The Magus

baba anand

Can somebody plese give me the exact pictorial description of the Magus. I am an artist and want to paint the card! Thanks!!

firemaiden

Do you mean you would like to create a Magus card, (the Magician) of your own? Are you creating a tarot deck? Wouldn't it be better to have a look at one yourself?

It would be best, if you are interested in creating tarot cards, to learn something about the Tarot first, what the cards mean, the symbolism.

To be honest, the first deck I bought, I only bought for this very reason. I wanted to create my own deck, (on opera characters) and thought I ought to know a little about the tarot... So I bought the Thoth tarot, in a pocket version, it came together with a very book by Hajo Banzhaff/Akron going into great detail about every symbol and myth associated with each card.

But... be warned...you'll get hooked...

Aoife

Are you asking for what people see when they look at the card? What visual aspects stand out?

firemaiden

ooops, your profile shows you've been studying tarot for four years. ..Sorry, I've surely misinterpreted your question.

But, please, what does your question mean???

Rusty Neon

Like the others who've responded so far, I don't quite understand your question. I'll take a stab at it now, and we can all help out more once you get more details about your question.

The best textual description of the Magus card is in Crowley's own book on this deck: _The Book of Thoth_. There is also a textual description of this card in Harris' notes to her exhibition of the Thoth paintings; those notes are reproduced in the U.S. Games little white booklet to the deck.

Otherwise, a picture is worth a thousand words, and I refer you to the actual card in physical or in internet form.

At the link below (bottom of web page), you can see scans of the official Magus card (in the centre), flanked on both the left and right hand sides by the rejected forms of the card. All three versions of this card appear in the Thoth deck printings that have the so-called three maguses.

http://www.learntarot.com/acdesc.htm