The Chariot/Id-Ego-Superego Spread

allaboutsoul

Today in a graduate-level counseling class I'm in, the focus was on psychoanalysis, especially Sigmund Freud and his theory of personality. I have heard plenty about this theory, especially about the id, ego, and superego. Yesterday I had been looking at various 3-card tarot spreads, and the thought occurred to me that a 3-card tarot spread could focus on the id, the ego, and the superego.

For the uninitiated, I will briefly tell about the id, the ego, and the superego.

The Id, like a demanding child, involves our basic instincts and a desire for pleasure.

The Ego is realistic and logical, and it keeps the Id in check.

The Superego is, most simply, a person's moral code. It is "the judge" striving for moral perfection.

(Freudian personality theory is of course much more complicated than this, but I am summarizing.)

The Ego not only keeps the Id in check but also struggles to balance the Id and the Superego. An analogy I was once told about this is that the Ego is like a charioteer trying to control two horses. I thought of this analogy today and was reminded of the Tarot card of The Chariot. I never made my own Tarot spread before, and I wonder if this concept has been done before, but I was struck by the similarity and thought of a spread focusing on the Id, Ego, and Superego, laid out like a charioteer and his two horses (or sphinxes). Here is my idea, which I think might be useful for both general readings and specific situations. I haven't tried it yet, but I really like the idea and would love feedback.

****[3]***

[1] ***** [2]

Card 1 is the Id (also one of the horses or sphinxes of The Chariot). It is the querent's instinctual desires for pleasure.

Card 2 is the Superego (and the other horse or sphinx of The Chariot). It is the querent's conscience and/or moral beliefs.

Card 3 is the Ego (and the charioteer). It is the querent's realistic and logical side.

I'm interested to see how this spread could play out in readings and I'd love to see people try it, especially if it turns out that cards 1 and 2 end up being in conflict, with card 3 being a sort of mediator between them.

astronautica

Ohh, I've just finished a unit on psychoanalysis in literary studies! I'd love to try this spread out, it seems like it could be very revealing :) I'll let you know how it goes!

MaineGirl117

I've done this spread, and have a couple insights on it.

One of my thoughts before I began, is how will this draw be applicable - a lot of people usually have a good idea on what brings them pleasure, their moral beliefs, and how they rationalize things (logical/realistic side). I thought perhaps this would be good to use as a snapshot or situational spread.

When I drew my cards, I thought it pretty crazy that I drew all majors. I got a sense that perhaps this spread would work best with just all majors in the three positions. Out of curiosity, I flipped the deck over to see the shadowcard (using this card as the 'current situation') Ahh.. it made more sense to me now! (Perhaps the situation card should be drawn from the minors?)

Here were the questions I used (slightly adjusted) for the spread:

Shadowcard: What is the current situation?
1.) How do I find my pleasure?
2.) How do my conscience and/or moral beliefs aid me in this process?
3.) How do I use my realistic and logical side to resolve this issue?

Just some thoughts! My reading provided some interesting insights to my current situation.