The pages as people!!!

katherienp

My question relates to page of pentacles is this usually a boy, page of cups usually a girl, page of swords usually a girl and page of wands usually a boy??

Thanks,

Katherien

SunChariot

katherienp said:
My question relates to page of pentacles is this usually a boy, page of cups usually a girl, page of swords usually a girl and page of wands usually a boy??

Thanks,

Katherien
As far as I can remember all my Pages are boys. As far as I know, pages (in real courts) were always boys, weren't they? I never heard of a girl page.

Babs

celticnoodle

I think it's pretty much up to the individual reading hte cards as to how they want to label the page of anything in their deck. I tend to think of pages as very young pre-teens (not really giving it a sex either way, unless I can 'feel' a definate sex in the card), and the knight as teens to young adults. the queen and king even don't necessarily have a sex, unless again, i do 'feel' there is definately a sex with the card when I'm reading at the point.

I can see a queen as representing a male, but perhaps a male who is gentle, loving and nurturing in nature/depending on the situation of the card and surrounding cards as well. I've also seen the king in readings as representing women who are quite strong and in leadership roles--aggressive and commanding in nature.

so, like anything else in tarot--I feel you have to just work your way through assigning how YOU as the reader will see the court card. they are difficult though, and I find them the most challenging cards in the deck usually.

Nevada

I sometimes see the pages as young people, possibly children, or simply as people who are young at heart, or vulnerable, or open and receptive, maybe impressionable. The Pages always seem more introverted to me than the Knights. The Knight is active, putting out energy, but the Page is taking things in, learning, willing to help but in a more cooperative than rescuing sort of way. Where the Knight might swoop in and take charge of a situation, the Page will say "What can I do to help?" and take direction.

The Page of Pentacles is sometimes seen as a studious, dutiful, or hard working young person. In a family this might be the child who's always willing to help with chores, or tries to fix things -- and maybe succeeds, as some kids turn out to have a knack for that. He or she is practical minded, has some common sense. They're good with their hands, and possibly interested in making things.

214red

i think their traits of a person not sex.
I had an ex always show up as a page, even though he was over 30! it was his mental age

AngelDancer

In lots of decks Pages are called Princesses or Daughters and the Knights Princes and Sons...

Historically Pages were boys.

I tend to think of them as children or students who can be either male or female depending on the context. They can also be messengers.

Looking at the court cards in a sort of linear fashion, the pages are at the beginning of the journey of learning mastery of their particular element.

Sometimes a singular adjective such as 'vulnerable' for the Page/Princess of Cups will leap out at me. At other times it will be a visual clue, such as the tortoise in the Swedish Witch Princess of Cups, telling me to slow down and reign my emotions in. Reading for someone else, it might be the otter sitting nex to the Princess that stands out instead.

The Page of Swords is the kid who can't stop asking 'why'. The Page of Pentacles is the straight A student... The Page of Wands usually means some kind of communication... but it all depends...

Sorry if I rambled - hope this helps.

celticnoodle

214red said:
i think their traits of a person not sex.
I had an ex always show up as a page, even though he was over 30! it was his mental age
:laugh: thank you for this laugh, 214! :D

and, yes, I agree with this too. sometimes the pages can be immature adults, and also adults who are just very irresponsible. and someone else mentioned they can be messengers, which is very true too! in fact, I generally see

page of cups as emotional news coming to you, as well as news coming to you via phone or email.

page of wands can be news that is unexpected coming your way, as well as news regarding travel.

page of swords is generally news that is bad news, or gossip, and also news in print. (newspaper or letter for example).

the page of pentacles is news regarding money or property and generally beneficial to the receiver. it can also be information through visions or just a gut feeling that something is going to come about.

and while knights can also be messengers, when they bring news, it is generally important news--(not that the pages news is unimportant), and is news that is about a long term condition--changing things for the better or worse.

knight of wands as a messenger can be about the loss of a job, or a new job requiring extensive travel/relocation.

knight of cups are generally about travels again--but usually by boat or over a large body of water/near a large body of water. also news about emotional issues.

knight of swords--can be news of air travel as well as negative news catching you off guard.

knight of pentacles generally is news regarding the act of planning for somehting to come.

again--these are MY opinions, and it also changes depending on the reading-the question, the surrounding cards, etc.

Niklas Zweig

Well, you know in the Crowley Tarot the pages are princesses. Easily influenced and female, altars of their aces, and quite distinct from the other court cards. I'm pretty used to that view.

I consider the pages in my Tarot de Marseille deck to be shown as androgynous - and I interpret it in that way that they may be male historically, but really very perceptive, having female traits. I take that as an allusion to habits in ancient Greece (which may be nothing to do with the cards historically).

N.

nisaba

I go on the magical assignations of the elements: Earth (Pentacles) and Water (Cups) are both goddess elements, so the Pages will indicate either a girl-child or a slightly withdrawn boy-child. Air (Swords) and Fire (Wands) are both God-elements, so pages are likely to be boys or tomboyish girls.