Tarot (Rider-Waite) Posters?

MarkMcElroy

I'm hoping this post belongs here in Books and Media, and not in Tarot Talk! :)

A friend is looking for poster-size prints of Rider-Waite images, particularly the Nine of Pents and the Empress. She swears she's seen these in stores, but can't remember where.

Does anyone here know of a place that sells these? Any info would be appreciated!

Mark

doreen

Hi All,
I too would be very interested in tracking down these posters.
Doreen.

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Mark,

MarkMcElroy said:
I'm hoping this post belongs here in Books and Media, and not in Tarot Talk! :)

A friend is looking for poster-size prints of Rider-Waite images, particularly the Nine of Pents and the Empress. She swears she's seen these in stores, but can't remember where.

Does anyone here know of a place that sells these? Any info would be appreciated!

Mark

I'm sure I saw something like that somewhere as well... decades ago. Talk about an urban legend! Also, I know that Thoth cards are regularly put out as a calendar - so A3 (European) size...

I don't think *original* Rider Tarot cards would make good poster size, just because of the manner of printing the colors. They would look like poor Lichtensteins. But who knows? Maybe US Games made a calendar or even some posters. Not a bad idea.

I would suggest scanning and printing out your own posters at Kinko's... but I know there are people eager to warn about dubious copyright claims, so why not just scan the b/w line art from Waite's "Key", work on it and color it in a graphics program, and blow it up on poster paper? No copyright issue there (and I'm serious, quit worrying (not you Mark) that somebody will go after you for a private poster... or even a hundred ads for a band or something).

Best regards,

Ross

WyrdRaven

I saw them in the Freep (Free Press Bookstore in L.A; long since closed) in the late Sixties. They were very bright and colorful. I haven't seen them anywhere since then, and I've been keeping an eye out. If you find a source for old posters from that time period, you may be able to locate them. (I think the images were The Sun and The Lovers, but memory is hazy now).

Mabuse

The only time I've seen an RWS poster was from a 70's era horror film I've watched on Hulu where a large poster of The Magician was displayed in the background at someone's house. I don't remember the name of the film though.

Shade

Cafepress and Zazzle have posters of some cards but the Rider Waite ones seem to only be of the entire major arcana... but one could always use a high resolution, public domain image of these cards and create a poster. Is the Rider Waite currently public Domain in the US?

Storm82

I have heard RWS is free to use...

but is that all RWS pictures, or just the black and white (uncolored)?