The Emperor reinforces the Kings??

casia

When in a reading or a spread you get the Emperor and one King, would the Emperor reinforce the qualities or defects of the king or would it be the other way around. Would it be a strong combination of cards in the reading? Would it mean that someone is very important???

rwcarter

I think of the Emperor as the King of Kings. Depending on which card has the focus, the King might be pointing toward the specific aspect of the Emperor or the Emperor could be indicating that the King needs to act more broadly, incorporating aspects from the other three suits.

SunChariot

Actually, for me, I do not connect the two. The Emperor and Kings have almost opposite meanings. for me. The Emperor is about the rules, He is the one who sets the rules and tells you what you can or cannot (or at least should of should not do).

The Kings are, for me, about self-mastery. They are those who have mastered the art of their suits inside themselves. The King of Swords has mastered his thoughts, The King of Cups has gotten all his feelings under his control, The King of Wands had mastered within himself the art of creating just what he wants out of life. And the King of Pents has mastered within himself the art of goal-setting within himself.

So the Kings for me are about self-mastery, mastering within themselves (alons and in a very individiual way) the art of their suits. In that sense for a King to be a King, he actually needs to ignore the Emperor and learn to find his own patht hat is best for him whether it conforms to the rules or not.

Also in that sense, to me anyway, the Kings are more closely related to the Hermit. As self mastery likely reqires some alone time to work things out.

Babs

Hlb9525

I tend to see the Kings as falling under the Emperor, subservient to him.

Like the office building where I work. We have the Administrator, then under him fall the section heads. Head of Payroll, Head of HR, Head of Registration, etc.

The Emperor can see how to organize the chaos that is life. So he creates the rules accordingly so that things (should) work well together and everything functions in an orderly fashion. He is the authority, if you want to know why that rule is in place, he is the one to ask because he can tell you why.

The Kings, are the leaders in their suits. They take the rules that them Emperor has passed to them, and they interpret them according to their needs and then use them to create the order that the Emperor expects.

For example, the Emperor sends out a memo that says "every member of your dept. must work a full 8 hours a day. They get 1 hour for lunch, and 2 fifteen minute breaks daily."

The K/P would prob'ly interpret this exactly. You are on the clock for 8 hours a day, 1 hour for lunch and 2 - 15 minute breaks. And you if you are lax in observing this, the K/P would prob'ly write you up. As the more physical/money focused of the kings, he, more then any of them expects a days work for a days pay.

The King of Cups though.. may have a more relaxed view of it. As long as your work was done on time, it was OK if you clocked in 10 minutes late today, you were running late, he understands that and sympathizes. Or, if your lunch hour ran into 90 minutes instead of 60, because you had run into an old friend, it was ok, just as long as your assignments were finished on time, and being late isn't a regular thing.

If I were to get both the Emperor and a King in a personal reading, I would first look at wether I need to enforce some rules or maybe even relax or re-evalute them. They are both strong cards, and I could see them as reading that maybe I am being overwhelmed by too many rules in the "king" area, or maybe I need to create some new rules in teh area that the King is representing, becuase the chaos is overwhelming. It would depend on the question, spread and the other cards, of course, as to whether I interpreted the cards as representing people or occurances.

HB