Templar Tarot - The Magician

Wendywu

She is lovely – many armed (multi-tasking!) and dancing on a cobra – really dicing with death. The Magician and her many followers are in a grove of trees – twisted, gnarled trees and the ground is dark. Beyond her, seen through the trees, lies cultivated farmland.

She holds the skull of a king – all of us must die, even kings, but equally all of us can learn the Magician’s truths. In this deck skulls often represent heretical thoughts, and we are invited to think about spiritual purity and apparent heresy. The Magician holds the crowned skull and the lotus flower – a symbol of spiritual thought. Her thoughts rest with the spiritual and the struggle of the Path of Return. The only other thing she holds is a feather. I see this as representative of the Feather that Ma’at will use to judge us in the Hall of the Dead, when our time comes.

For me the Magician shows her purity even more plainly by wearing white and having a halo. She is actually trampling on the snake, which is posed to bite her. The Magician dances on, uncaring. She knows that she is quick enough to dodge her way out of trouble at the last moment. Her many hands also indicate a quickness of hand – the Magician at work – the hand quicker than the eye.

This Magician is self-confident and strong enough to believe totally in herself, so much so that she attracts others to believe in her teachings as well. She has followers of many sorts – well dressed, naked, in ragged robes and in furs. This tells me that the Magician has danced through time and her followers are loyal down the years. I can see an old pagan, recognisable by his horns – he follows her path – so do some winged beings who are advanced enough on their Paths to be wearing haloes.

There is a skull in the foreground with feathers protruding from it, and wings on the ground. A winged being has died here and their spirit has taken flight on its own, leaving the wings and skull behind.

There are two worshippers in front of the Magician, completely bowed down in submission. The Magician pays them no attention whatsoever. Don’t worship her – follow her teachings of listening to the apparently heretical, exploring the spiritual and her belief in questioning all she was taught as absolute truth.

I find it interesting how some of her followers appear scared of the Magician – hiding their faces and too scared to take what is offered. Others are so relaxed and accepting of her teachings that they sleep naked in her presence, and on these she smiles benignly.

I see a man dressed in furs holding up a book and pointing at one of the pages. He’s looking out of the card at us looking in. He’s trying to get a message across to us and for me his message is “Look, I hold the book of my life” – but only you can write your book. You will be judged by the contents of your book – your life – follow the Magician and think for yourself.

Heresy and belief – and watch out because the Magician is quick and tricky – you will no sooner think you have your answer than she’ll hand you another question.

And so for me the message of the card is THINK. Don’t blithely accept. Read, question, discuss, research but somehow define your beliefs and then wait for the Magician to question you some more.

DaMuse

The Magician and the Fool

I love your detailed descriptions of both cards! I really enjoy seeing them through other peoples eyes. It is refreshing to remember some of the small details that I tend to overlook now after years of looking at the cards. It is like the monk hearing the bell ring for the first time again. Thank you for your posts!

Wendywu

First off - welcome to the boards :)

Secondly - thank you for commenting - I'd love someone to join me here who also enjoys the Templar, but don't worry if you don't feel like it at the moment ;)

Wendywu

The Magician Revisited

I see this card has the sacrificed God on the Tree - nailed up so that he looks down over the Grove. He seems almost to form part of the Tree and those beneath are utterly heedless of him.

The Magicianis serene below him- aware of him on the Tree but aware too of her own message.

I wonder who's in those green fields? There's farmland like that round my way. It's beautiful. There are hills and valleys shown in the card too - can't see any homes though - they must be just over the horizon.

I think this Magician would pay only fleeting visits to towns - can't see her really fitting in. She's an outsider - different. That's part of her appeal, of course, if you live a humdrum life someone like the Magician would be incredibly exotic and exciting.

And you'd need to keep your admiration of her a secret from your neighbours or you'd be the different one. In olden days, to be different was almost unforgiveable. There's places still like that now. But if you follow the Magician's path there is no way back. You can't stop thinking, questioning and wondering once you've started.

Wendywu

Revisited

Today I focus on the Magician's followers - so many and so varied.

In the foreground are two people dressed in monks' habits, utterly bowed down and grovelling before her. She is not remotely aware of them, which tells me that complete subjugation and slavish mimickry are not what this Magician seeks at all.

One of the two is holding two feathers left behind by the winged being when he departed this earth. Why hold feathers? You can:-

a) Burn them and the filthy smell apparently revives fainting women (according to the Victorians - never tried it myself)
b) hand them to deemed cowards viz World War 1 - a horrible thing to do.
c) he/she could be holding them as a memory of the departed one - he/she is not facing towards the Magician. Before what is he bowing, if not the Magician? Or is he so afraid of the Magician that he can't even turn in her direction?

The other bowed down person is pointing with one index finger - is he pointing at the snake? It appears so - he points directly to the place where the Magician's foot is placed on the snake. What is it about that that is noteworthy?

Next, the sleeping naked people. They are both women - one has her hand resting on the other's head. In reassurance? The age old "go to sleep - I am here" gesture? There's a very small snake slithering towards the sound asleep woman. Will the Magician be quick enough to do anything? Then again, why should she - it's not her responsibility or her fault that this follower fell asleep.

There is a monk like figure sitting near the sleeping, naked women. He covers his eys. Is this so as not to see the nudity, or so as not to see the Magician?

I love the very traditional seer from ages gone by who sits beside the scared-to-see monk. This seer looks like one of those you see in films proclaiming doom at regular intervals. She is holding her hand up as if to say "you mark my words". There is a very odd "something" protruding from her head and curling round to end in a small silvery ball. Rather like a mis-shapen antenna.

Beside her sits the old pagan. He is looking out of the side of the card. I feel as if he is here rather against his will. He doesn't want to follow the Magician, he really, really wants to believe his elders at home, but he can't help himself.

Behind him is an angel, praying. Prettily dressed and very traditional. Now, has the angel come to pray for the Magician or with her? I choose to think it's with her simply because I believe the Magician is right. Others, of course, could feel/see things very differently.

On the other side of the card, and sitting cross legged behind the pointing, bowed-down monk figure is a person who has lost their forearms and hands. He is smiling up at the Magician. I like his hat - it is very like a jester's hat, or a traditional Fool's. He doesn't seem remotely bothered by the loss of his limbs. In fact he looks a darn sight more cheerful than most of the able-bodied people in the grove.

I mean - look at the two ghoul sat behind him. I don't know what their woes are but that poor chap should be an inspiration to all of us.

How judgmental of me. Those two might have terrible stories to tell - yet here they are, following the Magician.

Behind the limbless man is my lovely caveman. He has a full beard, long hair and is dressed in animal skin. And it is he who holds up the book of life to remind me that my book is mine to write. And on its contents I will be judged. And so I understand that cavemen had their wisdom too, and whilst they didn't have technology they had hearts and souls exactly like ours.

Behind him is another angel, her arms spread wide. She is looking down at her feet and I think she is starting to dance, in a very quiet and personal way.

Above them all, nailed to the Tree - forever the Sacrifice - is Christ. No one is paying any apparent attention to him, but I feel that is just a surface disregard and that each and everyone of the people present on the card is aware of the Sacrifice and the part that the sacrificed gods play in our lives, and their meaning for us.

Today for me the card is about judgement. The quick easy judgements that we form of others. All these people in the card have their own story - maybe my caveman says "don't judge a book by its cover" today.

I love that all these different people, with their varied stories and tragedies are here, listening (albeit unwillingly in some cases) to the Magician.

Wendywu

I note, on using a magnifying glass, that the antenna looking thingy appearing to stick out of the old crone's head is in fact the curved top of her walking stick lol :) So prosaic. I much prefer my original thoughts, but there you go.

I blame my absolutely crappy eyesight - (gotta have something to blame - can't possibly be just me seeing it all wrong, can it ...... ;) )