Tarot Suites

Mr. Sluagh

What are some of your ideas for sets of Tarot suites? I personally like suites that are just basic concepts with no weird metaphors to get in the way, like in the Mage: the Ascension deck. If I was ever to undtake the making of a Tarot deck, I'd probably go with either Ambition, Integrity, Courage and Wisdom (which I originally got from the four houses in Harry Potter, IIRC) or Faith, Passion, Creativity and Genius (which were the result of my musings on the definition of Glamour in the game Changeling: the Dreaming). Come to think of it, the four virtues that were praised in Moulin Rouge (Truth, Beauty, Freedom and Love) might also work, as would the Virtues from the game Exalted (Temperance, Valor, Compassion and Conviction). What are some of your ideas?

rota

All of those quartets sound interesting, and all of them might work as Tarot suits. The question in my mind is: how well do they relate to or reflect the *real* Tarot suits - earth/air/fire/water // pentacles/swords/wands/cups? They really ought to be accurate metaphors for the Four Elements before you can consider your proposed deck a Tarot deck, you know? Otherwise, you're in the Aquarian, misty, less readily navigable realm of Oracle decks...

But don't let me sway you, necessarily! I'd like to hear more about your ideas for the deck before I get all Judgement-al...

(ps: love the screen name 'Mr. Sluagh'. you probably already know that our English word 'slogan' came from the Irish 'sluagh-ghairm', meaning 'battle-cry'!)

Mr. Sluagh

rota said:
All of those quartets sound interesting, and all of them might work as Tarot suits. The question in my mind is: how well do they relate to or reflect the *real* Tarot suits - earth/air/fire/water // pentacles/swords/wands/cups? They really ought to be accurate metaphors for the Four Elements before you can consider your proposed deck a Tarot deck, you know? Otherwise, you're in the Aquarian, misty, less readily navigable realm of Oracle decks...

Hmm... Good point. Let's see:

~Hogwarts Suites~
Ambition=Wands
Courag=Swords
Wisdom=Cups
Integrity=Pentacles

~Glamour Suites~
Passion=Wands
Faith=Swords
Creativity=Cups
Genius=Pentacles

~Exalted Suites~
Conviction=Wands
Valor=Swords
Compassion=Cups
Temperance=Pentacles

~Bohemian Suites~
(These ones are a bit tougher than the others, but I'll give it a shot.)
Freedom=Wands
Love=Swords
Beauty=Cups
Truth=Pentacles

EDIT: Grr! The damned thing wouldn't recognize squigly "equals" signs so I had to replace them with normal ones!:mad: Whatever, just pretend they're squigly.

farstucker

i love the concept of using truth, beauty, freedom and love as suites. i adore moulin rouge! :D i'd much prefer using those than the usual swords, cups, pentacles and wands. i also like the glamour suites.

now, finding out which go exactly where is something i need to figure out. your guess sounds right, but you just never know.

spunch

Mr. Sluagh said:

~Bohemian Suites~
(These ones are a bit tougher than the others, but I'll give it a shot.)
Freedom=Wands
Love=Swords
Beauty=Cups
Truth=Pentacles

That's really interesting. But for me it would be somewhat different:

Love > Cups
Freedom > Swords (I connect the concept of freedom with air)
Truth > Pentacles (truth - down to earth)
Beauty > Wands

Mr. Sluagh

spunch said:
Freedom > Swords (I connect the concept of freedom with air)

Erm... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure that swords are usually associated with Fire and wands with Air.

BoomVoom

sorry Mr. Sluagh

there are a lot of artists who like to interpret the suites their own way but spunch is right.

:SL swords=air (what it slices) (mental activity and justice) (aristocratie)
:CL cups=water (what it holds) (emotions) (chirch)
:OL coins=earth (where the metal is found or the shape) (material property) (bourgoisi)
:WL wands=fire (the only one that can burn) (work and creativity) (the working class)

so i think:
freedom~ :WL wands(even though one thinks air, one could asosiate with art)
love~ :CL cups
beauty~ :OL coins
truth~ :SL swords

what do you think?

BoomVoom

Mimers

Mr. Sluagh said:
Erm... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure that swords are usually associated with Fire and wands with Air.

There are many decks that use this association. Whatever fits best for you. It could go either way.

Artemis Sans

I always thought it would be interesting to use parts of anatomy as the suites, for healing purposes and such. I'd always liked the idea of:

Limbs- those which are used to create and destroy (wands)
Blood- that which flows within us all (emotions, ie. cups)
Eyes- those which see and interpret the real world (pentacles)
Mind- that which is the whole (swords)

Of course, the cards wouldn't be gory, so, the question remains: how can you have these suits and remain within the realm of good taste? Tell me what you think.

(And I'd always been told the swords mean air too)

pan

this entire question begs the answer that your elemental degradation is getting way out of hand.
First, try air fire water and earth.
if you really need to get experimental, go for mud, steam, lava, ether, mind, gravity, electricity, magnetism, and strong/weak force interactions. Wood, metal, bioplasma, you know...
basic elements.

Try if you like ecological niches;
meadows, desserts, plains, forests, jungles, caves, labyrinths....oceans...