The A. P. Tarot

Lady Eclipse

Hi everyone!

I have some cards for you to see if you're interested. The link I'm giving goes to my deck links page. Scroll down to the A. P. Tarot and click on the spinning meteor next to it. I didn't want to link directly to the page itself because I thought it would spoil the fun of what A. P. stands for. Here it is:
http://www.geocities.com/ladyeclipseweb/Decks.html

Joy to you,
Maralee

Centaur

Hahahaha. I would never have guessed that AP meant that!!!!!! LOL! :) I like! Hehehehe.

Lady Eclipse

Hi Centaur!

Thank you very much for responding. I'm glad you like it. :) I thought it would be a really fun deck to make. I love the movies.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can make them better? I was limited to what photos I could find and couldn't do some of the cards the way I wanted to because of this. I'm a little stuck about a few characters. Since I wasn't able to find good pictures of the ones I thought would fit some of the majors, I'm going to have to improvise by using someone else. Any ideas on who could be what? I'll be putting up the Judgement card sometime today.

This is going to be a full 78 card Internet deck, complete with meanings and spreads. Any thoughts on what to call the suits? Thanks!

Joy to you,
Maralee

Centaur

I thought that it is a very humorous idea. And the cards have a sort of psychedelic twinge to them. Hehe.

I will have a further think on this and post back. :)

Astra

I'm puzzled.

You've said several times that you're very concerned about copyright violation for your own works, and yet the page states that you don't have permission to use these images. That normally includes permission to reproduce them in any public manner, such as on a website.

I think I'm seeing a discrepancy here...

Lady Eclipse

Hi Centaur,

Thank you! :) I was aiming for a little psychodelic feel. It's nice to know I achieved that.

I finished the majors and decided upon a sword suit. I put the ones I have up on my site but I had to redo it. I had too many images to put on one page. I really appreciate the help, thank you.

Joy to you,
Maralee

Lady Eclipse

Astra said:
I'm puzzled.

You've said several times that you're very concerned about copyright violation for your own works, and yet the page states that you don't have permission to use these images. That normally includes permission to reproduce them in any public manner, such as on a website.

I think I'm seeing a discrepancy here...

Hi Astra,

It is a tribute, just like all of those fan sites that you see on the web.

I'm puzzled because I haven't seen you write a similar type of post to the creator's of the Babylon 5 Tarot, the Disney Afternoon Tarot, the Star Trek Tarot, the Star Wars Tarot, nor to anyone else who is making a deck that is based on a movie, TV series, book, or game. Why are you singling me out?

Joy to you,
Maralee

HudsonGray

All the ones you mentioned are from the past few years, and I do have a problem with them too, even if they do say 'not for publication', none of the people who put the images together said that they got permission to do it from the respective studios.

However, your's is current for today (or is currently being made at this point in time) and is in the process of still being expanded. Legally I know a parody or cartoon of other people's copyright is allowed, but a 'tribute' is sort of touchy ground. Disney and Paramount, especially, protect their property with a vengence.

This HAS come up before, most lately when someone was asking about trying to break encryption on videos to get what they wanted to make a deck with images.

Perhaps a request for info from the list owner or moderator is in order? I feel uneasy when actual stuff is posted online when there's a copyright involved to another party. Most artists feel this way, so I can see why someone brought up the subject. I really don't know where Aeclectic stands on decks like this, as they do have several posted. Even if there is a 'not for publication' tacked onto the page.

dolphingirl

Lady Eclipse said:
Hi Astra,

It is a tribute, just like all of those fan sites that you see on the web.....

Maralee

Hi Maralee

I think the main reason that you were "singled out" is that your AP tarot is the latest one to be being talked about on Aeclectic as well as one of the few decks where the creator has taken images that are current and still under copyright status for use in a tarot deck. Also a bit of this (I am guessing) has to do with some of the comments from this earlier thread http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?threadid=25537

On a personal note my mom was a professional artist and before that a professional photographer and I remember all the problems she would have with people taking a image she has photographed and re-cropping it and calling it their own artwork. Meanwhile she got no credit or money for her artwork being used without her permission. Alot of people don't look at photographers or movie/tv creators as artists with rights to how there artwork is used and shown. I try to think about how I would feel if someone took an image of one of my artworks and changed a background here and there and added a few little things and called it their creation. Also movie and television shows spend alot of money and a time creating and controlling what is released to the media, when others use images from them without permission does it dilute the owners rights to their images or is it fair trade? It is really fascinating to look up "Dilution Through Unauthorized Use" on Google for whole lists of companies and products that have had problems when their image or name got diluted (Kodak, Kleenex, Xerox, Formica, Styrofoam Levi Strauss & Co, yellow pages and the list goes on) Alot of companies and people are worried that if they let others use their images/ names ECT to much that they will loose their rights to exclusivity and it will turn into common usage where anyone could use it.

I think that this is why alot of collage artists work with older artwork that is old enough to be out of copyright restrictions.

Also I think an important thing to keep in mind is how much an image is been changed when someone takes it to use for their creation. Did they just change it a tad or is it a totally new image completely different than the original?

These are just some of the problems and things people think about when a person uses an image from current pop culture that is still under copyright status and I think that these are some of the reasons people brought up this subject

Astra

Lady Eclipse said:
Hi Astra,

It is a tribute, just like all of those fan sites that you see on the web.

I'm puzzled because I haven't seen you write a similar type of post to the creator's of the Babylon 5 Tarot, the Disney Afternoon Tarot, the Star Trek Tarot, the Star Wars Tarot, nor to anyone else who is making a deck that is based on a movie, TV series, book, or game. Why are you singling me out?

Joy to you,
Maralee

Maralee,

I wasn't HERE when/if the creators of the decks you've referenced posted in this forum, or I would have asked the same questions of them. I have, in fact, spoken up to query a few other deck themes that have posted here, where I had enough knowledge to work on.

I might not even have mentioned this except that you have been so absolutely singleminded, in the past, about protecting the copyrights on your own work, by posting low-res graphics, and, in the case of the CC deck, not posting any images at all. And you have agreed totally with previous posts about the problems of protecting artwork that's displayed on the internet.

So, I was more than a bit surprised when I looked at the images on this deck and realized you'd copied them and were reproducing them on your site without permission. Nor did I expect you'd make any real reply other than to say "Oops!" and take the graphics down.

Tribute sites generally have links to other web pages that have the original material, they have reviews of the material on the original site, and, when they're done by adults rather than teenagers, they generally have permission to copy and quote from the original material. Your page has none of this.