Tarot Reading in whodunnit

nisaba

I like Minette Walters' books. She writes whodunnits which bore me, but they also qualify as deep, thoughtful books, almost <gasp> Literature, which I love.

Reading as I do out of a bookshop, books are always around me. Recently I sidestepped from Minette Walters to Sue Grafton, and her whodunnit called "O is for Outlaw". It is not - and I repeat not - a Tarot book. But I found this:-

"I'm real good." She plucked a card from the deck and held it up, showing me the face. "The Page of Swords. That's you."

Cordia said, "Bel."

"Well, it's true. This is the second time I pulled it. I shuffled the deck and drew it as soon as she stepped in, and then I drew it again."

"Well draw something else. She's not interested."

<stuff edited out>

Cordia said, "Bel will start telling your fortune any minute now. I'm warning you, once she gets on it, it's hard to get her off. Just ignore her. That's what I do. You don't have to worry about hurting her feelings."

"Yes she does," Bel said feebly.

"Are you good at telling fortunes?"

Cordia cut in. "Not especially, but even a blind hog comes across an acorn every now and then." She had taken up her knitting, which she held to the light, her head tilted slightly as the needles tucked in and out. The narrow piece of knitting trailed halfway down her front. "I'm making a knee wrap, in case you're wondering."

<stuff edited out>

<of a cat> "She must like you," Blemira said, turning the cards up as she spoke.

"I'm thrilled."

"Well, would you look at this? The Ten of Wands, reversed." Bel was laying out a reading. She placed the Ten of Wands with the other cards on the table in some mysterious configuration. The card she'd assigned me, the Page of Swords, had now been covered by the Moon.

I freed one hand and cranked Dorothy's tail down, securing it with my right arm as I pointed to the cards.

"What's that one mean?" I thought the Moon might be good, but the sisters exchanged a look that made me think otherwise.

Cordia said, "I told you she'd do this."

"The Moon stands for hidden enemies, dear. Danger, darkness and terror. Not too good."

"No kidding."

She pointed to a card. "The Ten of Wands, reversed, represents obstacles, difficulties and intrigues. And this one, the Hanged Man, represents the best you can hope for."

"She doesn't want to hear that, Bel."

"I do. I can handle it."

"This card crowns you."

"What's that? I'm afraid to ask," I said.

Oh, the Hanged Man is good. He represents wisdom, trials, sacrifice, intuition, divination, prophesy. This is what you want, but it isn't yours at present."

"She's trying to help with my knitting. You might at least leave her be until she finishes."

"I can do both," I said. Though truthfully, Dorothy's presence was making the task difficult. The cat had rotated in my lap and now seemed intent on smelling my breath. She extended her nose daintily. I paused and breathed through my mouth for her. "What's that card?" I asked, while she butted my chin with her head.

"The Knight of Swords, which is placed at your feet. This is your own, what you have to work with. Skill, bravery, capacity, enmity, wrath, war, destruction."

"The wrath part sounds good."

"Not overall," Bel corrected. "Overall, you're screwed. You see this one? This card stands for pain, affliction, tears, sadness, desolation."

"Well, dang."

"Exactly. I'd say you're up poop creek without a roll of TP." Belmira turned up another card.

Dorothy climbed up on my chest, purring. She put her face in mine and we stared at each other. I glanced back at the tarot deck. Even I, believing none of this, could see the trouble I was in. Aside from the Hanged Man, there was a fellow burdened with heavy sticks, yet another fellow face-down on the ground with ten swords protruding from his back. The card for Judgement didn't seem to bode well either, and there was the Nine of Wands, which showed a cranky-looking man clinging to a staff, eight staves in a line behind him. That card was followed by a heart pierce with three swords, rain and clouds above.

<stuff deleted>

Bel said, "Oh dear, this card represents the King of Cops ... reversed again. That's not good."

I looked over with interest. "The King of Cops?"

"I didn't say cops, dear, I said Cups. The King of Cups stands for a dishonest, double-dealing man, roguery, vice, scandal, you name it."
(The King of Cops was interesting - the character's ex-husband was a disgraced cop.)

And later in the book, the heroine revisits the two eccentric landladies, Belmira and Cordia, and their cat Dorothy:
Belmire said, "Oh, my dear!" She'd turned over four cards. The first was the Page of Swords, which I knew now was me. The remaining three cards were the Devil, the Moon, and Death. Well, that was cheering. Bel looked up at me, distressed.

pink daliha

I am a Sue Grafton fan and have read alot of her books. That's the only one with Tarot in it though, and she does find a way to tie it into the wrap up. You will find that a lot of authors manage to tie Tarot reading into their books' plots. Haven't noticed it lately though. Dorothy Gilman wrote a novelette called Kalidiscope (sp?) I got mine off the e-books. That one features a fortune teller/ Clarivoyant. Not bad for a weekend read if you're bored.

nisaba

<grin> Worth thinking about. I loved how Belmira's understanding of the cards, though mostly different from mine, worked in their context. The "King of Cops" in particular.