The Fool's Journey

Kristofski

I am new to the tarot, and I am trying to become familiar with the different cards. I have been reading the explinations on this website, where it describes the journey of the Fool and the different situations he finds himself in that correspond to the different cards. I found this a very useful way to learn about the meaning of the tarot, especially as it talked about how the numbers of the minor arcarna corespond to the major arcarna. I was wondering if anyone knew of any books that elaborate more on the story of the tarot and talk about them in this way? any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Kristofski x

TarotMoon

There are quite a few books that do, here are several:

Tarot and the Journey of the Hero - Hajo Banzhaf
Mastering the Tarot - Juliet Sharman-Burke

The Complete Tarot Reader - Teresa Michelsen
(my book; I drew on the above resources in part)

euripides

you might want to read Joseph Campbell's 'Hero's Journey' also.

I've recently learned about some alternative approaches to myth - basically the 'monomyth' approach of Campbell, Graves et al being well discredited and that combined with learning that the majors originally were un-numbered or were variously numbered depending on the region, has made me leave behind the Hero's Journey idea. I'm sure it has value and is one useful way 'into' tarot but I'm now looking at different approaches.