joined. After a while you calm down - it just becomes "home". Like an old, familiar, woolly jumper that you cannot imagine not wearing.

My question is: do you others only use tarot privately for yourselves or are you open about it and mingle with other readers in real life too? How have other people in your life taken it when it first came up?

I mingle with other readers only when I am reading out of new age shops, or when local ATers get together. Actually, no, some of my friends are readers, only not professional (whatever that means).

If you mention it casually, you might get blank stares from people who don't know the word, you might get a buzz from someone who is pleased to know you are interested, you might get something like my elderly friend Miss E did: "Oh Nisaba, you don't really believe in that, do you?" The friendship has continued unchanged. We have millions of other things to talk about, we always did. In any case, it's never been a problem.

celticnoodle

I am somewhat open with it, however, I do keep silent about this around some people. I use to work in a position that would not accept this either and it would have brought serious consequences my way if it were well known. Many of my co-workers are still friends and would not accept this side of me--so I just do not talk about it with them.

This said, I have a lot of people around me who are also tarot readers and the like. I was raised in a family where it was common practice to read tarot and oracle cards, tea leaves, palms, crystals and most of my family are also psychic-mediums. So with family, it is okay to talk openly about it--(around most of them anyway). I also read professionally, and did so in a store, so as such, I know many other diviners, shamans, and psychics that are also very close friends.

Barleywine

Private by default, not by choice. I live in a rural area where houses are far apart and people generally keep to themselves. I've been a part of small study groups over the years, and even tried starting one of my own, but nothing lasted very long. Most recently I've tried to use Meet-up, but that was a waste of time too. I've reconciled myself to the fact that the dominant spiritual channel in this region is church-centered Christianity, which I have no interest in engaging. It's the main reason I've retreaetd from any kind of public presence. Our families are also far away and not very interested in anything that isn't mundane. When we eventually move, it will be to someplace with a more vibrant alternative spiritual community. Until then, AT is my primary social outlet for all things tarot.

tealily

Use it for myself - of course! :D

Open about it + mingling: Hell no, for very similar reasons as you

How other people take it: Of the few that know, all very supportive and show a lot of interest (yes, I might be a bit paranoid :D)

EmpyreanKnight

I too work in a very left brain discipline, and office politics being what it is, going fully public with this is definitely out of the question. Not now or in the foreseeable future. This would be an unpredictable wildcard in that you don't exactly know how it would affect your personal brand. Not that I'm ashamed of it though, if anybody asks if I'm into Tarot of course I would say yes. But I'd leave it at that and discourage further references to it.

I perform private readings for myself and for family members. Once I'm more adept, I plan to expand to a few select friends, and perhaps even hang out on the Readings forums. I surmise I would eventually transition to being a professional Tarotist, but even then I would definitely still be keeping my day job.

Padma

I read publicly and never hid it, when I was young. In fact I read for one of my government bosses - both at work, and at her home! Once I married a military officer, I tried to push my reading into a dark closet, socially. But...as Zephyros noted on page one of this thread, I don't want to waste time with people who feel uncomfortable with me. And I hate hiding.

I have spent my whole life having people tell me I am too intense, have too much locked up energy, etc etc and quite frankly I am heartily sick of it. I *will* be me, approval or not. If others have a problem with that, whatevs! That includes tarot.

I don't push it on others, certainly, but I most certainly no longer hide it, either. If they want to talk about it, then I am game!