The Neuziet Tarot... Lovers = Crossroad...Differance in card titles & LWB definitions

Tarot dance

The Neuziet Tarot... Lovers = Crossroad...Differance in card titles & LWB definitions

***Moderators: If this is the wrong forum for this I apologize in advance,,,,

On impulse, which sadly is how I usually live my life……I grabbed my Neuzeit (New Age) Tarot for my daily draw. I pull a card daily from one of my 203 tarot decks (obsession & compulsion...I know it's sad....) it has proven fun and has me pulling out decks I have not seen in years must less actually used….

But I digress, I pulled The Lovers, #6 for my card of the day…I like to use explanations & keywords provided by either the LWB or whatever book came with the deck. This exercise of pulling a card each day from different decks has proved a valuable learning tool for me and has help expand my understand of both the meaning & symbology found with in the different decks.

So I pulled The Lovers, #6…but when I looked in the LWB The Lovers is not listed in the definitions for the Major Arcana. Instead #6 is titled Crossroads

...From the LWB.....

#6 Crossroads:

The path to a conscious decision. The school of life in all fields. The right choice. The principles of life.

Divinatory Meaning:

Success though independent decisions. Refusing to decide is nonetheless a decision. Immobility leads to stagnation. All-round and versatile education. Wealth implies responsibility.

Reversed:

Indecision. Victim of a bluff and of one’s wealth. Bondage, helplessness, dependence, aimlessness. A parasite.

This definitions for The Lovers do not coincide with how I have, oh for the last 35 years of so, viewed The Lovers….I am somewhat confused and was hoping someone had some insight into this deck and these alternate labeling used in the LWB. I looked at the other Major Arcana listed in the LWB. Below is what I have found

Card Titles - # - LWB Titles

The Lovers - #6 – Crossroads

The Hermit - #9 – The Wise Man

The Test - #12 – The Hanged Man (Reversed in LWB)

Destruction - #16 – The Tower (Reversed in LWB)

I loved the deck and have for years occasionally used it for my daily draws….but this is the first time I came across card this listed in the LWB that different than the card titles….

Any information you have on the deck and wish to share would be greatly appreciated….

Thank you from A somewhat perplexed Tarot dance…

Maskelyne

The variant titles in the LWB are translations of the German titles of the cards. For whatever reason, the publisher chose to use traditional card names for the English and French titles.

Entscheidung means "decision", and is in keeping with the traditional interpretation of this card. Similar to the Tarot de Marseille, this card shows a man between two women. The common interpretation for the TdM image is that he must choose between them.

nisaba

The Neuzeit is one of the decks that really, really rewards just sinking yourself into the image. They are so redolent with detail and with colour that the best way to use them is to keep away from books and meanings and card titles, and just sink into the image and see what you get.

So far there's been discussion about words. What did you actually *feel* the moment you pulled the card? What did the image itself make you think of?

Tarot dance

***Thanks to everyone for you input. I am going to read the card intuitively...which I usually do....but I have been studying traditional meanings of the card, usually, but not always decks that are clones or similar to R/W/S decks

I found the following in a web seatch (I neglected to document where) while doing some research on the deck....

Known as the Neuzeit Tarot , which translates to English as New Age , it is a creation of painter and musician Walter Wegmüller known as the Swiss Gypsy who was on the run from authorities in the late '60s when he hung out with artist H.R. Giger, and in the early '70s, with LSD guru Timothy Leary. This is one very trippy deck! Is that a psychedelic mushroom on The Fool card? The characters on the cards have peculiar faces and some of the cards are just strange beyond description. Each card has a unique patterned border. Walter Wegmüller also is the designer of the Gypsy Tarot Tsigane

What I did not know was the Walter Wegmüller also designed the Gypsy Tarot Tsigane...another one of my favorite decks....

I am intrigued about the history of both decks as well as Wegmüller so I hope to be able to find time to reseach both him and the Neuzeit Tarot as well as Gypsy Tarot Tsigane....

Tarot dance

I am very excited…I just got The World of Tarot: The Gypsy Method of Reading the Tarot by Sergius Golowin. From the back cover This is the first book ever published to explain the Gypsy Tarot Tsigane Deck painted by Walter Wegműller.

I must have misread or misunderstood because I had thought is would explain the Neuzeit Tarot….but I’m still excited to get it…I have just started reading it….it seems like an easy read….

Does anyone know of such a book for the Neuziet Tarot?

nisaba

Tarot dance;4705228 [I said:
Known as the Neuzeit Tarot , which translates to English as New Age , it is a creation of painter and musician Walter Wegmüller known as the Swiss Gypsy who was on the run from authorities in the late '60s

I didn't know this! I'd love to know why they were after him.

The characters on the cards have peculiar faces and some of the cards are just strange beyond description. Each card has a unique patterned border. Walter Wegmüller also is the designer of the Gypsy Tarot Tsigane[/I]

I don't know his other deck, but I find an uncanny similarity to the Tarot of the Witches or 007 Tarot by Fergus Hall. The Neuzeit is lacier and lighter, also much more detailed, but they both have a similar artistic sensibility which I rather like.