Ten of wands Empress

Silverbells

Hi, I did a personal reading and the ten of wands upright showed up followed by the Empress upright. I was really scrutinizing those two cards together (10 of wands was feelings with the Empress being an action that someone was going to take because of the feelings and other card in the spread).

But look at the Rider-Waite images (I'm a very visual reader for the most part)...you've got a guy loaded down with a large bundle of reeds and he's carrying them in the direction of the Empress (in this case). If you look at the Empress image - in her environment the harvest has already taken place - the yellow wheat or whatever that was there has been harvested. That struck me and I was wondering if that could mean someone bringing their harvested burden of feelings to the Empress?
Her harvest has already taken place though and whatever has been done with the materials therein has been taken care of in whatever way and now this guy in the 10 is bringing her more...what do you guys think?

Laurelle

The Empress is the type that loves to nurture and take care of things. The ten of wands might be saying that someone feels like they want to "carry" you up. Or emotionally nurture all your problems away. I see this as a good combination.

Silverbells

Thanks Laurelle, I thought it was a nice-feeling combination too and was seeing what you saw in those two cards. Then I was thinking about the whole concept of "things coming in the right season" etc. and this guy with his harvest is bringing it to the Empress who has already performed the right action in the right time kind of thing (though I have some philosophical issues with that particular perspective). That is what made me start to feel a little itchy about this. If that is indeed the case then the guy in the 10 of wands becomes a disruptive force because he's out of timing, maybe? Surplus to requirements?

Amanda

Feelings: 10 of Wands
Action: Empress

What kind of feelings do you think that guy in the 10 is experiencing? Are his feelings heavy? Is he frustrated or stressed because something so close seems so far away? Maybe he's feeling prepared to make changes or start fresh in his life...

It's hard to say without context. The Empress could be a strong female figure that influences things here. She could suggest what you said about things happening naturally in their own good time; indicating for now a continued period of gestation. Maybe since you noticed the 'harvest' going on in the Empress, that is relevant for timing as to when you might see significant developments for action.

Just some thoughts..

Laurelle

The Empress seems like the type of action that would enjoy harvesting more wheat. She would say, "Oh lovely. More grains, more riches." And then she goes about languidly preparing more delicious breads.

phacad19189

Hi people!

I just want to point out that the empress can also be viewed as the source of the problem too. It might be that someone is giving too much care and concern to another person and might be seen as naggy and too much to bear, consistent with 10 of wands feeling of fatigue and "handling too much".

PH

Silverbells

Feelings: 10 of Wands
Action: Empress

What kind of feelings do you think that guy in the 10 is experiencing? Are his feelings heavy? Is he frustrated or stressed because something so close seems so far away? Maybe he's feeling prepared to make changes or start fresh in his life...

I looked at him again to see what I saw about his feelings. That was a great suggestion :) His wands have never seemed heavy to me but they have always seemed cumbersome and he does seems frustrated and stressed and trying to move forward AND he's blocking his vision with those wands so that he doesn't see anything else and doesn't get distracted from where he's going because he's got to get those wands to their rightful place.
In that light I would think that the person's feelings are either "I can't look at her she's a distraction" or I can't be distracted from the "goal of getting to her".

btw Amanda, for someone who had no context, you said some pretty accurate things here about "starting fresh" etc. That could very well be what his card is indicating because this person would have to start fresh and is actually making preparations to do so with their entire life. I never would have seen that in this card before

The Empress could be a strong female figure that influences things here. She could suggest what you said about things happening naturally in their own good time; indicating for now a continued period of gestation. Maybe since you noticed the 'harvest' going on in the Empress, that is relevant for timing as to when you might see significant developments for action.

Just some thoughts..
I'm not a huge "timing" person when it comes to tarot and the cards never show up for me that way but I was trying to brainstorm about every possibility. But the gestation period is something to think about...she's got to do something with those reeds once they get there and that will take some time. But she's an expert at that (as the Empress) so it shouldn't be a problem :)

The Empress seems like the type of action that would enjoy harvesting more wheat. She would say, "Oh lovely. More grains, more riches." And then she goes about languidly preparing more delicious breads.

That is true about the Empress! I was trying to figure out how the nurturing part would fit in because I definitely saw something nurturing in the Empress this time (which I don't usually unless she comes up specifically as the mother). If I'm the Empress here - and I show up as the Empress a lot plus the question was specifically about me and this other person - it may be showing me that I don't have a need for this, I may want it but... "don't think you need it, Silverbells, you've completed your job and handed out your riches, now someone is bringing you riches so that you can make something out of it together - you get to keep this harvest." Huh.

Hi people!

I just want to point out that the empress can also be viewed as the source of the problem too. It might be that someone is giving too much care and concern to another person and might be seen as naggy and too much to bear, consistent with 10 of wands feeling of fatigue and "handling too much".

PH

Hi phacad :) The naggy, smothering Empress...lol I could see that happening. If I was going to interpret the cards this way, though, I think the Empress would have to come first with the 10 of wands coming after and being weighed down by the harvest and getting the heck out of dodge.

This is some really great input, guys. I delved deeper into the meanings of this spread in a very satisfactory way. I will see what happens and try to give an update.
And if you or any other members have more input please do! Thanks peeps :)